My Home Observatory Story

Discuss your home observatory!
umasscrew39 United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

My Home Observatory Story

Post by umasscrew39 »

My wife and I moved from the Bay Area just outside San Francisco to the suburbs of Orlando, FL to retire (well, sort of- doing consulting :-)). While the night sky in CA is much better than at our retirement home, and my wife new it although she has no interest in astronomy, we struck a deal. I exchanged better skies for a permanent observatory. I have no desire to travel to dark skies so I just built the best home observatory I could afford. Basically, I had a main section of the roof torn off of our 4 car garage and built the observatory on top with a split, slide off roof. It was rough going as I could not find a builder or architect to help for the longest time. Seems that nobody wanted to risk doing something they had never done before. I thought that was odd, thinking they would like the challenge. Anyway, I finally got that resolved and got the permits approved and we were off and running. There were lots of challenges and I made some mistakes I would change if starting over but overall, I cannot complain as I am fortune enough to be able to afford a nice setup for me. Basically, the cement pier starts 4 ft under ground and runs up to about 15 ft above street level, where an adjustable steel pier is placed that raises the scope another 5 ft or so to clear most trees and street lights. I placed an AP1100 mount on it and my C11" EdgeHD with an 80mm APO triplet piggy based onto it. Both scopes have autofocuses (one of the many challenges with a scope way up high). All power (USB powered hub and a Lynx Power Panel) and cables are managed at the scope level except for 2 cables: 1 main power cable that runs up to the AP mount CP4 control box and 1 USB cable from the powered Hub on top of the C11". So no issues with cable snags. There is also a split AC unit and dehumidifier to control the environment and some relaxing furniture along with a TV monitor to do live viewing when friends come over (but not now, of course).

It was an adventure getting it done and climbing up on a safety ladder to do some rare maintenance isn't fun but overall it worked out. Attached are a few pics.
IMG_1322.jpg
IMG_1268.jpg
IMG_1247.jpg
IMG_0230-2.jpg
IMG_0229.jpg
Bruce

Astronomy? Impossible to understand and madness to investigate........Sophocles, c. 420 BCE

StarzantiSkies Observatory
https://www.astrobin.com/users/umasscrew39/
oscaletrains

Re: My Home Observatory Story

Post by oscaletrains »

Awesome!
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

How did you engineer the slide-off roof? I'm always interested in the technical details of peoples' observatories even though my HOA allows basically nothing.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by umasscrew39 »

pakarinen wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:51 pm How did you engineer the slide-off roof? I'm always interested in the technical details of peoples' observatories even though my HOA allows basically nothing.
Well- I cheated on the roof. I had it custom made by Pier Tech. It arrived on a flat bed truck but in a hundred parts. We carried it up to the roof piece by piece to assemble it. It weights over 700 lbs and we also put hurricane straps on it by law in Florida since we do get hurricane season, which is right now. Interesting you mentioned HOA. This was part of the project. When we decided to move to the Orlando area, we specifically looked for a neighborhood that did not have a HOA- which is not easy here. Believe me- I use to be a HOA president many years ago where I was born and raised in Philadelphia. So I knew to avoid that headache. However, some HOAs may accept the slide off roof vs. a dome. Besides, slide off roofs have much less maintenance issues than domes.
Bruce

Astronomy? Impossible to understand and madness to investigate........Sophocles, c. 420 BCE

Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Quite the setup! Congrats!! I must say I'm a bit envious :smile:

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
StarBru United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by StarBru »

That is one sharp looking observatory! I especially like the streamlined look of the roof.
Bruce

Refractors: Meade AR-5 127mm f/9.3, Meade ST-80 f/5 and Meade 60mm f/12, Jason 60mm f/15 #313, Jason 60mm f/12 #306 S7, Bushnell Sky Chief III 60mm f/15.
Reflectors/Catadioptrics: Meade 10" F/4 Schmidt-Newtonian, Galileo 120mm f/8.3 Newtonian, Meade 2045D 4" f/10 SCT, Meade ETX-90EC f/13.8 & Sarblue 60mm f/12.5 Maksutov-Cassegrains.
Mounts: Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro & Meade LXD55 Equatorial mounts, ES Twilight II and Meade 2102 ALT/AZ mounts, a modified 10" SkyQuest Dobsonian mount, various 60mm EQ mounts.
Misc: Celestron 20x80mm binoculars, Revolution II Imager/accessories, & lots of optical accessories/eyepieces.
Projects: 8" f/2.9 and 65mm f/10 reflectors, Dobson-style binocular mirror mount.
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi Bruce. This is very nice work on your home observatory. Thanks for your excellent post, informational data, and the fine pictures too Bruce.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Great Home Observatory Bruce. And a fine looking rig. I just had a look at your Astrobin. That C11 has produced some excellent work.

