Discuss your home observatory!
jrkirkham United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Where O Where Should I Place My Dome?

Post by jrkirkham »

Now that I have my Pod ordered I want to double check with those of you who have observatories. I have often bounced ideas off the forum and that has saved me from a number of mistakes. I am about 1.5 years from retirement and expect to spend a lot of time there. What are your thoughts?

OPTION 1: Bortle 4.5

In my backyard where I can come and go easily and perhaps run it remotely from my garage
This is my wife's favorite option because she thinks I will use it more.
She may be right on this one.

OPTION 2: Bortle 4

Less than 5 miles from my home on a friend's farm.
This location has a clearer view of all horizons.

OPTION 3: Bortle 3

A half-hour drive. On another farm owned by a friend.
This location is fairly dark and no one lives on the property. The property is behind a locked gate.
This one is harder to get to, but has the most privacy.

For options 2 & 3 I would need to eventually construct a combination warm room/sleeping quarters. For option one I would stay in my own bed and create a warm room from a section of a building already on the site.

So which is better for a retired person for the next several years? Is it better to have easy access with light pollution or harder to reach with darker skies? Those of you that have observatories, if you had it to do over, which would you choose?
Rob
Telescopes: 50mm refractor, ED80 triplet, 90mm makcass, 10" dob, 8"SCT, 11"SCT
Mounts: Celestron CGX, Orion Sirius + several camera tripods
Cameras: Canon 6D, Canon 80D, ZWO-ASI120MC
Binoculars: 10x50, 12x60, 15x70, 25-125x80
Observatory: SkyShed POD XL3 + 8x12 warm room
AL Projects Completed: Lunar #645, Outreach #0280, Universe Sampler #93-T, Binocular Messier #871, Messier #2521, Messier Honorary #2521, Constellation Hunter Northern Skies #112, Planetary Transit Venus #1, Galileo #26, Outreach Stellar 0280, Meteor Regular #157, Solar System Telescopic #209-I, Observer Award #1
AL Projects Currently in Process: Double Stars, Comet, Lunar Evolution
AntennaGuy United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Where O Where Should I Place My Dome?

Post by AntennaGuy »

Option 1, IMHO, if you have a good view of the sky. You can/will use it for more years (as you become older and less able to travel), and more often.
:twocents:
(I don't have an observatory, but I've been planning to get one.)
* Meade 323 refractor on a manual equatorial mount.
* Celestron C6 SCT on a Twilight 1 Alt-Az mount
Prof. Barnhardt to Klaatu in The Day the Earth Stood Still: "There are several thousand questions I'd like to ask you.”
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Tough one. If you have a B3 less than an hour away, I'd be inclined to locate there. OTOH, walking out to your backyard is likely to be used more often IMO.

The trump card is what your wife wants though. That's just self-preservation and saving yourself much potential grief. :D
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Sky United States of America
Moon Ambassador

Post by Sky »

Option 4 .... sell your house and move to a dark sky location. That's what I did 30 years ago and I never regretted it.

Actually, I'd go with Option 1 ... you'll get a lot more use out of your equipment.
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

reason for sleeping facilities for 30 min drive to remotely accessed dome? is the dome not going to be fully remote access ? , what is the internet speed like on these remote farm locations ?.

(option 3 ) A 30 min drive seems like a sweet spot ,better sky and not too far to adjust anything/collimate ectt.

if i was to retire i would be thinking of packing up my bags and leaving the city which i don't need to be near anymore.

that bortle 1 dream
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

If you plan to be at the observatory in person, option 1 is the best. You'll use it more if you are right there.

The remote options are good if you make the observatory fully remote/automatic. If there is reasonable Internet access, forget the warm room and spend the money instead on automation.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1037

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Gordon »

I agree with option 1. It's much better to physically be at the location. Things do go wrong from time to time and it's nice to be able to run outside to fix a problem. I have always run my equipment via a VNC program so I can sit inside the house to monitor the equipment. But I can still go out to bring the scope / laptop back inside. The mount always stayed outside in the observatory.
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

fatboy1271
Pluto Ambassador

Post by fatboy1271 »

First, I'm jealous you have 1 option, let alone 3! That's awesome!!!

Living in a Bortle 8-9 I would drool over option 1 and be comfortable. That's all I have to say about that.

fat
OTAs: Explore Scientific ED80 Essential Edition / The Little Guy (Celestron 90SLT)
Mount: Celestron Advanced VX
Gear: Canon 70D / Hutech LPS-D1-48 / ES 2" Field Flattener / QHY PoleMaster / Celestron GPS / ZWO ASI120MC / Orion 50mm Guide Scope / ZWO EAF
Software: CPWI / PHD2 / N.I.N.A / Stellarium/StellariumScope/Remote Control / PI / RegiStax 6 / AutoStakkert!2 / PIPP | Retired? BackyardEOS Premium
EPs: Stock Celestron 9mm and 24mm / Celestron Omni 32mm (I love this one!) / Celestron X-Cel LX 3x Barlow (I think 2X would have been smarter...)
Support Staff (Loved Ones!): CeCe, Ro, and Geno
Let's Go Pens!!!
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Your home sky is not too bad, so I would also go with option 1. This makes it easier to set it up and operate. If you home conditions deteriorate with time (this happened to me) you can always relocate your obsy, or even built another one at the Bortle 3 location.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
Ozypic
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Ozypic »

Keep it simple .
Phill. Dreaming of Clear Skys .... :D :D :D
SCOPE : Skywatcher 120X600 ST Achromatic Refractor. 
EP's : 25mm & 10mm Plossl , Celestron 8/24mm Zoom EP,
Filters : Solar filter, Badder Fringe Killer & Moon/Skyglow. 
MOUNT : Skywatcher Star Discovery goto Mount.
CAMERAS : ZWO 120 asi MC. / Sony HX400V 50X Zoom.
Binoculars : Saxon 10x50
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 584

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

I vote option 1, sounds like you have pretty good skies at home. If you are as close as your own backyard to your observatory surely you will use it more and get more observing and photographic pleasure. Driving in winter is kind of a pain and probably something I would avoid. (Although that's just me).

