update firmware for starsense on 8se

Discuss Celestron telescopes
pbalvin
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

update firmware for starsense on 8se

Post by pbalvin »

I put the starsense camera and HC on the 8se and hooked them up. Cam firmware is up-to-date but the HC firmware shows1.20.19207. The latest is supposed to be 1.20.20244 so I want to update. I hooked up the HC to my win 10 computer with USB/mini USB. Months ago I updated nexstar+ HC and the motor focus. Now I can't find the cfm on the computer to get the firmware file and install it. I downloaded the CFM zip file again and thought I unzipped it but there is no cfm file included. What am I doing wrong?
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Re: update firmware for starsense on 8se

Post by Graeme1858 »

Put the CFM zip file in a new folder and call the folder CFM. Then right click the zip file and choose "Extract here"

Then have a read through this: https://www.nexstarsite.com/OddsNEnds/H ... arPlus.htm

Let us know how you get on.

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
pbalvin
Earth Ambassador

Post by pbalvin »

thank you for responding. I read all the stuff again. Java is installed. I put a cfm folder on the desktop . After extraction the only cfm file in the folder is cfm.jar. And (same as yesterday) I get into a loop when I try to open it. A box shows: "Internet Explorer What do you want to do with cfm.jar?" I press "open". I get the same box over and over again. I'll call celestron unless you know what the problem is.
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

pbalvin wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:42 pm thank you for responding. I read all the stuff again. Java is installed. I put a cfm folder on the desktop . After extraction the only cfm file in the folder is cfm.jar. And (same as yesterday) I get into a loop when I try to open it. A box shows: "Internet Explorer What do you want to do with cfm.jar?" I press "open". I get the same box over and over again. I'll call celestron unless you know what the problem is.

I got that from the Celestron.com link but I got the files as described in the instructions using this link:

https://software.celestron.com/updates/ (the first link)

Try that.

Have you got the usb lead to connect the hand controller to your pc?

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
pbalvin
Earth Ambassador

Post by pbalvin »

same loop happens when I get the zip file from your link above. Mini usb plugged into HC to usb hooked up to computer. I tried all this with the hc turned on and off a few times. Talk about things going wrong: I couldn't register for online Celestron help. Actually I registered but when I entered my problem it said my post was fraudulent. So I called. Waited awhile then pressed "1" for them to call me back. My phone, though, turned the ringer volume all the way down by itself so I missed the call back. I have another call into them. Nothing has been going right. I would like someone to remotely take over this computer so they can see for themselves.
pbalvin
Earth Ambassador

Post by pbalvin »

Celestron tech support could not fix my problem. I have a Dell Desktop XPS 8940, Intel Core i7-1070 cpu 2.9 and 2.9 Ghz, 32 GB ram. but it doesn't do screenshots (even tried regedit) so he couldn't see what I was telling him was on the screen. We spent all morning trying to figure out why I couldn't install the cfm.jar program. He couldn't tell me. I had already tried everything anyway. I gave up. So I'm using 1.20.19207 HC firmware instead of 1.20.20244. I'll never know if subsequent problems with the HC are because of that. I might try again later after I pay Dr. Fix-It (in my neighborhood) to look at everything on this desktop.
pbalvin
Earth Ambassador

Post by pbalvin »

One weird thing I'm unhappy about is that I used the CFM to download and install previous firmware updates for the old HC+ and motor focuser. I just need it now for the starsense HC. The Celestron guy said it should not have disappeared but couldn't tell me where it might be on my hard drive. I looked everywhere and it is not in the Control Panel Programs and Features. Can anyone else find it that has used it?