Discuss your home observatory!
rpineau United States of America
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

DIY Dome controller

Post by rpineau »

I just wanted to post this in case someone want to use it (or part of it ) :

https://rti-zone.org/astro_dome_control.php

Some function are still a work in progress (like the support for dropout shutter).
Rodolphe
Paramount MX+ / CFF250 F8 RC / Stellarvue SVQ100 / Stellarvue SV80ST
FLI ML-16200 / FLI CFW2-7 / Astrodon Gen II LRGB filters & Ha 5nm filter / Chroma LoGlow & RGB filters
ZWO ASI 174MC-Cool , ASI 294MC PRO, ASI 290MM & ASI120MM Mini / Pegasus Astro Falcon rotator / TheSkyX Pro (macOS, Linux)
http://www.rti-zone.org/astro.php
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Re: DIY Dome controller

Post by Graeme1858 »

Hello @rpineau

That's a great article Rodolphe.

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
JeffBevan United States of America
Earth Ambassador

Post by JeffBevan »

Hi, I have built my own dome and powered it with a NEMA 23 Stepper and a 15:1 reduction drive. I currently am able to move the dome in both a slew speed and a sideral speed running off a remtoe thru an Arduino 2560. I wrote the code for this which was quite a learning experience and alot of trial and error. From what I gather from this and your site i should be able to slave my dome to my mount. i am a very unskilled coder so thisw may well be above my pay grade but nonetheless this is what is on my horizon. Any thoughts?
Home built dome, 12" Meade LX 200 OTA, cem 60 ec, sbig stf 8300c, Starshoot AutoGuider Pro, Orion Off-axis
patience!
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

hello. and thank you very much for the info !, i have the machining/mechanical know how but not so much on electronics and programming , i'm sure this will be a good project for many, as we all need to protect our scopes from the environment :)
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

@JeffBevan,

The math to compute the dome azimuth from the mount's HA and Dec position requires some 3D vector math. The calculation is not difficult with vectors, but it does require some good visualization skills and a couple of sheets of pencil sketches.

Most session control software (SGP, NINA, etc) will do the calculation for you. What you need to do to make it work is write an ASCOM driver for your hardware. The ASCOM driver's job is to accept an azimuth from the session control program and get the shutter opening to that azimuth. Plus some housekeeping chores of course.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
rpineau United States of America
Earth Ambassador

Post by rpineau »

As Kathy and other have said, it's better to let the session control application do the math for you than trying to get the dome controller to do it. In all case you would need to be able to send the Ra/Dec for the mount to the dome controller and implement all the matrix convolution in your Arduino code (not sure you'll have enough memory in the Mega 2560). So you'd be better of only dealing with what azimuth to go to.
Usually dome controller only deal with going to an azimuth as instructed (they only need to know how many steps are required for a full rotation and the home position to be able to position the slit at the requested azimuth, this math is a lot simpler :) ), and doing shutter control and safety monitoring to close all things in case of weather events (rain, very high win speed, ....).
In my controller I used an Arduino DUE because I wanted to put the AccelStepper library in a proper timer interrupt (the older code base from when it wa used by NexDome, to which I contributed quite a bit, was too slow on the Arduino Leonardo). The DUE has the computing speed to allow this (ARM Cortex M3 at 84MHz, lots of RAM and flash). This way I can do proper acceleration/deceleration in the interrupt without much impact on the main loop dealing with communication, command parsing, ...
Once I had this working, I added more and more feature (automatic calibration, automatic reconnection to shutter controller via the XBee, Ethernet support, ....).
The whole project is open source and I use it myself in my dome... feel free to re-use, modify, tweak, remove, .. anything from it.

Rodolphe
Paramount MX+ / CFF250 F8 RC / Stellarvue SVQ100 / Stellarvue SV80ST
FLI ML-16200 / FLI CFW2-7 / Astrodon Gen II LRGB filters & Ha 5nm filter / Chroma LoGlow & RGB filters
ZWO ASI 174MC-Cool , ASI 294MC PRO, ASI 290MM & ASI120MM Mini / Pegasus Astro Falcon rotator / TheSkyX Pro (macOS, Linux)
http://www.rti-zone.org/astro.php