Well, THAT didn't work -- DSLR conversion to B&W

See sub forums to discuss "Do it yourself" projects.
BABOafrica Kenya
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Well, THAT didn't work -- DSLR conversion to B&W

Post by BABOafrica »

I got a good deal on an old Fuji X-A2 (ebay). The seller warned me that it had been "exposed to water" and the sensor had "problems" but still worked.

I managed to convert from normal to modded. I did some AP with it. the water damaged showed up because some pixels were creating an off-center smudge. I could work around it in processing. But it was far from ideal. So I decided to use this camera for an experiment -- convert it from color to B&W.

Total failure. The glass epoxied over the sensor was harder to remove than anticipated. Commercially, they remove it with some nasty chemicals. I was not interested in exposing myself to any HF acid... so I tried to cut the glass (first pix) and then break it.

BABO F-A2 B&W conversion 02.jpg

So I broke the glass -- and it did not break according to plan... To put it mildly. NOT a clean break. Anyway, after I broke the glass cover and turned on the camera: this is what I saw on the LCD screen and this is a picture of a soapstone table ornament (with a carved giraffe showing):

BABO F-A2 B&W conversion 02a.jpg
BABO F-A2 B&W conversion 02b.jpg

I knew I was in trouble. The camera would power on, but the sensor was already damaged. That was BEFORE attempting to remove the CFA on the sensor.

Having already bungled the project (probably inevitable given the procedure I was using), I proceeded to try and scrap off some of the CFA. That just made matters worse.

BABO F-A2 B&W conversion 03.jpg

The following is a picture of a set of camera lenses (only one appears on the right of the image because the left side of the sensor is damaged beyond repair).

BABO F-A2 B&W conversion 03b.jpg

BABO
"In lumine tuo videbimus lumen."

Scopes: Stellarvue SV80 Raptor Carbon Fiber ED Doublet / Celestron SCT C8
Williams Optics 66mm APO / DIY 8" f/4 Newtonian astrograph / Nikon 180mm f/2.8
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-G / Celestron AVX / DIY mini-equatorial
Cameras: QHY163m / Fujifilm X-A1 (modded) / Fuji X-A2 (not modded) / Orion StarShoot Auto Guider
Filters: ZWO 7nm NB set / ZWO LRGB set / ZWO Dual Band / Astronomics UHC
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Well, THAT didn't work -- DSLR conversion to B&W

Post by pakarinen »

BABOafrica wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:37 pm I was not interested in exposing myself to any HF acid...
Very wise. Some of our engineering labs use HF. When I was working in that department, it creeped me out to even walk by those labs, especially after a postdoc accidentally got some on him.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Wow that was major failed surgery indeed. Did you do it without taking the camera apart and the sensor out?

Is the X-a2 sensor the same as the X-a1? I just noticed that the X-a2 has a gphoto driver while my X-a1 does not. Just in case I ever want to modify one more, that way I can control it with Ekos.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

"It's dead, Jim!"

You are braver than I am, Babo. At least you have a source of spare parts.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
John Donne United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Donne »

Wow !
I feel your pain here...I have had similar "educational" experiences. Always learning something.
Thank you Joe for sharing your experience.
SCOPES :ES127 f7.5, SW100 f9 Evostar, ES80 F6, LXD75 8" f10 SCT, 2120 10" f10 SCT, ES152 f6.5.
MOUNTS: SW AZ/EQ5, MEADE LXD75, CELESTRON CG4, Farpoint Parallelogram.
BINOCULARS: CL 10X30, Pentax 8X43, 25X100 Oberwerks.
EP: Many.

"I am more than a sum of molecules.
I am more than a sum of memories or events.
I do not one day suddenly cease to be.
I am, before memory.
I am, before event.
I am"
BABOafrica Kenya
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by BABOafrica »

SkyHiker wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:32 pm
Did you do it without taking the camera apart and the sensor out?

Is the X-a2 sensor the same as the X-a1?
Yes and Yes.

If you do manage to control an X-A2 with EKOS, I'd be VERY interested.

Thanks,
Joe

Cameras: QHY163m / Fujifilm X-A1 (modded) / Fuji X-A2 (not modded) / Orion StarShoot Auto Guider
BABOafrica Kenya
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by BABOafrica »

KathyNS wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:49 pm "It's dead, Jim!"

Well, the camera only cost me $40. And, as you said, it good for spare parts. The only thing damaged is the sensor.

I may just buy a new sensor ...

BABO

SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

BABOafrica wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:00 pm
KathyNS wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:49 pm "It's dead, Jim!"

Well, the camera only cost me $40. And, as you said, it good for spare parts. The only thing damaged is the sensor.

I may just buy a new sensor ...

BABO
Are you sure? You got the black part right, the white just needs a little work, lol.

Since I don't have an X-a2 and the electronics of yours still work, you should be able to try a gPhoto client on Linux. If you search for it, it look like it is readily available without having to install Ekos. Ekos is cool though, trying to control my T6 was fun except I forgot to learn how to save the pictures before using it.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images