Mike's Low-Budget Home Observatory (WIP)

Discuss your home observatory!
chartram United States of America
Saturn Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Mike's Low-Budget Home Observatory (WIP)

Post by chartram »

Graeme1858 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:10 pm Coming along nicely Mike.

Looking forward to seeing how the roof rolls.

Regards

Graeme
Me too sir!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mike Chartrand
Scopes: WO Star 71 Gen-II (F/4.9), Astro-Tech AT115EDT (F/7), Celestron 8" Edge HD (F/10)
Cameras: ZWO ASI1600MM w/ Baader 1.25" LRGB & Narrowband Filters, ZWO ASI174MM mini, Starlight Xpress Lodestar X2
Mount: Skywatcher NEQ6 Pro
Guiding: Orion ST-80 (f/5) w/ADM MiniMax (side-by-side), ZWO OAG
Software: PHD2, Sequence Generator Pro, PixInsight
Dark Site Transportation System: 2020 Telluride SX
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chartram »

OK,

Hopefully this will be the last update until the shed is actually framed and modified. We did the calculations this morning for the framing, and I went and picked up the last few supplies.

Can't believe it all fit in there, but it did :lol:

Wood for framing/modification, feet for gantry legs and screws/washers: $350.00

The goal despite soaring lumber prices is to have a functional roll-off for under $2,000.00

Total cost so far: $1,760.00
Mike Chartrand
Scopes: WO Star 71 Gen-II (F/4.9), Astro-Tech AT115EDT (F/7), Celestron 8" Edge HD (F/10)
Cameras: ZWO ASI1600MM w/ Baader 1.25" LRGB & Narrowband Filters, ZWO ASI174MM mini, Starlight Xpress Lodestar X2
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chartram »

Well,

It's all framed up, just finished this weekend. Only things left to do for it to function are build the gantry and make the roof cut! Of course there will be other things outside the scope of 'low budget,' like temp/humidity control, radiant barrier etc.

Framing was pretty straightforward. Did a traditional style framework for the lower portion, except with 4x4's as the top runners for added weight and strength. Also used 4x4's for the top framework as they add extra weight and rigidity. The framing felt 'ok' when first completed. Then after screwing the outer walls of the shed to the framework and screwing the baseplates into the platform, it became amazingly rigid, like rock solid beyond what I had expected. Guess time will tell if there are any gremlins to conquer.

I have a lot more pics than this, so if anyone has any questions about specific parts, please let me know.

Sorry for the let-down, Graeme... Next post should have something about how the roof rolls lol

The weekend was a great learning experience. My buddy who has been helping me had a family emergency, so I installed the lower frame and built and installed the upper frame/roller myself! Took forever because I didn't really know what I was doing, but got through it with some new acquired skills.

Total price still holding at $1,760.00

Cheers!

Mike
Mike Chartrand
carastro Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by carastro »

Just wondering why you are taping up the vent, surely that would help with the ventilation. You'll be using this at night so light leak won't be a problem.

Carole
Mount: HEQ5 + Polemaster
Guiding: SW Finderguider and QHY5
Scopes: Skywatcher ED80, Skywatcher ED120, William Optics ZS71, Samyang 135MM F2 lens,
Cameras: Atik460EX, Atik428EX, Canon 1100D
Filters: Baader

https://sites.google.com/view/astrophot ... -pope/home
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chartram »

carastro wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:52 am Just wondering why you are taping up the vent, surely that would help with the ventilation. You'll be using this at night so light leak won't be a problem.

Carole
Good morning Carole,

removing the tape would definitely help with ventilation... but best I can tell, there are three major considerations:

1. Heat- I keep a thermometer/hygrometer in the shed. So far, the highest temp I've seen is about 140 on a clear, bright day. For this, it seems that opening the vents would definitely be helpful to let some of the latent heat escape. But as is, doing that will also open the shed up to higher humidity.

