KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Brush seal recommendations

Post by KathyNS »

I am thinking about adding a brush seal to the bottom of my 8' Exploradome. I figure the logical place to attach it to is the bottom of the rotating metal ring, brushing against the upper surface of the lower ring.

Obviously, I need something that can be bent into an arc, so aluminum retainer strips are out. I see some options for flexible brush only, no retainer, but how do you attach them?

And the cost! With the products I have seen, it looks like it is going to cost me about US$500 before shipping to do the 25+ feet of circumference.

I am sure others have done this. How did you do it?
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
OhNo Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Brush seal recommendations

Post by OhNo »

What is the goal of the strip. I'd assume dust, breeze, snow....

With my new-to-me acquisition I have noticed an airflow issue between the top and bottom. While your structure is different than mine I too am considering remediation, 'cause I just know I'll have a snowbank in there if I do nothing!!!!!

I am considering a appropriate skirt mounted to the outside diameter of the dome, but not firm on a plan!

While not color matching the material I'd considered is Round hay baler belting. It is pricey, but no where near 500 USD, and readily available.

Subscribed now to see the responses.
Scopes: SkyWatcher 8" Quattro, Celestron C8, SkyWatcher ST120, Orion ST80, SharpStar 61EDPH II. SLT 130 Celestron
Mounts: CGEM, CG-4, EQ2, Alt Az, SLT
Cameras: ZWO ASI533MC Pro, ZWO ASI120MM, Canon 1100D
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

OhNo wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:28 pm What is the goal of the strip. I'd assume dust, breeze, snow....
Dust, breeze, snow, insects. Even mice and rain.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
OhNo Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OhNo »

I looked for images of your observatory on the net, but came up short on images that even came close to the area we're talking about. A pic of the interface area on your observatory would help.

Mice are crafty, and can cause a lot of damage. The Atlantic mice sound like they have a skill Saskatchewan mice don't have. The ability to scale a vertical plastic wall wall is one tough act to follow. A brush won't keep the little buggers out, more like nesting material for 'em. IF they can get their nose in, THEY can get in....

Geographic location plays a major roll in keeping the environment out of a building. Here wind driven rain and snow pose serious issues, especially for pricey electronics.
Scopes: SkyWatcher 8" Quattro, Celestron C8, SkyWatcher ST120, Orion ST80, SharpStar 61EDPH II. SLT 130 Celestron
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Rubber or vinyl baseboard strips like the ones used for office / commercial space? Relatively cheap and easy to find. Not sure how they’d hold up outdoors though.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

OhNo wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:48 pm I looked for images of your observatory on the net, but came up short on images that even came close to the area we're talking about. A pic of the interface area on your observatory would help.
It's a hard area to photograph. Here are a photo and a diagram. The photo is my dome. The diagram is stolen from someone else who did a similar mod to what I have in mind. The brush seal would be attached to the outside of the rotating ring, so that it brushes against the support ring.
P1120096.JPG
gallery_293187_9111_64086.jpg
pakarinen wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:17 am Rubber or vinyl baseboard strips like the ones used for office / commercial space? Relatively cheap and easy to find. Not sure how they’d hold up outdoors though.
That would be flexible radially, so it would be possible to install it. Unfortunately, it wouldn't flex at all tangentially, so it would add a lot of friction to dome rotation.
OhNo Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OhNo »

Sorry Kathy, can't figure out how to open your image.
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

OhNo wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:46 pm Sorry Kathy, can't figure out how to open your image.
I don't know what happened the first time. I have re-uploaded the images.
OhNo Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OhNo »

Hmmm. The if you can get to the retainer ring mounting bolts, loosening them off, stuffing the brush between the dome and the ring, then re-tightening the bolts might work. Another item that may work is the bottom sealing rubber for the bottom of an overhead door. Placed as I described above. Really difficult to invision the space you have to work from a pic!

I have had a lot of "catch on the re-work" issues thrown at me in life, a image is a great starting point, however, the task always seem to take a twist once you get eyes and hands on it in person. ROFL I've never been to Hall's Harbour. But it would be a trip......