Barn door travel distance?

See sub forums to discuss "Do it yourself" projects.
maceemiller
Jupiter Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Barn door travel distance?

Post by maceemiller »

Hi all.

Hope everyone is staying safe.

Not sure this is an easy question to answer yet on a barn door trap how many millimetres does the trap open per minute?

Reason I ask is I've been given an electric piston that moves at 48mm a second which I'm hoping to slow down to the required rate yet don't know how many mm it needs to be?

I've tried with the gear system yet cant quite get that right so want to play with a new design.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Thankyou....

Carl
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Re: Barn door travel distance?

Post by Graeme1858 »

Carl

The piston will need to rotate your camera at a rate of 15 (360/24) degrees per hour. Which is 0.25 degrees per minute. So the piston will have to be at whatever distance from the barn door hinge is required to achieve this.

You could calculate it approximately then set up a calibration experiment at night.

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

It is up to you to design the barn door so that your 48mm per second gives you the correct tracking rate.

[edit] OK, I did the math for you. The piston would have to be 550 metres from the hinge, so forget a direct drive! You will need to gear it down. Figure out whatever speed reduction or gearing you can get to work, then design the barn door to fit whatever drive rate you end up with.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

I did a quick measurement of mine (it's a curved rod tho) and it seems to be just over 1mm. I have to go to work now, but if you want when I get in I can measure it with a caliper.

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Oh yeah, and Solar Cycle 25 :D
maceemiller
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by maceemiller »

Thefatkitty wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 2:30 pm I did a quick measurement of mine (it's a curved rod tho) and it seems to be just over 1mm. I have to go to work now, but if you want when I get in I can measure it with a caliper.

All the best,
I have the curved rod on my trap yet will have to abandon that idea as will be attaching the piston end to the upper wooden part that holds the camera.

1mm sounds about right (if I imagine it in my head) so no need for calipers....yet!

Its 5.38pm UK time and I'm about to see if I can get it slowed down enough with enough power to push....

If it fails....I'll stick it on ebay.....a quick Google search showed the piston is worth £96.50!!

Cheers mate :)
maceemiller
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by maceemiller »

Well, I managed to slow the piston to about 8mm a minute which is too fast so have to scrub that idea.

Still, I'm loving the experimenting!