2. Humidity (Georgia, need I say more? LOL)- This is the main hurdle. With the vents open, the inside of the shed is subject to ambient humidity. As an example, right now ambient humidity outside is 100%. With the vents taped closed, humidity inside the shed is currently reading about 76%. My cameras are rated at up to 90% humidity, and some nights they see more under the stars. However, during storage, I'd like to try to keep the humidity below 80%.

3. Critters- Before framing, I meticulously siliconed every single place that either moisture or critters can get in. The screen that came with the shed to cover the vents is flimsy, and would not do a very good job of keeping small or large bugs out. Of course, bugs find their way everywhere so it's not a battle that can be completely won... but at least with the vents closed off, hornets and larger bugs can not get in and build nests. I do however welcome small spiders or a couple daddy longlegs, as long as it doesn't turn into a party :lol:

At a later time, I'll install a radiant barrier on the roof panels and form it into an 'attic' or sorts, with better quality screens to let the heat escape. Also plan to put in a small AC/dehumidifier. When we built the platform, I stained/sealed both sides of the OSB to provide a moisture barrier. Hopefully that will help too.

Even after the obsy is functional, I look forward to tackling these problems and gleaning/sharing solutions.

Clear Skies!

Mike
Mike Chartrand
carastro Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by carastro »

Ah yes, different part of the world, different problems. Well I live in the UK so we get a lot of rain, I keep a dehumidifier in the Observatory and mainly use it in the winter months otherwise damp and cold does nasty things. But I can normally switch it off during the summer months.

There is a gap between my dome and walls (it's a sky pod). I normally stuff pipe lagging in the gap when the dehumidifier is on. But the rest of the time I do get quite a lot of spiders in there, which is not good as I am an arachnophobic. But I try ignore them if I can't actually see them. However a few days ago i had to evacuate a rather large house spider, which gave me a heebie jeebies to look at it. Luckily some years ago I was told about a spider picker upper gadget which is brilliant as I can't go screaming in the middle of the night with neighbours in close proximity, or running for hubby who is asleep in bed.

Saved my bacon on a number of occasions. I can pick up the spider with the gadget and put it outside without hurting it.
Attachments
Spider picker up open.jpg
Spider picker up handle .jpg
Mount: HEQ5 + Polemaster
Guiding: SW Finderguider and QHY5
Scopes: Skywatcher ED80, Skywatcher ED120, William Optics ZS71, Samyang 135MM F2 lens,
Cameras: Atik460EX, Atik428EX, Canon 1100D
Filters: Baader

https://sites.google.com/view/astrophot ... -pope/home
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Some people allege that the cost of framing a plastic shed plus the shed itself is about equal to a stick build with plywood sheathing, etc. Aside from the convenience of having a premade and ready (to cut) roof, wonder how accurate you think that is.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chartram »

pakarinen wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:27 pm Some people allege that the cost of framing a plastic shed plus the shed itself is about equal to a stick build with plywood sheathing, etc. Aside from the convenience of having a premade and ready (to cut) roof, wonder how accurate you think that is.
I wouldn't say it is impossible, but would like to see the numbers.
Mike Chartrand
sdbodin United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by sdbodin »

chartram wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:05 pm
pakarinen wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:27 pm Some people allege that the cost of framing a plastic shed plus the shed itself is about equal to a stick build with plywood sheathing, etc. Aside from the convenience of having a premade and ready (to cut) roof, wonder how accurate you think that is.
I wouldn't say it is impossible, but would like to see the numbers.
Gauntlet accepted... While cleaning up a shelve, I came across my 10x12 SkyShed plans with parts list. On a whim, I priced it out at today's dollars and for the materials... $2532( plus or minus). Plus and concrete work for 3 yards poured and finished, my guy worked at $5 a foot, so say $750 labor , add $300 for cement. At about $3500 more or less with no labor for actually building the darn thing.

