John Donne United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Old Kit for an old kid. 😊

Post by John Donne »

20211113_234933.jpg
This Celestron "Celestrar 8" is fork mounted. It is equiped with an RA tracking motor and very large setting circles and nice fine adjustment knobs for manual RA and Dec control.

It took a while to figure out how to set it up and discover its operation. I have not been out under a dark sky yet, but I think I am going to like this rig.
I will be able to do my hand navigation and star hopping with maybe a bit of assist from the setting circles. When I find my target I can turn on the tracker and enjoy the view eithout constant adjustment.

This is a 1996 Celestron SCT with "Starbright" coatings. This is not as good as the XLT coatings but it is supposed to be pretty good. This is the non computerized fork mount.
20211113_234804.jpg
It will be fun to give this a go.
SCOPES :ES127 f7.5, SW100 f9 Evostar, ES80 F6, LXD75 8" f10 SCT, 2120 10" f10 SCT, ES152 f6.5.
MOUNTS: SW AZ/EQ5, MEADE LXD75, CELESTRON CG4, Farpoint Parallelogram.
BINOCULARS: CL 10X30, Pentax 8X43, 25X100 Oberwerks.
EP: Many.

"I am more than a sum of molecules.
I am more than a sum of memories or events.
I do not one day suddenly cease to be.
I am, before memory.
I am, before event.
I am"
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Old Kit for an old kid. 😊

Post by Thefatkitty »

That's a beauty Mark; I quite like that! Supposedly they were very well made, this might be of interest to you.

My C80-HD was made in the same time frame (96/97) and I have nothing but praise for it. Hopefully your C8 is of the same quality which I'm sure it will be! :D

Looking forward to a first light report,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Oh yeah, and Solar Cycle 25 :D
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Nice ring Mark! Should be fun to operate. I love the oversized RA and Dec circles. You should be able to place a target within finder FOV no problem.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Great scope, I love mine :)

It's got some weight to it though, I defork it, but I plan to refork since I also have an 8SE at this point.

Enjoy!
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Donne »

Thefatkitty wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:12 pm That's a beauty Mark; I quite like that! Supposedly they were very well made, this might be of interest to you.

My C80-HD was made in the same time frame (96/97) and I have nothing but praise for it. Hopefully your C8 is of the same quality which I'm sure it will be! :D

Looking forward to a first light report,
Great info Mark.
This is another "Henkmeister" that I had not unboxed untill yesterday.
I LIKE it !

I think it will nake a grest star hopping machine. I am keen on using these big RA and Dec circles.
I am going to try to find doubkes lisyed in my Sussie Hasse book.

I have been driving it around in my living room today...through the windows but what the heck. 😊

It is very easy to manipulate this fork set up and the slow mo controls are as smooth as the article said.

It will be a least a week before I have clear skies...😫
Regards to you Mark.
SCOPES :ES127 f7.5, SW100 f9 Evostar, ES80 F6, LXD75 8" f10 SCT, 2120 10" f10 SCT, ES152 f6.5.

I am, before memory.
I am, before event.
I am"
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Donne »

Bigzmey wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:06 pm Nice ring Mark! Should be fun to operate. I love the oversized RA and Dec circles. You should be able to place a target within finder FOV no problem.
I am thinking these ra and dec circles should actually do as you have suggested Andrey. When I get a night and get this kit set up I am going to see if I can locate some of the doubles in my Sissy Hass book by this method.

😊😊😊

Clear skies to you Andrey.

I am, before memory.
I am, before event.
I am"
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Donne »

Ylem wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:19 pm Great scope, I love mine :)

It's got some weight to it though, I defork it, but I plan to refork since I also have an 8SE at this point.

Enjoy!
When I unpacked this scope I thought maybe I would defork it as you did, but after playing with it and seeing how it works I think I will have a lot if fun with it as it is.

Thank you Ylem.
Ckear skies to you.

I am, before memory.
I am, before event.
I am"
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 584

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Quite a nice SCT and a real "classic" Mark - hope you really enjoy it!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

very nice setup , clear sky .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , berno mack 3 with telepod , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

I do miss the fork mount and circles on my old C8. I don't miss the weight of the pod, wedge, and fork though. Ah well, trade-offs...
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Donne »

I had a short sky opening last night...not enough for a real outing, but I set up and looked at the moon...

DANG !
The moon is so much fun !
But when I got done I was blind in my left eye for ten minutes. 😊

I turned on the drive and it hummed along and stayed right on the moon. I was only out for about 10 minutes because all I had on my feet were my night slippers. The feet got cold pretty quick but I am excited about this old monster.

It has no vibration to recover from when driving the slo-mo controls. I have read that the dec balance or lack thereof is a problem. I did not notice any big issue. I have some soft wrights I can strap on of I find issues with this. I made sure all the connecting fasteners that hold the folk to the wedge were tight. One was not quite, but a quick turn with my allen wrench took care of that.

There is no way to adjust the tripod legs but to shim them. I was on the level last night so it did not matter. I will figure some convenuent shimming proceedure when I take it out for real. 😊

Well thats it for now. All smiles so far !!!

I am, before memory.
I am, before event.
I am"
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Donne »

By 0100 this morning Orion had emerged into my viewing slot in the trees.
I took in a great view of the nebula and stars. The Trapezium stars were bloated, seeing being quite poor, but I was able to enjoy this outing.
I have experienced some tiny settling vibration at higher magnification. It was difficult to judge this because of the scintilating stars
The lunar view was stunning and I look forward to that view in a more stable sky.

One may ask why I would fool with this old kit when I have nice goto mounts that find and track the targets with little effort.
It's fun...😊

I am, before memory.
I am, before event.
I am"
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

It sure is fun, having this equipment. I had an orange one on a fork mount once and I used the setting circles years on end; and it worked!
Great find, have a lot of fun with it!
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

John Donne wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:33 pm By 0100 this morning Orion had emerged into my viewing slot in the trees.
I took in a great view of the nebula and stars. The Trapezium stars were bloated, seeing being quite poor, but I was able to enjoy this outing.
I have experienced some tiny settling vibration at higher magnification. It was difficult to judge this because of the scintilating stars
The lunar view was stunning and I look forward to that view in a more stable sky.

One may ask why I would fool with this old kit when I have nice goto mounts that find and track the targets with little effort.
It's fun...😊
There is no wrong way to enjoy the heavens and I do use GoTo under light polluted skies when not enough stars visible for manual navigation. But, I REALLY enjoy finding targets with manual mounts under darker skies. It is like sailing vs driving motor boat, both enjoyable but completely different experience.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi Mark. Wow this is a great classic vintage unit to add to your telescope arsenal. And I am glad that you have already enjoyed using this new instrument and it is great fun for lunar/planetary viewing and star hopping. Thanks for your report Mark and the best of wishes for many clear night skies.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

What a neat scope Mark! Have fun!

Man, Henry sure did have some kit!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/