New astronomy tent from Explore Scientific

Discuss your home observatory!
AntennaGuy
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

New astronomy tent from Explore Scientific

Post by AntennaGuy »

There's a new astronomy tent offered by Explore Scientific.
See https://explorescientific.com/products/ ... atory-tent
Their video about setting it up and folding it back down is pretty entertaining:
Your thoughts?
* Meade 323 refractor on a manual equatorial mount.
* Celestron C6 SCT on a Twilight 1 Alt-Az mount
* Losmandy GM8G mount.
* Vixen VMC260L on order.
chris_g
Earth Ambassador

Re: New astronomy tent from Explore Scientific

Post by chris_g »

AntennaGuy wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:24 am There's a new astronomy tent offered by Explore Scientific.

Your thoughts?
Definitely interesting, something worth considering. Would have like to have seen the roof on it.
Backyard Bortle scale 4, 31.12972, -92.06379
Mount, Sky Watcher EQ6-R Pro, Scope, Orion 80mm (3.15") ED APO, Guide Scope, Orion 60mm Multi-Use Guide Scope
Diagonals, Orion 45 Erect-Image Prism Diagonal - 1.25", Orion Mirror Diagonal, Refractor - 2"
1.25-Inch Plossl Eyepieces, 6.3 mm, 7.5 mm, 10 mm, 17 mm, 40 mm. , 2" Orion 0.85x Reducer-Flattenr
Barlow Lenses, 1.25" 2x, 1.25" 2x Shorty with T-Ring adapter
Planetary Filters - 1.25 "#12 Yellow, #23 Orange, #25 Red, #58 Green, #80A Blue, Moon Filter
Filter Wheel, ZWO Five Position Electronic Filter Wheel - 1.25"
Cameras
Canon T3i, 18-55mm F3.5 to 5.6, 28-135mm F/3.5 to 5.6, Nifty Fifty F/1.8
ZWO ASI120MM Mini
Samsung Note 20 Ultra, 7mm, F/1.8
Lady Fraktor
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

II downloaded the manual, there is no actual roof for either section of the tent, only the tent fly.
A bit of a strange set up and I have a feeling that with it being a popup tent it will not be very sturdy.
Proper Telescopes: Antares 105 f/15, Bresser 102 f/13.2, Celestron 150 f/8, Stellarvue NHNGDX 80 f/6.9, TAL 100RS f/10, TS 102 f/11, UR 70 f/10, Vixen SD115s f/7.7
Mounts: Berlebach Planet w/ 410mm pier, Celestron AS-GT, Celestron CG-5 w/ Argo Navis & tracking motor, SLT w/ 250mm pier & tripod mods, Manfrotto 028b w/ SV M2C, Mantrotto 055Pro w/ 128RC, Skywatcher EQ-5 w/ dual drives, TAL MT1C w/ wood tripod, Vixen SXP w/ HAL-130 & 200mm half pier
Diagonal: 2" A-P Maxbright, 2" Baader Herschel Wedge (P), 2" Zeiss/ Baader Amici Prism (DX2), 2" Long Perng Amici Prism, 2" Stellarvue DX, 2" TeleVue EverBrite
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
Chich
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Chich »

chris_g wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:50 am
AntennaGuy wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:24 am There's a new astronomy tent offered by Explore Scientific.

Your thoughts?
Definitely interesting, something worth considering. Would have like to have seen the roof on it.
From the web site
ES-2ROBV_Tent_5_2020_1800x1800.png
seigell
Mars Ambassador

Post by seigell »

I've use the "grandfather" of this - a 5'-cube Pop-up Hunting Blind - for Observing in Central Florida for years. Available from most large Sports / Hunting Stores: https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/amerist ... ound-blind

Our prime concern is the "Heavy Bombardment" of Mosquitos that we get shortly after Sundown. Then the Heavy Dew that occurs as the Temps Fall. Without a Roof, all of your Gear and Computers are quickly Drenched. So, the Table and PC and boxes of gear go inside, with reasonable room left for yourself and a full-size folding party chair. Being a Hunting Blind, the 3x non-door walls have zippered fold-down pass-through Windows (with Zippered/Velcro'd Bug Screening - dark/camouflaged to hide the Hunters - which also does well to darken the glow of Laptop or Red Flashlight). This is PERFECT for passing through Cables and Hand Controllers (and even to see the Laptop Screen while manually Focusing and/or Aligning the Scope). And, being on all 3x sides, I've frequently setup 2x Imaging Rigs on opposite sides, each cabled into the enclosed / roofed "Operator's Room".
As with the "Observing Walls" in the video, the Blind is Floorless (I bring a 6'x6' poly tarp - I've also seen 6'x6' and 10'x10' Camper Patio Rugs). Floorless is "Good" because I also bring along a 2nd Pop-up-Blind which I can quickly "Pop-OVER" the Imaging Rig / Scope / Tripod if surprised by a quick shower or ground-fog.