But I built it in 2007, much cheaper then, I think 2x4s were a buck fifty.
Steve
Scopes; Meade 16 LX200, AT80LE, plus bunch just sitting around gathering dust
Cameras; Atik 460ex mono, Zwo ASI1600MC-cool, QHY5L-II color and mono
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chartram »

Minor update: Installed gate pins on the back wall to keep the roof from rolling fore/aft.

Also got four heavy duty 6" hasps and spring clips (carabiners) to keep the roof from blowing off in the wind. Will install those after the roof cut, when the weight is fully settled on the tracks.

Spent $95 on the pins and hasps, but returned some things I didn't end up using and got $96 back... So for argument's sake, let's say that the total cost is still $1,760 so far :lol:

Plan to cut the roof and build the gantry this weekend. Super excited and terrified at the same time!

Mike
Mike Chartrand
MistrBadgr United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by MistrBadgr »

Don't know if you would want to do this, but: Solid black surfaces will absorb at least 95% of the light that hits them. Solid white will reflect about 95% of the light that hits it. The sides of your building will still absorb maybe 50% of the light that hits it. A grey that the human eye thinks is half way between white and black actually reflects only 27%, as per Eastman Kodak. Painting the whole outside white would, I think, drastically decrease the sunlight warming your observatory. How that equates to an actual temperature inside?....Don't know.
Bill Steen
Many small scopes, plus a Lightbridge 12, LX 70-8R,6R,6M
Many eyepieces, just not really expensive ones.
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chartram »

MistrBadgr wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:37 pm Don't know if you would want to do this, but: Solid black surfaces will absorb at least 95% of the light that hits them. Solid white will reflect about 95% of the light that hits it. The sides of your building will still absorb maybe 50% of the light that hits it. A grey that the human eye thinks is half way between white and black actually reflects only 27%, as per Eastman Kodak. Painting the whole outside white would, I think, drastically decrease the sunlight warming your observatory. How that equates to an actual temperature inside?....Don't know.
Good day Bill,

I thought about trying to paint it with some good UV-reflective paint, but the OEM (Suncast) says that it can not be painted, or that paint will not hold up well on resin. Don’t want to take the chance of ruining the exterior appearance.

At some point, I will install radiant barrier (and wall/ceiling panels) to help with the temps. Also plan to put in an AC/dehumidifier. The goal is to keep summer temps in the 90’s/low 100’s and the humidity below 70-80%.
Mike Chartrand
MistrBadgr United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by MistrBadgr »

That is a bummer. I agree that it is not worth the risk of messing up that nice looking building with a bunch of pealing paint. Even a white sheet of some sort, thrown over the dark roof and tied down might be worth a test to see what difference it makes.

Anyway, you have a nice project there and I hope it all works out for you. :)
Bill Steen
Many small scopes, plus a Lightbridge 12, LX 70-8R,6R,6M
Many eyepieces, just not really expensive ones.
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chartram »

It rolls!

Well sort of- will get into that momentarily. Made the cut over the weekend, just have a few small things left to do before it is ready for a scope.

After the cut, I slid the roof forward a bit to make the cutouts for the gantry installation:

This is my hired help, Mr. Ladder. Not the smartest, but did a good job of holding stuff up and did not complain once :lol:

Here is the first "roll' out onto the gantry. Notice the cut is very jagged, so it hangs up in quite a few places.

Added 6" hasps, 2 per side to keep the roof on during heavy wind, and made reinforcements for the door areas.

*BIGGEST LESSON LEARNED*

Everything went pretty simple, except for one thing- The reason the cut was so jagged and it didn't roll smoothly is that I had already installed the tracks prior to making the cut. The tracks created a cutting nightmare trying to maneuver the sawzall flush with the tops of the bottom frames. Had I waited to install the tracks and just set the wheels on the framing, the cut would've been nice and even, plus the tracks would've given a nice, even 1/4"-1/2" gap all the way around for a nice, smooth roll. This is nothing the angle grinder won't solve, but grinding resin makes for a lot of messy resin dust, and it gets everywhere! The unevenness of the cut lines isn't that big of a deal, it will be hidden once the garage door seals go on around the cut line. But if you do this project, WAIT to put your tracks in at all costs, I promise it will go smoother lol!!!

