Newtonian only has three screws near mirror

Discuss Celestron telescopes
StarLord101
Moon Ambassador
Articles: 0

Newtonian only has three screws near mirror

Post by StarLord101 »

So I picked up an avx mount that comes with a celestron 6" Newtonian. I don't have much experience with Newtonians and collimation but I have done it before. As I finish aligning the secondary and go to the primary, I pause.... There is only three surprisingly small screws on the back where the primary is. To my knowledge there is always supposed to be six! Three pairs of screws where one of them affects the collimation position, and the other is the lock screw to set it in place. Heck, my 114gt celestron Newtonian has six screws on the back as I write this. 3 textured knobs for adjusting the primary each paired with a standard screw to lock the position in.

The avx 6" Newtonian only has three small screw heads on the rear behind the mirror, and none on the side in case the design was different. When I look inside I see two screws for each mirror clip plus three seperate screws holding the mirror. Worse, for some reason, the celestron manual for the avx has zero mention about how to collimate their scope, or even a diagram pointing out the parts. It's like they wanted to save money and only print or include a single generic manual to cover all the variants of scope and avx they sell. As for scopes, it only lists a table with the specs for each kind, and the "instructions" for each model basically just explain how to insert an eyepiece and turn the screw to hold it (seriously celestron?!). Does anyone have this model of scope or know what the deal is? I couldn't even find a picture of the rear of it through Google Image search hoping it would give me a clue. Oh, and celestron site does have a help article about collimation, but it's generic and applies to all Newtonians, and directly references the fact that there is supposed to be a lock screw and collimation screw together x 3 on the back
LXD75 GEM mount used with 90mm Meade Refractor, 102mm Celestron reflector, and a deforked Original Meade ETX Mak
Canon T1i stock
Various modified or 3d printed DIY enhancements or tweaks
Does a kids sunglass lens count as a fancy filter? Cause I have lots of those :)
StarBru United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Newtonian only has three screws near mirror

Post by StarBru »

Sorry to hear about this! Even my inexpensive Galileo 120mm f/8.3 Newtonian has the 6 screws on it, same as your 114mm! It also has some nice optics, no complaints here, considering I have seen more comets through it than any of my other scopes.
Bruce

Refractors: Meade AR-5 127mm f/9.3, Meade ST-80 f/5 and Meade 60mm f/12, Jason 60mm f/15 #313, Jason 60mm f/12 #306 S7, Bushnell Sky Chief III 60mm f/15.
Reflectors/Catadioptrics: Meade 10" F/4 Schmidt-Newtonian, Galileo 120mm f/8.3 Newtonian, Meade 2045D 4" f/10 SCT, Meade ETX-90EC f/13.8 & Sarblue 60mm f/12.5 Maksutov-Cassegrains.
Mounts: Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro & Meade LXD55 Equatorial mounts, ES Twilight II and Meade 2102 ALT/AZ mounts, a modified 10" SkyQuest Dobsonian mount, various 60mm EQ mounts.
Misc: Celestron 20x80mm binoculars, Revolution II Imager/accessories, & lots of optical accessories/eyepieces.
Projects: 8" f/2.9 and 65mm f/10 reflectors, Dobson-style binocular mirror mount.
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Can you post a picture of the back of the telescope?
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
StarLord101
Moon Ambassador

Post by StarLord101 »

Hopefully that shows up. There is 4 screws on the tube itself, but I confirmed that these do not go into the mirror nor correlate with the position of the rear screws. They appear to just be screws for the tube as they are also on the front end and do not protrude into the tube
Attachments
20200607_120735.jpg
LXD75 GEM mount used with 90mm Meade Refractor, 102mm Celestron reflector, and a deforked Original Meade ETX Mak
Canon T1i stock
Does a kids sunglass lens count as a fancy filter? Cause I have lots of those :)
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

That looks more like it is just a dust cover, have you removed it?
What colour is the tube?
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
StarLord101
Moon Ambassador

Post by StarLord101 »

Also, in case anyone is wondering what exactly the hell is bright orange between the main scope and guide scope, the thread on the base of my guide scope rings does not match any of the hole thread on any of the dovetail bars I have. There was no way therefore to attach the rings directly to the dovetail since I couldn't screw through both with one screw. So, I put on my tinkering hat and designed a 3d model for an adjustable dovetail mounting block based on the commercial items that cost over $100 for $3 worth of metal. Then I 3d printed it with solid abs. If anyone would like the model files to play with or modify or try for themselves, please let me know and I'll make it available as open source
Attachments
20200607_120822.jpg
Canon T1i stock
StarLord101
Moon Ambassador

Post by StarLord101 »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:15 pm That looks more like it is just a dust cover, have you removed it?
What colour is the tube?
My thoughts exactly, but the screws appear to be what is holding the mirror into the tube as it lines up exactly.
Canon T1i stock
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Baars »

I still think Lady Fraktor is right.

Anyway, I have seen lots of Newtons with only three screws at the back. As a matter of fact I build three of them myself.
In that case the mirror cell is spring-loaded. If you turn the screw the cell moves, turn it back and it returns to is former position.

Easily checked though. Point the telescope at a random target. Look through it. Give one screw 1/4 turn. If the image has shifted, it is a spring loaded cell. It it doesn't it is just the screw of a dust cover.
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Those screws look very tiny though, collimation screws are usually more substantial than those.
I would tip it up so the mirror is the low point and get a driver but that is me :lol:
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

John Baars wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:42 pm
Anyway, I have seen lots of Newtons with only three screws at the back. As a matter of fact I build three of them myself.
In that case the mirror cell is spring-loaded. If you turn the screw the cell moves, turn it back and it returns to is former position.

Easily checked though. Point the telescope at a random target. Look through it. Give one screw 1/4 turn. If the image has shifted, it is a spring loaded cell. It it doesn't it is just the screw of a dust cover.
An excellent point John, I did not even think of the possibility of them simply being spring loaded.
You would think Celestron would mention something about it though.
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

According to the C6N manual on the Celestron website, that is merely a cover that needs to be removed to reveal 3 knurled knobs that will allow you to collimate the primary mirror.

Here's the link to the manual. https://s3.amazonaws.com/celestron-site ... _31056.pdf

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

That's a dust cover.
I had an Orion 130 like that. I left it off thinking it might cool faster.

Behind that there were 3 knobs.
My Dob, if I recall, also just had 3 spring loaded knobs ;)

I prefer just 3 screws, my Mak has six :( drives me nuts LOL
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 584

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

The 3 screws hold the dust cover on. I expect the collimating knobs will be behind it.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Richard South Africa
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Richard »

100% dust cover screws , I had a few like that
Reflectors GSO 200 Dobs
Refractors None
SCT C5 on a SLT mount
Mak 150 Bosma on a EQ5
BigKahuna United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by BigKahuna »

I have the same telescope (C6N). You need to remove that cover with the 3 screws. The adjustments are underneath. There are 3 screw tighteners and 3 Hex Key adjustments under there.
Telescopes/Mounts : Explore Scientific ED102 or Celestron C6N on AVX, 8SE OTA on ASGT, NexStar 114GT/AZ, Meade ETX-90EC w/ Observer Base, Orion XT10i
Binoculars: Pentax 10x50
Camera : ZWO 533MC Pro, Canon EOS Rebel T6, ZWO ASI224MC

Clear Skies,
Ron
Member ASTRA-NJ