Dome Observatory Construction

Discuss your home observatory!
Aratus Great Britain
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Dome Observatory Construction

Post by Aratus »

This was done nearly 5 years ago, but Ithought it might be of some use to anyone contemplating building this kind of observatory. I must give credit to a group of cyber friends( on a now defunct forum), who gave a lot of advice. I still keep in touch with may of them.

This is a Pulsar 2.2m full height observatory based in the UK.
The first thing that is required is a base. A concrete base is best, but I envisage having to move this at some point in the future. So I opted to go for a wooden floor, but with a concrete base for a metal pier. I raised the whole thing off the ground which gives a step up into the observatory, which helps with access through a small door. (Described by one of my cyber-friends as a 'Hobbit Door'!.

First - the foundations. 6 posts are concreted into the ground, and 4 sides are bolted to it. Only 2 posts are seen here. The other 2 will go half way across the front and back edges.

As usual, Chocky the Cat supervises the job!
Aratus Great Britain
Mars Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Dome Observatory Construction

Post by Aratus »

Next, 4 cross pieces are put across. The distances between them are carefully worked out to prevent the floor flexing, and to allow sufficient room for the central concrete block. The cross-pieces don't go down to the ground. To minimise vibration, the only points of contact with the ground are the 6 posts.

Aratus Great Britain
Mars Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Aratus »

A liner is put down to prevent anything growing under there, and disuade anything burrowing up. On reflection it probably wasn't necessary, but it kept things clean. A hole was dug down into the ground and filled with concrete. The entire concrete block is 4 feet deep. This is worked ok, but again on reflection I think another foot would have been better. Temporary wooden shuttering is put above ground to bring the concrete block up to floor level.

I should have mentioned before that the base is 2.4m x 2.174m. The reason for the strange dimesion is so that I can use an exact number of planks!
The shuttering is removed after the concrete is set.

Aratus Great Britain
Mars Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Aratus »

An access hatch is cut into the base, mostly to allow mains electricity to be connected.

Then it is a matter of constructing the fibreglass observatory which arrives in sections.

Four holes are drilled into the concrete, and long screw bars are placed into each hole along with a kind of special epoxy glue. This will enable the metal pier to be bolted to the concrete block.

Aratus Great Britain
Mars Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Aratus »

Construction of the observatory is completed. This includes an equipment bay, which is what the 'bath-tub like' object is. A rubber flooring is put down. The electric sockets are fitted, and 12v lines, and various control wires are laid between the equipment bay and the central pier through the access hatch.

The telescope is then brought in and connected up. A 12v suppy is installed, and a new home found for all the accessories.

The original telescope was an 8 inch SCT. This has now been replaced by an 11 inch.

There are lots of other things that have happened since the observatory was constructed, but that is the essentials.
Aratus Great Britain
Mars Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Aratus »

Some landscaping helps to blend it in with the rest of the back garden.

JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Truly impressive. A wonder to behold.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

What a great set-up. Now I need to go out and search the backyard for the perfect location :) Thank you for sharing!

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

Aratus Great Britain
Mars Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Aratus »

That's the problem with an observatory - 'Location'. In the old days I could put the telescope wherever it got the best view of the object that I wanted to observe. With an observatory you have to compromise a bit. It is not good for east or west, but it has a good south west horizon. It is as far away from the house as possible,and gives a view of the north polar region above the house roof. I hasten to add that I have never built anything like this before. I just took the best advice I could from knowledgeable friends, and bought the right tools.

I'll add some other posts later outlining some of the problems I had, and also some of the things I've learned.

One thing I should have added is the URL of Pulsar Observatories. https://www.pulsarastro.com/

In the best tradition of reviews, I must add that "Other makes of observatory are available' ! :D
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Hello Aratus, good to see you again, hope you're well.

Great setup, great thread!

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
Aratus Great Britain
Mars Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Aratus »

Hello Graeme. My health hasn't been great recently, but nothing that cannot be put right!

I first thought about building an observatory when I developed bursitis. It made it impossible to carry out the telescope anymore. It was either permanently set the telescope up outside, or give up the hobby. It is an expensive thing to do, but worth it.
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Aratus wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:03 pm Hello Graeme. My health hasn't been great recently, but nothing that cannot be put right!

I first thought about building an observatory when I developed bursitis. It made it impossible to carry out the telescope anymore. It was either permanently set the telescope up outside, or give up the hobby. It is an expensive thing to do, but worth it.
Hope you're feeling better soon. I look forward to seeing some of your images again!

