12v Power

See sub forums to discuss "Do it yourself" projects.
Jaq1967
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

12v Power

Post by Jaq1967 »

Question: Rather than having so many 12v DC PSU going to one AC block to power up all my equipment (HEQ5 Pro/Camera/Focuser etc...), could I not use just one 12v DC PSU with a huge amperage output, and use a splitter to distribute the power to all the equipment???

Assuming the voltage is regulated and polarity is correct I can't see an issue. Some people use power banks (like the Skywatcher 7 Amp Power Tank). If I use something like:

https://cpc.farnell.com/powerpax/sw3477 ... 20supplies

...the amperage is more than enough to power all the equipment with plenty left over without over cooking it?

As far as I am aware the equipment will only take what it needs as long at the voltage is stable.

Regards

Jaq
Telescopes: Altair Astro Starware 102ED-R, SW P150 reflector, SW SkyMax127 mak, Meade ETX90 mak, SW Startravel 80 Table Top Telescope
Mount: HEQ5-Pro, EQ3-2
Camera: Pentax K-50, Pentax K-70, Altair Hypercam 183C Pro TEC
Accessories: Various

KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: 12v Power

Post by KathyNS »

Yes. I have three 12v power supplies for different purposes in order to keep dome motor current separate from electronics current. The power supply that I use for the electronics can deliver 35 amps of regulated voltage. I run it through a Rigrunner distribution box to the various devices. It runs the mount, the imaging camera, the filter wheel, the focuser and the mirror fan.

I standardized my connectors with Powerpoles. That way, everything can connect to the Rigrunner. And, if I have power supply problems, I can easily re-purpose one of the other power supplies, since all the connectors are compatible.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

yeah. i have an xbox 360 psu wired up, they are 14 amps/175w, powers all my gear, focuser, mount, cmos cooling,telescope mirror fans. i just use a splitter cable, pretty cheap and easy to make. i have a few of them actually , my go to for power supplies.
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

Dragonsfire Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Dragonsfire »

Allot of people are building their own DIY 12v 18650 lithium battery packs, many youtube vids on that so if you have skill in soldering you can put them together inexpensively from Aliexpress parts.
Ive build 5v regulated packs from re-purposed laptop battery packs (18650 batteries), and after 4 months theirs no leakage and has keept its 11v level.
Neil
Orion XT8i Dob, ES AR102
9x50 RACI Finder, TELRAD Reflex Sight, Electro Dot Sight RD400X
Agena SWA 38mm 70 FOV 2" EP, Orion 25+10mm Sirius Plossl 52 FOV EP
ES 82* 11mm, 18mm 2", ES 68* 24mm, 6mm, 25mm Ortho. EP, Televue 3X Barlow,CS lens 2.8mm-12mm F1.4
Filters Baader Continuum, UV/IF cut, Lumicon UHC, DGM OIII. ND5/3.8 Kendrick
GX1 Lumix, E-PM2, ASI224mc, SteadyPix Deluxe, iOptron SkyTracker 7.7lb