While it is Good that Explore Scientific (or any other Astronomy Gear Company) is showing interest in Observing Tents, I think that this specific one is likely to FLOP.
  • Without Roof over at least the Observer Area there is too little Structure to face even the most modest Breeze
  • The Tent Fly ("Roof Tarp") is both Too Little and Too Late to be used as a Roof - it can't readily be setup over just half of the combined structure
  • The Tent Fly Stay Ropes are going to be Trip Hazards in the Dark - I can't believe that any Astronomy Gear Company doesn't include a dozen little Dim Red LED "Blinkies" by default with each Tent
  • also: critique of the video:
    • Far too much time and effort on the "gimmick" of "One-Handed assembly"
    • Emphasis on the "Observer's Room" but no Props to actually show any Utility of that room - eg: bringing in a quick Chair and Table - like the Mount brought in for the other room
ES AR152 / ES 80ED Apo / Orion 8in F/3.9 / C9.25-SCT / C6-SCT / C10-NGT / AT6RC / ST-80 / AstroView 90 / Meade 6000 APO 115mm
CGEM (w HyperTune and ADM bling) / 2x CG5-AGT / Forest of Tripod legs / Star Adventurer / Orion EQ-G
550D (Modded-G.Honis) / 60D / 400D / NexImage / NexGuide / Mini 50 SSAG / ST-8300C / ASI120MM-S / ASI1600MM-Cool
Dark Skies in SW CO when I can get there, and badly light polluted backyard when I can't... (Currently Self-Exiled to Muggy Central Florida...)
messier 111
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by messier 111 »

thanks for the tip .
seem to be nice .
I LOVE REFRACTORS . :observer: :sprefac: :Astronomer1: :galleleo: :telescopewink:

Jean-Yves Image

“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”
― Albert Einstein

“I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.”
― Douglas Adams, The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul
pakarinen
Local Group Ambassador

Post by pakarinen »

The 5x5 section would fit nicely on my deck.

I've done a lot of research on pop-up changing tents, camping tents, hunting blinds, ice fishing shelters, and so on. A consistent theme is they can be a royal PITA to fold back up. That may or may not be a problem. And from what I can see in the video, I might question the durability.

For under $50, you can buy a Walmart tent with slide-in poles and cut out a section of roof. OTOH, I think the ES is worth a second look, depending how much you want to spend. I'd also like to see them list the usual camping tent specs (as applicable). Thanks for the tip!
Yes, I am Chuck Finley, but all my friends call me "Wassan the Terrible"

Orion ST120, Meade ST80, Skywatcher 90mm Mak
Twilight 1 / Astro Devices encoders / Nexus II / Manfrotto 475B / Skywatcher AZ5
Nikon Aculon 10x50 / Orion Giant VIew 15x70 / US Navy 1944 Mark 30 7x50 binos

Charter Member - Zeta Eta Theta Pi Fracternity
messier 111
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by messier 111 »

pakarinen wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:08 pm The 5x5 section would fit nicely on my deck.

I've done a lot of research on pop-up changing tents, camping tents, hunting blinds, ice fishing shelters, and so on. A consistent theme is they can be a royal PITA to fold back up. That may or may not be a problem. And from what I can see in the video, I might question the durability.

For under $50, you can buy a Walmart tent with slide-in poles and cut out a section of roof. OTOH, I think the ES is worth a second look, depending how much you want to spend. I'd also like to see them list the usual camping tent specs (as applicable). Thanks for the tip!
do you have a link for the tent ? at walmart .
I LOVE REFRACTORS . :observer: :sprefac: :Astronomer1: :galleleo: :telescopewink:

Jean-Yves Image

“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”
― Albert Einstein

“I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.”
― Douglas Adams, The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul
pakarinen
Local Group Ambassador

Post by pakarinen »

There are a few, Amazon also. IIRC, people tended toward 4-person tents; I lost the link where a guy went into detail on buying, cutting, adding zippers. I think his main concern was the interior height:
astro tent.jpg
I was also looking at this one:

https://www.omegon.eu/instruments/omego ... r_1_select
http://store.smartastronomy.com/poobte.html
Yes, I am Chuck Finley, but all my friends call me "Wassan the Terrible"

Orion ST120, Meade ST80, Skywatcher 90mm Mak
Twilight 1 / Astro Devices encoders / Nexus II / Manfrotto 475B / Skywatcher AZ5
Nikon Aculon 10x50 / Orion Giant VIew 15x70 / US Navy 1944 Mark 30 7x50 binos

