New astronomy tent from Explore Scientific

Discuss your home observatory!
AntennaGuy United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

New astronomy tent from Explore Scientific

Post by AntennaGuy »

There's a new astronomy tent offered by Explore Scientific.
See https://explorescientific.com/products/ ... atory-tent
Their video about setting it up and folding it back down is pretty entertaining:
Your thoughts?
* Meade 323 refractor on a manual equatorial mount.
* Celestron C6 SCT on a Twilight 1 Alt-Az mount
Prof. Barnhardt to Klaatu in The Day the Earth Stood Still: "There are several thousand questions I'd like to ask you.”
chris_g United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: New astronomy tent from Explore Scientific

Post by chris_g »

AntennaGuy wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:24 am There's a new astronomy tent offered by Explore Scientific.

Your thoughts?
Definitely interesting, something worth considering. Would have like to have seen the roof on it.
Image Cam: Canon 6D (Ha mod), 600D (Stock), SVBony SV405CC
Image OTA: EvoStar ED80, WO Z73, C8-A XLT
Mount: EQ6-R Pro Pier, AZ-EQ5 Pro Pier
Guide OTA: Orion 60mm, WO 32mm, ZWO OAG, SV501P
Guide Cam: ZWO 120mm, 290mm mini
EAA OTA: Orion ST80
EAA Cam: SVBony SV705C
EP: Baader Hyperion Modular Set
Filters: L-Pro Canon EOS C, L-eNhance, L-Pro, Optolong Ha 7mm, Optolong Oiii 6.5mm, Optolong Sii 6.5mm, ES H-Beta
Session Control: Mini PC/Win11 Pro, APT 4.1, PHD2 2.6.10
Processing: PixInsight, DSS 4.2.6, Adobe PS CC, Astronomy Tools Action Set, Star Spikes Pro
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

II downloaded the manual, there is no actual roof for either section of the tent, only the tent fly.
A bit of a strange set up and I have a feeling that with it being a popup tent it will not be very sturdy.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
Chich Canada
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Chich »

chris_g wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:50 am
AntennaGuy wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:24 am There's a new astronomy tent offered by Explore Scientific.

Your thoughts?
Definitely interesting, something worth considering. Would have like to have seen the roof on it.
From the web site
ES-2ROBV_Tent_5_2020_1800x1800.png
Keep calm and set SCE To AUX

Wildland fire: a strong tradition since 440,000,000 BCE
NEW for 345,000,000 BCE - Crown fires!
seigell United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by seigell »

I've use the "grandfather" of this - a 5'-cube Pop-up Hunting Blind - for Observing in Central Florida for years. Available from most large Sports / Hunting Stores: https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/amerist ... ound-blind

Our prime concern is the "Heavy Bombardment" of Mosquitos that we get shortly after Sundown. Then the Heavy Dew that occurs as the Temps Fall. Without a Roof, all of your Gear and Computers are quickly Drenched. So, the Table and PC and boxes of gear go inside, with reasonable room left for yourself and a full-size folding party chair. Being a Hunting Blind, the 3x non-door walls have zippered fold-down pass-through Windows (with Zippered/Velcro'd Bug Screening - dark/camouflaged to hide the Hunters - which also does well to darken the glow of Laptop or Red Flashlight). This is PERFECT for passing through Cables and Hand Controllers (and even to see the Laptop Screen while manually Focusing and/or Aligning the Scope). And, being on all 3x sides, I've frequently setup 2x Imaging Rigs on opposite sides, each cabled into the enclosed / roofed "Operator's Room".
As with the "Observing Walls" in the video, the Blind is Floorless (I bring a 6'x6' poly tarp - I've also seen 6'x6' and 10'x10' Camper Patio Rugs). Floorless is "Good" because I also bring along a 2nd Pop-up-Blind which I can quickly "Pop-OVER" the Imaging Rig / Scope / Tripod if surprised by a quick shower or ground-fog.

While it is Good that Explore Scientific (or any other Astronomy Gear Company) is showing interest in Observing Tents, I think that this specific one is likely to FLOP.
  • Without Roof over at least the Observer Area there is too little Structure to face even the most modest Breeze
  • The Tent Fly ("Roof Tarp") is both Too Little and Too Late to be used as a Roof - it can't readily be setup over just half of the combined structure
  • The Tent Fly Stay Ropes are going to be Trip Hazards in the Dark - I can't believe that any Astronomy Gear Company doesn't include a dozen little Dim Red LED "Blinkies" by default with each Tent
  • also: critique of the video:
    • Far too much time and effort on the "gimmick" of "One-Handed assembly"
    • Emphasis on the "Observer's Room" but no Props to actually show any Utility of that room - eg: bringing in a quick Chair and Table - like the Mount brought in for the other room
ES AR152 / ES 80ED Apo / Orion 8in F/3.9 / C9.25-SCT / C6-SCT / C10-NGT / AT6RC / ST-80 / AstroView 90 / Meade 6000 APO 115mm
CGEM (w HyperTune and ADM bling) / 2x CG5-AGT / Forest of Tripod legs / Star Adventurer / Orion EQ-G
550D (Modded-G.Honis) / 60D / 400D / NexImage / NexGuide / Mini 50 SSAG / ST-8300C / ASI120MM-S / ASI1600MM-Cool
Dark Skies in SW CO when I can get there, and badly light polluted backyard when I can't... (Currently Self-Exiled to Muggy Central Florida...)
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

thanks for the tip .
seem to be nice .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , berno mack 3 with telepod , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

The 5x5 section would fit nicely on my deck.