Here it is now, after some grinding and with the doors back on:

It *ALMOST* rolls smoothly now, just a little bit more grinding to do- Again, garage door seals will hide the ugly nicely.

All I have left to do is a little more grinding, install the garage door seals, and go around the gantry area with some caulk/sealant and it will be ready for its first tenant.

Another thing I noticed is that with the roof cut, the internal temp has dropped by 10-15F, which is nice. I did get a solar powered fan to mount in one of the gable vents, so we will see how that goes.

Although I failed planning the cut, I did not fail at planning for moving/selling. There is not a single nail used in this build. Everything was done with screws and brackets. This will make detaching the gantry easy when it comes time to relocate. And being on a wooden platform, it can be lifted right onto a flatbed.

One last trip to the hardware store for two 4x4's, garage door stripping and some sealant: $60
Solar powered fan for the gable vent: $25 on Amazon

With a total price of $1,845.00, I'd say this qualifies as a low-budget build.

I will post a video at some point. If anyone has any questions, or is interested in doing something like this, please let me know- I am happy to share anything that may help!

Mike
Mike Chartrand
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Nicely done! Congrats on completing the project.
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chartram »

pakarinen wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:22 pm Nicely done! Congrats on completing the project.
Thank you. Will post pics/video when it is fully completed and rolls smoothly.
Mike Chartrand
Piero Great Britain
Earth Ambassador

Post by Piero »

What an amazing project! Congratulations!
16" f/4 home made reflector with Lightholder optics, 12" f/6 redesigned reflector with Nichol optics, Takahashi FC-100FT f/7.4, Tele Vue-60 f/6
22mm TV Nagler T4, 12.5mm Docter, 9-7-4.77mm APM XWA
24mm TV Panoptic, 9 mm TV Nagler T6, 21-9mm Nikon MC1 zoom, modded VIP Barlow
30mm APM UFF, 25.1-6.7mm Zeiss DiaScope Vario zoom
AOKswiss AYO II on Berlebach UNI 19, Hawke Frontier ED X 8x32
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chartram »

After some grinding, the roof now rolls with only one hand needed, so I am going to call it 'good enough for government work' :lol:

Over the weekend, I added weather stripping all around the cut line. The weather stripping fits nice and close to the outer skin, but still allows a smooth roll open/closed. As a bonus, it hides the wobbles in the cut lol... It rained last night, and I ran the sprinklers this morning, not a drop got in.

Also added the last 2 hasps (one per side right in the center) to secure the roof when it's out on the gantry:

Went around and applied the silicone sealant to the top of the weather stripping and where the gantry connects to the shed, and mounted the little solar-powered fan into the gable area...

Although the fan does not move 'that much' air... temps inside the shed are notably lower, have not seen anything past 120F in direct sunlight, which is good news. For example: Right now the outside air temp is 87F, temp inside the shed is 107F.

Even with a couple of small things left to do, I am perfectly confident that I could put a scope out there now and not have to worry. So in this respect, it's ready go!

For humidity control , I am first going to try the low-tech solution of Damp Rid or some other type of desiccant crystals. If it doesn't work or becomes non-economical, I will explore other options.

Other than that, I plan to add brush seals to a few places, and add radiant barrier to at least the southeast/southwest walls and roof.

Will post a video soon, along with some pics of it with a tenant.
Mike Chartrand
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

This thread is just chock-full of great ideas. Thank you Mike.

Cheers
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Very nice Mike!!!!
I have a similar shed and have thought about doing this.

That's awesome!
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D