ES Gen II Truss Dobs?

Discuss Explore Scientific brand telescopes.
KingNothing13 United States of America
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

ES Gen II Truss Dobs?

Post by KingNothing13 »

I may have missed the boat on this one - has anyone here had a chance/have one of the Generation II ES Truss Dobs?

I know that there were some issues with the first generation, and I literally (within the last 5 minutes) saw that there was a Generation II.

Thanks! (I am not even close to actually wanting to get one, just wondering how they compare to Gen I)
-- Brett

Scope: Apertura AD10 with Nexus II with 8192/716000 Step Encoders
EPs: ES 82* 18mm, 11mm, 6.7mm; GSO 30mm
Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars
List Counts: Messier: 75; Herschel 400: 30; Caldwell: 12; AL Carbon Star List: 16
Brett's Carbon Star Hunt

Bikerdib
Mars Ambassador

Re: ES Gen II Truss Dobs?

Post by Bikerdib »

They did address a lot of the known issues but I still went in expecting to have to "tweek" my scope. There was some of the aluminum shavings to deal with (though not near as much as had been reported with gen I scopes). I also reworked the swivel bolt on the base (azimuth movement) but that was partially due to my setting circle add on. I had to do a little alignment fine tuning of the focuser because it arrived slightly loose. Over all though, since I am a tinkerer, I am very satisfied that I got a great scope. In fact, for the money paid, I'd rate it a great deal. I don't know if mine is an exceptional example but the mirrors produce excellent views. I'd do it again in a blink of the eye.

I'd say my biggest complaint is about the friction mechanism for the altitude. It pretty much just keeps the mirror rocker box aligned with the base. Everyone should plan on adding the counterweight system to accommodate heavy eyepieces.
Dennis ~ 45 years of astronomy and not giving up anytime soon
Explore Scientific 16" truss DOB; Explore Scientific 152mm carbon fiber triplet APO w/3" Feathertouch; Explore Scientific 80mm triplet; Apertura 10" DOB w/setting circle & Tweeker's dream; Celestron 9.25" EDGE; Celestron 14" EDGE with Feathertouch focuser; Celestron CGE Pro mount; Celestron AVX mount with ADM "D" saddle; QHY Polemaster; and my first, a Sears 60mm F/11 doublet; ZWO ASI294MC-Cool; 2" & 3" ES field flatteners; Televue 0.8 field flattener/reducer; lots of TV and ES eyepieces; Lunt solar wedge with Celestron XLT 102 refractor; Quark-C
KingNothing13 United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KingNothing13 »

Interesting Dennis, thanks.

They seem, even with the tweaks that have to be done, even at full price, they are a great deal for what they are.
-- Brett

Scope: Apertura AD10 with Nexus II with 8192/716000 Step Encoders
EPs: ES 82* 18mm, 11mm, 6.7mm; GSO 30mm
Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars
List Counts: Messier: 75; Herschel 400: 30; Caldwell: 12; AL Carbon Star List: 16
Brett's Carbon Star Hunt

helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 584

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

I am curious to see how these do in the marketplace. Economical and as Dennis says, offering excellent views. I agree that there were some issues with Gen I - those were reported on AF a few times. As a guy who owns a truss dob I'm aware of the advantages of trusses (weight/portability).
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
The Happy Parrot
Pluto Ambassador
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

Post by The Happy Parrot »

They look really nice and portable. I wonder how long it takes to put one together, Do you keep yours assembled all the time Bikerdib or is it quick and easy to assemble in the field?
Bikerdib
Mars Ambassador

Post by Bikerdib »

I assemble every time.

It is recommended (and I concur) to do the first assembly in full light so you can see what you are doing. IMO, the scariest part is mounting the upper cage on the truss tubes. But after you assemble the scope a couple of times it gets easier, and faster. I'd say I can completely assemble and do a colimation in 30 minutes or less. I use a laser (and I have colimated my laser) and then star test for a final tweak if needed. I'm pretty fit so everything goes pretty easy. I can easily hold the upper cage with one hand while starting the screws with the other. Once the first screw is started, the rest are easier.
Explore Scientific 16" truss DOB; Explore Scientific 152mm carbon fiber triplet APO w/3" Feathertouch; Explore Scientific 80mm triplet; Apertura 10" DOB w/setting circle & Tweeker's dream; Celestron 9.25" EDGE; Celestron 14" EDGE with Feathertouch focuser; Celestron CGE Pro mount; Celestron AVX mount with ADM "D" saddle; QHY Polemaster; and my first, a Sears 60mm F/11 doublet; ZWO ASI294MC-Cool; 2" & 3" ES field flatteners; Televue 0.8 field flattener/reducer; lots of TV and ES eyepieces; Lunt solar wedge with Celestron XLT 102 refractor; Quark-C
Bikerdib
Mars Ambassador

Post by Bikerdib »

Michael, I forget, do you have the classic or UL 18" Obsession?
The Happy Parrot
Pluto Ambassador
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

Post by The Happy Parrot »

Good to hear it can be a one man operation though it takes a little practice. I'd love to have one of these if I ever grow up.
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 584

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Bikerdib wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:22 am Michael, I forget, do you have the classic or UL 18" Obsession?
I have the ultralight model (trusses) which I keep assembled in my living room. Less fuss that way - unless I disassemble it to take to dark sky sites. The whole scope weighs in at about 100 pounds. :)
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Bikerdib
Mars Ambassador

Post by Bikerdib »

helicon wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:42 pm
Bikerdib wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:22 am Michael, I forget, do you have the classic or UL 18" Obsession?
I have the ultralight model (trusses) which I keep assembled in my living room. Less fuss that way - unless I disassemble it to take to dark sky sites. The whole scope weighs in at about 100 pounds. :)
That's what I thought you have. The classic series are beautiful but the wood framework has to add a lot of weight.