KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Milestone: first automatic closure

Post by KathyNS »

I have been running my dome in full automatic mode for about a year. When I built the controller, I included automatic rain detection and closure. I have tested the rain detection numerous times, but it has never, until now, operationally closed on an active photo session.

Last night's session aborted with a "guide star lost" error. Typically, this means clouds, but when I checked the dome logs, it was clear that the controller had closed the dome due to a heavy dew. The equipment was probably fairly safe from dew inside the dome, but it was prudent to close the dome anyway.

I expect that automatic closures for rain will be fairly rare. After all, it is most likely that the sky will cloud over before rain begins. So dew detections will be more common than actual rain.

I am happy today because I know that I can count on my safety system! :D
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
OhNo Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Milestone: first automatic closure

Post by OhNo »

Sounds like you've got it dialed in. Wish I had the aptitude to figure that sort of thing out!!!!
Scopes: SkyWatcher 8" Quattro, Celestron C8, SkyWatcher ST120, Orion ST80, SharpStar 61EDPH II. SLT 130 Celestron
Mounts: CGEM, CG-4, EQ2, Alt Az, SLT
Cameras: ZWO ASI533MC Pro, ZWO ASI120MM, Canon 1100D
Butterfly Maiden Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Milestone: first automatic closure

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

Kathy, I am truly amazed at the set-up you have for your sky watching.

To have a dome is... amazing. Then to have all the automation to keep you and your equipment safe from the elements, is fantastic.

I don't know you well enough to understand your expertise in astronomy, but you obviously have a great understanding of the subject, and must surely be an inspiration to upcoming astronomers (me included ;) )
Vanessa

Nikon D82 Fieldscope with 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece.
Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars.
Leica 8x32BN binoculars.