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
Aratus Great Britain
Mars Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Aratus »

I thought I would add my experiences bring power to the observatory. Most things in the observatory can run off 12v or 5v DC, but having a mains supply can be quite useful. I figured that there are 4 different ways of supplying power to an observatory.
The first is a professionally installed wired-in extension from the house power system.
The advantages are obvious, but you need to get a qualified electrician to do it. Certainly the law in UK makes that clear.
The power is permanent, and requires no preparation for use.

The second is a 'roll out' extension from a house or garage power socket.
This is just the same as using power in the yard for a mower etc. No electrician is needed, but the cable needs bringing out and winding in again afterwards.
The observatory can only be powered when you are using it. The extension shouldn't be left out. Like any outside use of mains electricity, a RCD / GFCI unit is essential

The third is a 'temporary' installation which consists of a single piece of cable running from an indoor mains socket, but is laid through the yard in a protective conduit of some sorts, terminating with a socket inside the observatory. In the UK at least, this is deemed as 'temporary' because it is not wired in. It can be done by a 'competent' person. Care needs to be taken to make sure the cable is top quality, and in one piece. There should be no junctions outside. The cable needs checking periodically to make sure the insulation is not cracked, gnawed or damaged in any way. The entire cable should be replaced if any of it is damaged. Armoured cable should be considered, and of course an RCD / GFCI unit at the plug. The conduit should be above ground, and out of the way, perhaps running along a fence or trellis. The extension should be unplugged when not being used.

The fourth idea is simply using 12v batteries inside the observatory. These can be recharged as required, or a solar panel/wind turbine fitted.

I started off with the 'temporary' installation, and added a solar panel system later.

As always, if in any doubt, ask a qualified electrician. Take no risks.
10538 United States of America
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by 10538 »

Nicely done! That’s a beautiful setup!
Ed :Astronomer1:
Scopes: Orion 14 inch f/4.6 Dobsonian w/MoonLite focuser. Meade LX200 Classic 10”w/AudioStar and MoonLite focuser, Criterion RV6, Orion ST80A w/2” GSO micro focuser.
Eyepieces: ES 5.5mm 100*, 6.7mm 82*, 11mm 82*, 14mm 100*, 18mm 82*, 20mm 100*, Meade 9mm XWA 100*, 24mm UWA 82*, 56mm 50*, TV Delos 6,8 & 10mm, Panoptic 24, 27 & 35mm, 17mm Nagler, Powermate 2X, Baader 6mm Ortho, Paracorr II.
MISC: William Optics Binoviewer, Revolution 2 Imager, Orion Skyview Pro Mount, Skymaster 15x70, 20x70, 25x100 Binos, HoTech Collimator, Kendrick Dew System,Catsperch Chair.
Messier 110 Complete/ Messier 110 Sketches Complete / Herschel 400 Complete / H-2 and H-3 Complete
Bortle 3 Skies in Down Eastern NC
“Starlight, I hear you calling out to me so far away” Jeff Lynne ELO.
Aratus Great Britain
Mars Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Aratus »

Thanks Ed

I'm happy to share my experiences in this, because it is so easy to make silly mistakes, and since I won't be doing this again, I hope someone will benefit from it.

Part 2 of the electrical set up. !
It is amazing how many accessories are powered by 12v. For this reason I have 2 x 12v power supplies which are plugged into the observatory mains sockets. Specificaly I use these. https://www.firstlightoptics.com/batter ... upply.html They are useful because it shows you how much power is being drawn at any particular time.
One of them is used exclusivley for the telescope mount. That uses a lot of amps when slewing the telescope, and it is easy to underpower it if other things are using the same power supply at the same time. Underpower the mount and it will lose alignment.
I use 12v LED light strips. Dozens of white ones to illuminated the inside of the observatory, and a group of 3 red ones for the equipment bay. This helps preserve the night sight of the eye when observing. They are individually switched. I have dew heaters on the main telescope and guidescope/ wide angle scope, they are powered from the 12v supply. The 12v supply also powers the 'All Sky camera', and a small monitor in the equipment bay. There is also a Canon camera power supply from the 12v. It is very frustrating to have your camera battery go low in the middle of a session.

Increasingly I find accessories are powered by 5v USB connectors. A mains supplied USB hub is probably best for this, although a group of 5v USB sockets which are powered from 12v batteries are useful. They are the same kind that you find in your car. I have both of these, but the car ones are limited to 1 or 2 amps. There are higher rated 12v to 5v convertors, but they are a little expensive and I find they are hard to come by. This is 3A supply. https://www.firstlightoptics.com/zwo-ac ... 2v_5v.html