Discuss your home observatory!
jrkirkham United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Advice on a Warm Room

Post by jrkirkham »

Now that I have the Skyshed POD on a deck about three and a half miles from my home. I am considering adding a warm room near the observatory. I am considering a small garden shed. I am looking at an 8x12 Barn with two small lofts, a 6' door, and no windows. My thought is to turn the lofts into bunks for sleeping. On the ground floor I am considering a desk with a couple of folding chairs. I have a small heating system that runs off a 20 lb propane tank. I plan to keep it off grid, but may add solar power later. I do plan to eventually insulate. At first I just want to put the building up, then finish it off later.I plan to keep it small and on skids to make it easier to heat and to avoid property tax.

Before I move much more on this I thought I would write out my ideas and see what advice others may have. Does anyone have anything like that? If so, what do you like about it? What don't you like? What advice do you have? What would you do over?
Rob
Telescopes: 50mm refractor, ED80 triplet, 90mm makcass, 10" dob, 8"SCT, 11"SCT
Mounts: Celestron CGX, Orion Sirius + several camera tripods
Cameras: Canon 6D, Canon 80D, ZWO-ASI120MC
Binoculars: 10x50, 12x60, 15x70, 25-125x80
Observatory: SkyShed POD XL3 + 8x12 warm room
AL Projects Completed: Lunar #645, Outreach #0280, Universe Sampler #93-T, Binocular Messier #871, Messier #2521, Messier Honorary #2521, Constellation Hunter Northern Skies #112, Planetary Transit Venus #1, Galileo #26, Outreach Stellar 0280, Meteor Regular #157, Solar System Telescopic #209-I, Observer Award #1
AL Projects Currently in Process: Double Stars, Comet, Lunar Evolution