Pier for my LXD75 - Finally

Discuss your home observatory!
Gulf Coast Guy
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

Pier for my LXD75 - Finally

Post by Gulf Coast Guy »

I'm finalizing plans for a permanant pier for my LXD75 mount. I'm almost done with a crude render of the pier and the surrounding deck. back in the early 2000's I was luky enough to have access to some machineing resources and was able to get the top plate made and assembled. It's out of 3/8" steel with Electroless nickle plate.

https://www.sharrettsplating.com/coatin ... el-plating

Here's a link to a photo of the finished product.the mounting holes are for 5/8 bolts/threaded rod..
https://xa.yimg.com/df/LXD75telescopes/ ... e=download
The plan is to use 6" pvc pipe as a concrete form. It will be on another steel base with mounting holes for 1/2" bolts/ rod. The base is azimuth adjustable +- 15 °and has threaded holes for jacking bolts (1/2-13) for leveling/truing. The plan is to place the pier on ~1 yard of concrete surrounded by a 8'x10' wood deck. this will happen when I retire and move to our new home in the fall of 2020.
OTA's: 203mm f10 Meade SCT (LXD75); Antares 80mm Refractor w/William Optics APOGrade f6.9 objective; Orion Starseeker 80 f11.2 Refractor
Mount/tripod's: Meade LXD-75 EQ; Orion Starseeker IV ALT/AZ; Celestron Heavy Duty ALT/AZ Farpoint UBM (Universal Binocular Mount)
Eyepieces:Meade - 26mm plossl, 12mm Astrometric; GSO (OPT badge) 2" Superview 50mm & 30mm 1.25" 15mm; TMB Planetary Series 9mm, 6mm, & 4mm: 10mm & 23mm 60° that came with the 80mm f11.2
Barlows: Orion 2x Shorty; Meade 4000 Series 3x
Binoculars:Brunton 10x50 Celestron Skymaster 15x70 Oberwerk 25x100 IF delux