Discuss Skywatcher brand telescopes
depratnt United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

My 10" Quattro Arrives Wednesday - Custom mods I will be making

Post by depratnt »

Greetings!

So I have ordered the 10" Sky-watcher Quattro imaging newtonian and I am Beyond excited. Im excited about the resolution and FoV (.78") I will be achieving with my ZWO1600. I think it will pair nicely with my 8rc when seeing conditions are cooperating (.48)". That being said..

There a few modifications I will be making to prevent the following issue: Flares! In a lot of images I've seen produced the the quattro series, I find that a great deal of them have these weird flares between the diffraction spikes. After some research I have found that these flare are due to the primary mirror clips!

I thought about making an aperture reducer by putting some 1" sticky foam window sealer above the secondary around the the inside of the OTA effectively blocking the mirror clips from view without reducing the primary aperture excessively. This will reducer my aperture such that Im imaging at f/4.2 or so. I wont be cutting off an entire inch of aperture because the primary is set a little ways from the inside diameter of the OTA.. hopefully ;).

The focuser is another issue that can cause flare in your brighter stars bcs the drawtube sits too far inside the OTA and somewhat obscures the primary. I saw somewhere that HPS has a shorter adapter that will still allow me to achieve focus while shortening the drawtube!

I was wondering if anyone has much experience with these scopes and has any other upgrades I may be able to make to improve my imaging enjoyment! Thanks guys

Clear skies,
Teagan
Scopes: GSO 8rc
Mount: iOptron CEM60
Camera: ASI1600mm-PRO
Guide cam: QHY5L-ii monochrome
Filters: Astrodon Ha/Oiii )3nm) / LRGB
l
OhNo Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: My 10" Quattro Arrives Wednesday - Custom mods I will be making

Post by OhNo »

I have been using your scopes baby brother. I will be keeping an eye on what you do to it, I'm sure you'll enjoy it!
Scopes: SkyWatcher 8" Quattro, Celestron C8, SkyWatcher ST120, Orion ST80, SharpStar 61EDPH II. SLT 130 Celestron
Mounts: CGEM, CG-4, EQ2, Alt Az, SLT
Cameras: ZWO ASI533MC Pro, ZWO ASI120MM, Canon 1100D
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by depratnt »

OhNo wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:11 pm I have been using your scopes baby brother. I will be keeping an eye on what you do to it, I'm sure you'll enjoy it!
Nice! If you’re referring to the 8” I bet you get some a great widefield views/shots with that. I’m using the Quattro coma corrector which I heard works just fine. What is your collimation method? And does the Coma corrector at 55mm spacing work well for you? Haha so many questions I know. I’m trying to prepare!
l
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

I have the same problem with skywatcher, same diffraction artifact, i ruled out it wasn't the focuser tube, I'll have to give the mirror clips a look at as you said.good luck with your scope and mods, a 10" is great to image with using the right setup and additional mods.
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

OhNo Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OhNo »

As I use a DSLR as an imaging camera. I use a CC like this. https://www.highpointscientific.com/sky ... ans-s20204 It seems to work well. That said, I have been searching for a site that shows examples of what imaging artifacts that might show up in your pictures. So far all I've managed to find out is my "Search Criteria" is weak. Anyone know where I might find examples of each type of artifact?
Scopes: SkyWatcher 8" Quattro, Celestron C8, SkyWatcher ST120, Orion ST80, SharpStar 61EDPH II. SLT 130 Celestron
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

here is an image a took while back on a skywatcher 10'' f4.7,

I think most people with the same problem have the same artifact where it doesn't effect all between points in the spider diffractions from the secondary.

someone at cn sent theres back and got a new one and the problem was gone.
Attachments
m421hr10minfin.jpg
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

OhNo Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OhNo »

Ah, that's what you guys meant!!! Mine doesn't do that thankfully. My images have a tendency to have a horizontal line of amp glow (I think) about 5% of the way up from the bottom of the image. It is quite possible that is has something to do with my old camera sensor... But when I swap my DSLR over to my Atik Infinity the glow is throughout the image.

All-in-all the Quattro series of imaging Newts is a cheap way to gather a lot of light. Mine holds focus well (no auto focus), sadly my other scopes are mad at me, they see little use since my SW Quattro arrived!!!!
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by depratnt »

yobbo89 wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:18 am I have the same problem with skywatcher, same diffraction artifact, i ruled out it wasn't the focuser tube, I'll have to give the mirror clips a look at as you said.good luck with your scope and mods, a 10" is great to image with using the right setup and additional mods.
Im hoping that ill be able to afford a moonlight/auto focusing system as well. I know I would sleep better at night (literally)when I dont have to worry about waking up and checking focus in the -3 degree weather. I had to do some mods to my RC and I expect the same with the quattro. All in all it will be a nice scope to use.
l
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by depratnt »

OhNo wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:21 pm Ah, that's what you guys meant!!! Mine doesn't do that thankfully. My images have a tendency to have a horizontal line of amp glow (I think) about 5% of the way up from the bottom of the image. It is quite possible that is has something to do with my old camera sensor... But when I swap my DSLR over to my Atik Infinity the glow is throughout the image.

All-in-all the Quattro series of imaging Newts is a cheap way to gather a lot of light. Mine holds focus well (no auto focus), sadly my other scopes are mad at me, they see little use since my SW Quattro arrived!!!!
Dark frames should fix that issues!
l
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by depratnt »

yobbo89 wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:07 pm here is an image a took while back on a skywatcher 10'' f4.7,

I think most people with the same problem have the same artifact where it doesn't effect all between points in the spider diffractions from the secondary.

someone at cn sent theres back and got a new one and the problem was gone.
Yes this is a fine example of the flares or spikes I was talking about. The focuser drawtube creates much more dramatic flares that whats presented in this image but the mirror clips are the culprit here Im sure. While not unappealing, I like my spikes to be thin and precise!
l