decision time

Discuss Orion telescopes
roky1141
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

decision time

Post by roky1141 »

hi -- about 15 yrs ago i bought an orion xt10 skyquest intelliscope -- at that time i was living in an airstream in the desert, so the scope was ideal in that setting -- but since then i'm moved to a place where the sky is obscured by a lot of trees, and i really don't feel like lugging that big scope out of town somewhere -- on the other hand, i just came back from another trip into the 4 corners area, with excellent viewing conditions -- but no scope -- so i'm thinking of selling the 10", to down-size to something i can set up at my campsite -- but before i do, i have no idea what to ask for my orion, before i advertise locally(too big to ship) -- i don't care if someone gets a good deal, in fact, i like that -- but i don't want to be foolish either -- any suggestions of what i might expect? -- i did make a repair to the base(chipboard does not hold up well), and after that had a problem with the computer locator, but i think i can fix that -- also, any scope suggestions re: downsizing -- and if you think i should keep the orion, i'll consider that -- thanks for any advice.
as i read this over, i think i should also say that at this time, i am not an avid enthusiast, as many of you are -- i'm just a casual user who'd like to have a telescope i could take with me when i go camping -- could that change, and then i'd start going to star parties at the Cosmic Campground about 60 miles north of here? -- could happen -- and then maybe i'd regret selling the orion -- but i definitely want to start with a smaller scope for camping, cause in the current situation i'm doing no viewing at all, and i know i'd be doing it when i camp.
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Re: decision time

Post by helicon »

Hi and Welcome to TSS. I think a portable 4" refractor might be a good scope for your circumstances - powerful enough to show objects but still quite portable, and should perform well under dark skies on deep sky objects and from your home, on the moon and planets. Let's see what some other folks think!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Lowjiber »

roky1141 wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:00 pm -- i'm just a casual user who'd like to have a telescope i could take with me when i go camping -- could that change, and then i'd start going to star parties at the Cosmic Campground about 60 miles north of here? -- could happen -- and then maybe i'd regret selling the orion -- but i definitely want to start with a smaller scope for camping, cause in the current situation i'm doing no viewing at all, and i know i'd be doing it when i camp.
When it comes to star parties, there is no doubt aperture rules... Keep your Dob. :)

I agree with Michael above. A good 100mm refractor on a decent az/alt mount is perfect for taking along on a camping trip.

Clear Skies
John (Urban Astronomer) Apertura AD10 Dob; XLT 150 Dob; XLT 120EQ; Lunt Solar 60 PT/B1200; ES AR102; SW Pro 100ED; 2 SW Pro 80ED's; 90mm Eq; WO Z-61; SW 90mm Virtuso Mak; 2 Orion ST-80's; Quark-C; Cams: Polemaster, ASI120MM-S, ASI174MM & ASI174MM-C
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Welcome on board!
I agree with Michael and John. 100mm refractor on a manual (ES Twilight I) or GoTo (SW AZGti) mount is a nice grab and go setup and will show you a lot under dark skies. At home it will be good on Moon, planets, doubles and carbons.

Another nice option is 6" or 8" SCT. They are compact and lightweight, can ride on the same mounts as 100mm refractor and equally great on Moon, planets and DSOs. If you plan to do DSO observing on regular basis I would take 6-8" SCT over 100mm frac.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Welcome to TSS!

I would recommend an 8 or 6 inch SCT.

I had an XT10, and I sometimes miss it.
I down graded to an 8" SCT and it comes close to what the 10 did.
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Ylem wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:15 pm Welcome to TSS!

I would recommend an 8 or 6 inch SCT.

I had an XT10, and I sometimes miss it.
I down graded to an 8" SCT and it comes close to what the 10 did.
If I would only have one scope that would be 8" SCT. It is a light bucket but so small and lightweight.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Thefatkitty »

Hi and welcome to TSS!

I agree with the above comments, a 4" frac or an 8" SCT for sure. I used to have a Celestron 4" achro, and it showed a lot and was light/portable. Problem was, at f/6 and being an achro, it showed false color on brighter stars and a lot of green on the Moon/planets. I actually gave it to my nephew, he was so happy and still is; I guess it depends on how much CA you can put up with; but like John said; perfect on a camping trip :D

I recently acquired an 8" SCT from a member on here, and I absolutely love it. However, at 12lbs (just the scope, no diagonal or eyepiece), it requires a bit more mount than the 4" frac did; which weighed in at 5.5lbs, to be stable.

I also still have my Skywatcher 10" which I bought as a "rescue" for $300. The base needed work, much like yours. I ended up cutting 5-1/4" off the bottom of the base and replacing the top part of the azimuth section. It's now the height and weight of an 8", yet it's still work to take it out and much space in the car.

At f/10 focal length, I believe the SCT has a deeper "reach" than my f/5 10", at least from what I've seen so far. The 10" is definitely a wider field of view, at least from memory, but I'd have to get both out together to make a fair comparison. If the skies ever clear here...

If you can, I'd go for an 8" SCT. I've included a pic for comparison. Since I don't have the 4" frac anymore, I substituted my 80mm which rides on the same mount the 4" did; an older CG4.

The 10" is f/5, the 8" is f/10, and the 80mm (3.1") is f/11.6. BTW, please excuse the mess that is my basement... :lol:

1083.jpg

The SCT is for sure the space saver and with the power to please!

I hope this helps, and best of luck on your decision. Please let us all know how it goes and what you decide on :D

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Nice shot Mark! A picture really worth a thousand words. :D