Where O Where Should I Place My Dome?

Discuss your home observatory!
Gulf Coast Guy
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

Re: Where O Where Should I Place My Dome?

Post by Gulf Coast Guy »

with retirement looming I'd stay in my back yard. Things can change. Trust me on that one. I had a stroke back in Feb and it took the lower left quadrant of my visual field. Now I don't dare drive, no choice. Before the stroke if I had taken either of the other options I'd be loading my wife down with the drive - )at night). I'm sorta back in the swing but maintaining a remote site i think could get a bit rough.

Just food for thought.

GCG
OTA's: 203mm f10 Meade SCT (LXD75); Antares 80mm Refractor w/William Optics APOGrade f6.9 objective; Orion Starseeker 80 f11.2 Refractor
Mount/tripod's: Meade LXD-75 EQ; Orion Starseeker IV ALT/AZ; Celestron Heavy Duty ALT/AZ Farpoint UBM (Universal Binocular Mount)
Eyepieces:Meade - 26mm plossl, 12mm Astrometric; GSO (OPT badge) 2" Superview 50mm & 30mm 1.25" 15mm; TMB Planetary Series 9mm, 6mm, & 4mm: 10mm & 23mm 60° that came with the 80mm f11.2
Barlows: Orion 2x Shorty; Meade 4000 Series 3x
Binoculars:Brunton 10x50 Celestron Skymaster 15x70 Oberwerk 25x100 IF delux
John Fitzgerald United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Fitzgerald »

Option one. I have tried option 3, and use it less and less as I age, and it's Bortle 2, on a remote site that I own. Option one, I use nearly every suitable night.
Double and multiple star observer. Over 3,500 unique pairs logged.

No good deed goes unpunished.
astrowolf67
Earth Ambassador

Post by astrowolf67 »

I would vote for option 1, simply for security reasons. Times have changed, and, I would no longer feel comfortable leaving thousands of dollars worth of equipment where I couldn't check up on it frequently. We live in a rural area, moved here 20 years ago, to escape the city and it's problems. We've been burglariezed once (in broad daylight at that), and have caught MANY snoopers and prowlers on our various trail cams.
David
Celestron 8" Starhopper Dob, Meade Starfinder EQ 8", Apertura 6" F/5, Meade 114NT, Edmund Astroscan, ES AR102, Sky Watcher 102mm Mak, ETX 80, ETX 60, Orion ST80, Sears Discoverer 4 6333a, Meade LXD75, ES Twilight 1, Star Adventurer 2i
dagadget United States of America
Mars Ambassador

Post by dagadget »

OK

I have ordered a Skyshed Pod and know where I am going to place mine when it gets here. Has your observatory arrived and how is it going? With Covid 19 things slowed way down and normally I would not post this far from the last post but an update would be nice. :observatory:
Astro-Tech AT 152EDT Ioptron GEM 45 Mount AKA FracZilla
Celestron C11 Carbon Fiber CGEM II Mount AKA Cloudzilla
Sky Watcher Mak Cas 180 Ioptron IEQ 30 AKA MoonZilla
AT 92 on IEQ 30 Pro AKA ClusterZilla
Home Made 8 inch Newtonian Reflector on Rocker Box AKA Scopezilla
Celestron 4 1/2 114 mm Newtonian Telescope 910 F/L GT Mount AKA Frankenscope.

David
Valen
Moon Ambassador

Post by Valen »

I built my HomeDome in the backyard. I do have some trees that could have hurt my viewing. So I built a room 12x12 Put my dome on top of that. Mount the pier to the concrete floor. Ran it up to the top. Running the pier through the top floor makes for a solid base. No vibration even if it is windy. Having the dome 8 feet off the ground allows me to views. I am on 5 acres. The only trees that bother me are the ones to the south. Not enough to cut them down. Plus I have in floor heat. So I stay warm. I use folding attic stairs to get to the scope. Having your dome close will allow you to use it more. Congrats on your new dome. Also is the farm land worked for crops. If so the dust from working the fields would get into the dome.
Scope:Celestron: C8 Owned since 1976, Celestron EdgeHD 14 Mount: CGEM DX, CGX-L, Ioptron CEM120EC
EP: Tele Vue 8mm Delos, Tele Vue Ethos 21mm Tele Vue 2x Barlow, Tele-Vue 2x power mate, Tele-Vue Apollo 11 Commemorative, Celestron K12,25,40.
Camera:Canon EOS 600d Home Dome 10'