Meade Star Tracker

See sub forums to discuss "Do it yourself" projects.
Piet Le Roux
Jupiter Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Meade Star Tracker

Post by Piet Le Roux »

I have been looking at a few star tracker camera mounts but with prices between $250 and $500 I had to "put it on the back burner" Then I saw a Meade ETX70, without a controller, on the net selling for about $36 US. The controller is not a problem because I have a spare Autostar so I thought I will give it a go. But it was a lemon: tripod was unusable and all the lenses were removed from the OTA, the seller must have forgotten to mention this! But as the saying goes: when you get lemons make lemonade. After I cleaned the mount inside and got the insects out of the encoders it seem to function fine with my Autostar controller in polar mode and that is what I need to make it a camera tracker. The tripod is also not a problem because I have a old one from a ETX90 that can do polar, all that was left was to modify the OTA to become a camera mount. I did this by making it shorter and mounting a round piece of perspex on the back of it, on this I mounted a Slik ball head camera mount. I Can't wait to try it out!
Startracker 058.JPG
Main Equipment : Tele Vue 27mm Panoptic, 7&13mm Nagler, Big Barlow : 8" Meade LX90ACF with Meade 2.0" Enhanced Diagonal : Camera Fuji XT100
pakarinen
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Meade Star Tracker

Post by pakarinen »

Anxious to see what you can do with that rig.
Yes, I am Chuck Finley, but all my friends call me "Wassan the Horrible"

ST120, ST80, 90mm Mak, Twilight 1, Skywatcher AZ5

Beer gives strength. Be more pirate. Take at look at Delmar here as your paradigm of hope.
helicon
Co-Administrator
Articles: 99

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Nice set-up.
-Michael
Various scopes, 10" Zhumell Dob f/4.9, ES AR152 f/6.5, AWB 5.1" Onesky newt, Oberwerk 25x100 binos, two eyeballs. Camera: ZWO ASI 120
sdbodin
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by sdbodin »

Neat idea, I have one of those from an ETX-60 gathering dust. New project!

Thanks,
Steve
Scopes; Meade 16 LX200, AT80LE, plus bunch just sitting around gathering dust
Cameras; Atik 460ex mono, Zwo ASI1600MC-cool, QHY5L-II color and mono
Piet Le Roux
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Piet Le Roux »

sdbodin wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:57 pm Neat idea, I have one of those from an ETX-60 gathering dust. New project!

Thanks,
Steve
You would have to get a Autostar 497 controller because the original 494 controller can not do polar. I also noticed that I have to select a ETX70 in the setup, with a ETX60 it keep defaulting back to a Az/Alt mode but with the ETX70 selected it will boot in polar mode and you just have to push "mode" 4 times and its tracking.
Main Equipment : Tele Vue 27mm Panoptic, 7&13mm Nagler, Big Barlow : 8" Meade LX90ACF with Meade 2.0" Enhanced Diagonal : Camera Fuji XT100

Return to “The DIY corner”