Fake star DIY for focusing

See sub forums to discuss "Do it yourself" projects.
maceemiller
Jupiter Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Fake star DIY for focusing

Post by maceemiller »

Hi all.

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but im sure it will be moved if needed.

I love attempting astrophotography.......as hard as it is the whole challenge is amazing yet I suffer from a classic amateur issue......focusing!

I use a Canon DSLR 100d (unmodified) and a Sky-watcher star adventurer mini that I have rigged up to my smartphone.
My usual way of focusing is to point my camera at a bright star and visually try to focus the lens until it looks as sharp as I can tell on my phone screen which at night is quite difficult to get right.......well it is for me :)

It works fine yet I was wondering if I could do anything to make focusing better......and I think ive found a way which may help a few people here.....

Ive read about using a street light in the distance to practice with yet that is not an option where I live as there are none to use so I came up with the idea of using my phones torch as a fake star, yet it was too bright to work with.

So......I cut a small rectangle of cardboard from a cereal packet and coloured it black.
20210805_201940.jpg
I then used a sewing needle to put a small hole in it and sellotaped it over my phones light, yet I offsetted it to keep the light dim....

received_217160743542447.jpeg
I placed my phone about 10 feet away and used APT (astro photography tools) on my laptop and used the focus aid tool......

It worked like a dream and i feel very confident that, when I have a clear night ill be able to focus correctly.

I hope this will help someone or at least get them thinking.....

Thankyou for reading :)

Carl
Attachments
Untitled.png
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Fake star DIY for focusing

Post by JayTee »

Carl,

I believe that ten feet away is not far enough to give you infinity Focus. The light rays at that distance are still diverging since it's not a true point source of light. Tonight, place your light source 50 feet away or further, if you can get away with it, to more closely approximates infinity distance.

Cheers
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

SparWeb Canada
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SparWeb »

Experiment with increasing distances until it works.

While you have your scissors and sellotape out, look for some red film to make a red light filter.
You can use your phone's light to spot things in the dark, but it's hard on the eyes after they've adjusted to the dark.
Steven Fahey
51.248N, 113.53W, 995m ASL
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IALBERTA147
Canon 6D (unmodified) + Lunt 4" (102mm) achromat refractor (7.1 focal ratio) + Celestron AVX mount
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

maceemiller wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:11 pm Not sure if this is the right place to post this but im sure it will be moved if needed.

How about the DIY Corner?

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
maceemiller
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by maceemiller »

JayTee wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:18 am Carl,

I believe that ten feet away is not far enough to give you infinity Focus. The light rays at that distance are still diverging since it's not a true point source of light. Tonight, place your light source 50 feet away or further, if you can get away with it, to more closely approximates infinity distance.

Cheers
Oh I agree....this was just a test to practise with APT. As for infinity I tried it on the Moon late last night and managed quite a sharp focus