Looks like retirement is going to be ok!

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
SirTalllPaul
Mars Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SirTalllPaul »

Very tasty, yuou wouldn't think there is an observatory there from the outside.
:telescopewink: :Astronomer1:

Telescope newbie.
Skywacther 8"
Up is down and down is up. I never have inverted controls on in games, damn you telescope.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/188431606@N04/
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Quite impressive Bruce, well done!
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
Kingofthehill
Mars Ambassador

Post by Kingofthehill »

Did you lose parking for one car? Or, is the garage large enough that you made the stairway without sacrificing car space?
I am considering such a plan, but I hesitate to lose parking.
Paul
Main telescope used is Obsession 18UC
Cut my teeth on Orion 10" Dob
AR152 and Orion ST80 sit mostly unused
Lots of binoculars
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Very impressive. Curious as to how long it takes for such a large space to dissipate the heat before you can start imaging? I'm sure having an opening the size of a garage door really helps it to cool to ambient fairly quickly.

A very nice setup,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

This is really amazing Bruce! Something that we all dream about.

It is really good to see an awesome project like this. Super job!

Thanks for sharing this!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Sky United States of America
Moon Ambassador

Post by Sky »

WOW ! ... I'm having a case of Deja vu. When I first looked at your beautiful observatory, I thought it was my garage-top ROR observatory.

I built mine almost 20 years and and it houses a 12" LX200 scope on top of a 13" chimney block pier. It's been a real imaging workhorse all those years. I'm a retired commercial/residential building contractor so I was able to draw up my own plans/designs. I live in a semi-rural area so working with the building department ... actually one part-time guy as the sole building inspector ... was a piece of cake!

Great job on your observatory ... I'm sure you'll get many years of imaging enjoyment with your setup ... Good Luck!
Home_Observatory.jpg
OrbiJet Observatory:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/27684115@ ... 177074161/
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by umasscrew39 »

nov 6.jpg
day  3.jpg
Kingofthehill wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:24 am Did you lose parking for one car? Or, is the garage large enough that you made the stairway without sacrificing car space?
I am considering such a plan, but I hesitate to lose parking.
No parking space lost at all. Just a chunk of the roof removed and a second floor added. The total usable space is around 240 sq. feet.
Bruce

Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by umasscrew39 »

Sky wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:57 am WOW ! ... I'm having a case of Deja vu. When I first looked at your beautiful observatory, I thought it was my garage-top ROR observatory.

I built mine almost 20 years and and it houses a 12" LX200 scope on top of a 13" chimney block pier. It's been a real imaging workhorse all those years. I'm a retired commercial/residential building contractor so I was able to draw up my own plans/designs. I live in a semi-rural area so working with the building department ... actually one part-time guy as the sole building inspector ... was a piece of cake!

Great job on your observatory ... I'm sure you'll get many years of imaging enjoyment with your setup ... Good Luck!

OrbiJet Observatory:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/27684115@ ... 177074161/
Your observatory is beautiful!!!!

I wish I had your skill and knowledge. My biggest mistake was not being able to have it wider to build a walking platform around it. That way, I would not need the safety ladder to adjust things. I had to use a portable scaffolding setup to put the C11" scope on. Fortunately, I am strong enough to have done that but a walking platform would make things so much easier. I can probably do that but only partially around.
Bruce

helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 584

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Great obsy Bruce. I am in the SF Bay Area and also starting to look for a second home under dark skies somewhere in the West. I have been toying with building some kind of obsy but the problem at home is the tree cover, meaning I have to move my scopes around the various decks and lawn that surrounds my house as the earth's rotation causes the stars and constellations to wheel in and out of view. Probably will wait until I purchase the second home.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by umasscrew39 »

helicon wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:06 pm Great obsy Bruce. I am in the SF Bay Area and also starting to look for a second home under dark skies somewhere in the West. I have been toying with building some kind of obsy but the problem at home is the tree cover, meaning I have to move my scopes around the various decks and lawn that surrounds my house as the earth's rotation causes the stars and constellations to wheel in and out of view. Probably will wait until I purchase the second home.
Thanks, Michael. That is where I lived for 8 years before moving to Florida. Too expensive for retirement. I also had issues with trees and having to use my scope on a deck which would vibrate upon any movement and messing up my images.
Bruce