I've done a lot of research on pop-up changing tents, camping tents, hunting blinds, ice fishing shelters, and so on. A consistent theme is they can be a royal PITA to fold back up. That may or may not be a problem. And from what I can see in the video, I might question the durability.

For under $50, you can buy a Walmart tent with slide-in poles and cut out a section of roof. OTOH, I think the ES is worth a second look, depending how much you want to spend. I'd also like to see them list the usual camping tent specs (as applicable). Thanks for the tip!
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102, Scopetech Zero, SW AZ5, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C; Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

pakarinen wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:08 pm The 5x5 section would fit nicely on my deck.

I've done a lot of research on pop-up changing tents, camping tents, hunting blinds, ice fishing shelters, and so on. A consistent theme is they can be a royal PITA to fold back up. That may or may not be a problem. And from what I can see in the video, I might question the durability.

For under $50, you can buy a Walmart tent with slide-in poles and cut out a section of roof. OTOH, I think the ES is worth a second look, depending how much you want to spend. I'd also like to see them list the usual camping tent specs (as applicable). Thanks for the tip!
do you have a link for the tent ? at walmart .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , berno mack 3 with telepod , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

There are a few, Amazon also. IIRC, people tended toward 4-person tents; I lost the link where a guy went into detail on buying, cutting, adding zippers. I think his main concern was the interior height:
astro tent.jpg
I was also looking at this one:

https://www.omegon.eu/instruments/omego ... r_1_select
http://store.smartastronomy.com/poobte.html
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102, Scopetech Zero, SW AZ5, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C; Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
seigell United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by seigell »

pakarinen wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:08 pm I've done a lot of research on pop-up changing tents, camping tents, hunting blinds, ice fishing shelters, and so on. A consistent theme is they can be a royal PITA to fold back up. That may or may not be a problem. And from what I can see in the video, I might question the durability.
Folding Up is literally a One-Handed Operation (well maybe a little help from the 2nd Hand makes it easier). It's a simple twist of the wrist and a tug (assuming you can remember which way to position your wrist when you grip and twist). The Hoops of Spring Steel do the "Folding" (Coil in on themselves). The Walls are Rip-Stop Nylon and medium-grade YKK-clone Zippers (Mettle Shuttle / Plastic Teeth) and Field-grade Velcro. The one that I have does have a pair of Fiberglass Poles that Insert across the Roof Diagonals to provide additional Rigidity, and Peg-down Loops at the bottom corners. Staked down, mine has withstood 30-35mph Gusts and quick Torrential Downpours.
ES AR152 / ES 80ED Apo / Orion 8in F/3.9 / C9.25-SCT / C6-SCT / C10-NGT / AT6RC / ST-80 / AstroView 90 / Meade 6000 APO 115mm
CGEM (w HyperTune and ADM bling) / 2x CG5-AGT / Forest of Tripod legs / Star Adventurer / Orion EQ-G
550D (Modded-G.Honis) / 60D / 400D / NexImage / NexGuide / Mini 50 SSAG / ST-8300C / ASI120MM-S / ASI1600MM-Cool
Dark Skies in SW CO when I can get there, and badly light polluted backyard when I can't... (Currently Self-Exiled to Muggy Central Florida...)
Star Dad United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Star Dad »

mmmm @pakarinen I wonder what the difference is between these two tents you linked to. That Omegon one sure looks tempting to me for when I go out to Cherry Springs State Park. But the Meade Clear View also looks good. I wonder if either of them has a floor. Also how does one park the scope so you can put the cover on? I suppose one would have to rotate the scope so it was horizontal rather than pointing up at due north. Also there seems to be a significant price differential $179 vs $359.
But these are both very interesting - I had not thought of a tent like structure. Great Idea!
"To be good is not enough when you dream of being great"

Orion 203mm/f4.9/1000mm, converted TASCO 114mm/f9/1000mm to steam punk, Meade 114mm/f9/1000, Coronado PST, Orion EQ-G, Ioptron Mini-Tower and iEQ30, Canon 70D, ASI120MM,ASI294MC, Ioptron SkyHunter
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Kendrick Astro from Canada used to sell a very nice astro tent but they discontinued it due to having a hard time putting minimum orders together to keep the price down.
https://www.kendrickastro.com/observatory.html
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

If I learned anything it is that you need two hands to set it up especially if you want to sell it!

The demo gives the worst possible impression of stability. While the website shows tiedowns for lateral stability, after this demo I would really like to see someone put it up in a breeze outside, using the tiedowns, and show that it does not blow over.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

ES should concentrate on eyepieces with better eye relief.
George Key
Earth Ambassador

Post by George Key »

Oh, interesting tents, but the pop up beach tent somehow got into my field of vision and now I'm happy to live with this tent, especially if I need to go out for the weekend. It has a huge plus, which many ordinary tents do not have, it is the material that they use. I do not know how they did it, but it does not really bask in the sun, which is a big plus if you are out for the weekend, and not just you need to spend the night somewhere. A good plus is that it is quite light and if you need to go into the forest, it does not add much weight and is quite easy to fold out. My wife and I get out on the first day of the weekend in the evening and while I break up our small camp, build a fire, my wife easily copes with arranging a bed for us for the night!
Last edited by George Key on Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Do you have a link to the tent you have?