Good luck with your decision, whichever way you decide to go.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
DeanD Australia
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by DeanD »

Hi Rob,

I'll join the chorus for #1. :)

You have a reasonable backyard sky so you will get far more use out of it with instant set-up and convenience, it will be fine for AP, and on the odd occasion when you are feeling up to the drive to a darker sky you can easily go to one of your friends' properties. Personally, I don't think it would be worth all the hassle of setting up a country observatory if you are only gaining 1 or 2 steps on the Bottle scale. Now if you could easily access a Bortle 1 or 2 sky... ;)

If my wife supported setting up an observatory in my backyard I would strike while the iron is hot!!! (For the record: that is never going to happen!) When she told me to buy a Takahashi scope (because she was sick of my complaints about my current refractor) it was on order the next morning!

Good luck with your new venture,

Dean
Telescopes: 12" f5 dob, Celestron CPC800, 150mmf5 Celestron achro, Tak TSA102, TV76, ETX125...
Binos: Steiner Wildlife XP 10x26, Swarovski 8x30 Habicht, Zeiss SFL 8x40, Vanguard Endeavour 10.5x45, Fuji FMTR-SX 10x50, Tak 22x60, Orion Resolux 15x70
Eyepieces: way too many (is that possible?), but I do like my TV 32mm plossl, 13mm Nagler T6, 27mm Panoptic and 3-6mm Nagler zoom, plus Fujiyama 18mm and 25mm orthos and Tak 7.5mm LE
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by jrkirkham »

Thank you everyone. I have until spring to decide, but I think I am leaning toward option 1. Even if I automate I know I would want to spend a lot of time near the observatory. I've enjoyed the night since I was a little kid. I think going totally remote would take away part of the romance for me. When I go to my dark sky location now I often set the camera up to image and use another camera to take nightscapes or a pair of binoculars to look over the night sky. Neither of the other options has Internet access without quite a bit of extra cost. I like the darker sky, but I think I might use the scope a lot more if it is just outside the back door.
Rob
AL Projects Completed: Lunar #645, Outreach #0280, Universe Sampler #93-T, Binocular Messier #871, Messier #2521, Messier Honorary #2521, Constellation Hunter Northern Skies #112, Planetary Transit Venus #1, Galileo #26, Outreach Stellar 0280, Meteor Regular #157, Solar System Telescopic #209-I, Observer Award #1
Edsland
Earth Ambassador

Post by Edsland »

Im option 1 if only what if something out of your control happens to your friends and they have to sell

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Edsland wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:41 am Im option 1 if only what if something out of your control happens to your friends and they have to sell

Now *that's* a good point.
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by jrkirkham »

That's a good point. My friend is financially stable and not given to risky investments. He owns both of the farms I mentioned. I don't see him losing them. He is my age, however. That means he is also close to retirement. Both of his children moved out of state. He doesn't plan on it, but if he changes his mind he could sell his place and move closer to his kids. If he did I would have to tear everything down and relocate.
Rob

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Maybe he'd give you a ground lease for $1 a year for 20 years. Not sure if that would hold up if the land were sold though.
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by jrkirkham »

Well, I guess I am a step closer. I picked out a spot, marked it out and applied for a building permit. I also talked to a person about helping me with it. Our goal will be to get the deck in by the end of the year. That seems slow, but I work a lot of hours and the guy who is going to help me is a farmer. He is in the fields for harvest right now.
Rob
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

Hi, Rob. I'm a bit late to the party, but I am a fan of option 1 as well. No obsy here, but if I had to drive to and stay at a remote location to image, my wife would not be a happy camper - and neither would I. I will be retiring in a few months, and she is onboard with me being able to spend more time during the week setting up and imaging. Right now due to the job, I am limited to Friday/Saturday night, and neither of us like that restriction as it cuts into our time together and our socializing.

Being able to walk out a few feet is worth dealing with brighter skies, and I say that from a Bortle 7-8 location. Dealing with LP in post-processing is a lot better than dealing with an unhappy wife.

Congrats on the upcoming build and chance to stay set up at all times - you are living the dream!

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by jrkirkham »

I think you are correct, Bob. I am close to some really dark skies, but I am also a year and a half from retirement. I don't think the dark skies will do me much good if I only get out there a few times each year. This summer I only made it out three times. I think it is better to trade some LP for having a set up in my own back yard. If I find out differently later, I'll just move it.

I feel your frustration. A few years ago I was out just about every weekend. Then I had retina surgery that didn't go well and got sidelined for a couple of years. Then, like the workaholic that I am, I picked up a couple of small 10/hr. week part-time jobs to go with my full-time job. Now I am preparing for what's next, but I already know I am going to feel like a beginner again. That's okay with me though. I enjoy the challenge of learning more than the boredom of knowing what I am doing.
Rob