Charter Member - Zeta Eta Theta Pi Fracternity
seigell
Mars Ambassador

Post by seigell »

pakarinen wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:08 pm I've done a lot of research on pop-up changing tents, camping tents, hunting blinds, ice fishing shelters, and so on. A consistent theme is they can be a royal PITA to fold back up. That may or may not be a problem. And from what I can see in the video, I might question the durability.
Folding Up is literally a One-Handed Operation (well maybe a little help from the 2nd Hand makes it easier). It's a simple twist of the wrist and a tug (assuming you can remember which way to position your wrist when you grip and twist). The Hoops of Spring Steel do the "Folding" (Coil in on themselves). The Walls are Rip-Stop Nylon and medium-grade YKK-clone Zippers (Mettle Shuttle / Plastic Teeth) and Field-grade Velcro. The one that I have does have a pair of Fiberglass Poles that Insert across the Roof Diagonals to provide additional Rigidity, and Peg-down Loops at the bottom corners. Staked down, mine has withstood 30-35mph Gusts and quick Torrential Downpours.
ES AR152 / ES 80ED Apo / Orion 8in F/3.9 / C9.25-SCT / C6-SCT / C10-NGT / AT6RC / ST-80 / AstroView 90 / Meade 6000 APO 115mm
CGEM (w HyperTune and ADM bling) / 2x CG5-AGT / Forest of Tripod legs / Star Adventurer / Orion EQ-G
550D (Modded-G.Honis) / 60D / 400D / NexImage / NexGuide / Mini 50 SSAG / ST-8300C / ASI120MM-S / ASI1600MM-Cool
Dark Skies in SW CO when I can get there, and badly light polluted backyard when I can't... (Currently Self-Exiled to Muggy Central Florida...)
Star Dad
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Star Dad »

mmmm @pakarinen I wonder what the difference is between these two tents you linked to. That Omegon one sure looks tempting to me for when I go out to Cherry Springs State Park. But the Meade Clear View also looks good. I wonder if either of them has a floor. Also how does one park the scope so you can put the cover on? I suppose one would have to rotate the scope so it was horizontal rather than pointing up at due north. Also there seems to be a significant price differential $179 vs $359.
But these are both very interesting - I had not thought of a tent like structure. Great Idea!
"To be good is not enough when you dream of being great"

Orion 203mm/f4.9/1000mm, converted TASCO 114mm/f9/1000mm to steam punk, Meade 114mm/f9/1000, Coronado PST, Orion EQ-G, Ioptron Mini-Tower and iEQ30, Canon 70D, ASI120MM,ASI294MC
Lady Fraktor
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Kendrick Astro from Canada used to sell a very nice astro tent but they discontinued it due to having a hard time putting minimum orders together to keep the price down.
https://www.kendrickastro.com/observatory.html
Proper Telescopes: Antares 105 f/15, Bresser 102 f/13.2, Celestron 150 f/8, Stellarvue NHNGDX 80 f/6.9, TAL 100RS f/10, TS 102 f/11, UR 70 f/10, Vixen SD115s f/7.7
Mounts: Berlebach Planet w/ 410mm pier, Celestron AS-GT, Celestron CG-5 w/ Argo Navis & tracking motor, SLT w/ 250mm pier & tripod mods, Manfrotto 028b w/ SV M2C, Mantrotto 055Pro w/ 128RC, Skywatcher EQ-5 w/ dual drives, TAL MT1C w/ wood tripod, Vixen SXP w/ HAL-130 & 200mm half pier
Diagonal: 2" A-P Maxbright, 2" Baader Herschel Wedge (P), 2" Zeiss/ Baader Amici Prism (DX2), 2" Long Perng Amici Prism, 2" Stellarvue DX, 2" TeleVue EverBrite
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
SkyHiker
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

If I learned anything it is that you need two hands to set it up especially if you want to sell it!

The demo gives the worst possible impression of stability. While the website shows tiedowns for lateral stability, after this demo I would really like to see someone put it up in a breeze outside, using the tiedowns, and show that it does not blow over.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: 6" Mak-Newt (Comet Hunter), ES ED127CF, ES ED80, Zhumell Z12, AT6RC, Venture RX-7, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with DIY OnStep, AVX, LXD55, Tiltall, Cameras: Fuji X-a1, Canon SX40, Xt, XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Barndoor trackers for 10" Dob and camera, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK
Refractordude
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Refractordude »

ES should concentrate on eyepieces with better eye relief.
Telescopes: Celestron 150mm f/8 Refractor, Meade LX70 120mm f/8 Refractor, Vixen 70mm f/12.9 Refractor, Tasco 49N 50mm Red Refractor
Binoculars: Zhumell 20x80 Giant, Oberwerk LW 11x70, Levenhuk Sherman 7x50
Mounts: Orion SkyView Pro Equatorial, Orion Versago II Altazimuth, Farpoint Universal Parrallogram Mount, Orion Tritech II Fluid Head Tripod
Finders: GSO 8x50 Raci, Svbony Red Dot
Diagonals: GSO Dielectric 2", GSO Dielectric 1.25"
Eyepieces: AgenaAstro 8mm-24mm Zoom, Meade 56mm Plossl, GSO Superview 30mm, Astromania-Olivon 22mm, GSO Plossls 32mm/25mm/20mm, GSO 20mm Superview, Svbony 20mm/15mm/9mm/6mm, Svbony Aspheric 23mm/10mm/4mm, Agena Super Wide Angle 15mm, GSO 2" 2x ED Barlow Lens, Few No Name Brand Ebay Plossls

Return to “Home observatories”