Nexstar SE series data cable for connecting either the hand controller or the mount to a pc or laptop.

Discuss Celestron telescopes
Rick2057
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

Nexstar SE series data cable for connecting either the hand controller or the mount to a pc or laptop.

Post by Rick2057 »

I would like to know what the options are when connecting data cables to the above. If I want to control the scope via pc do I connect direct to the hand controller via the port at the bottom of the controller or direct to the port on the mount. I managed to update the firmware for the hand controller by connecting an inherited cable to the bottom of the handset that used an RS 232 port on an old pc, as my every day pc doesn't have the convenience of an RS 232 port. The outlet port on the bottom of the handset is different to the port the handset uses to connect to the mount. I would like to be able to use a later more powerful pc to make both connections direct to the mount or hand controller with a usb port on my pc.
As I have already written, if I manage to figure out the correct cables, I'm unsure whether using software on a pc to control the scope should connect direct to the mount or through the hand controller.
20200606_114254.jpg
Rick2057
Earth Ambassador

Re: Nexstar SE series data cable for connecting either the hand controller or the mount to a pc or laptop.

Post by Rick2057 »

20200606_122845.jpg
Handcontroller outlet connector
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Re: Nexstar SE series data cable for connecting either the hand controller or the mount to a pc or laptop.

Post by Graeme1858 »

If the Nexstar SE is the same as my CGX then you can control the mount through the port on the mount using the CPWI software. This is a good package but you will have no ASCOM capability. If you intend to also control a camera, guide scope, filter wheel etc then you need ASCOM so you will connect your pc to the mount via the hand controller.

You can get a converter for USB to RS232.

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
Rick2057
Earth Ambassador

Post by Rick2057 »

Thank you Graeme. I will study up on some of those acronyms and digest! I dont know if I'm trying to find something that doesn't exist, but I would like to be able to connect direct to either the controller or mount with USB rather than rs 232 as my designated pc doesn't use rs232. The old one does, but there are numerous software issues that limit the use of this old xp computer when trying to run current executable programs. Also the convenience of connecting cables direct using usb will allow the use of tablet and phone apps.
Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Greenman »

As Graeme suggests Celestron CWPI will control an SE (I use this on my Nexstar SE6. ASCOM control works well through APT and in that way you can drive both the scope and camera:

CWPI https://www.celestron.com/pages/celestr ... l-software

APT https://astrophotography.app/

You might need to update the hand controller https://www.celestron.com/pages/drivers-and-software
CRM Celestron Firmware Manager.
Cheers,

Tony.

Smart Scope: Dwarf II - Club and outreach work.

AP Refractor: Altair 72EDF Deluxe F6;1x & 0.8 Flatteners; Antares Versascope 60mm finder. ASIAir Pro.Li battery pack for grab & go.

Celestron AVX Mount; X-cel LX eyepieces & Barlows 2x 3x, ZWO 2” Filter holder,

Cameras: main DSO ASI533MC; DSO guide ASI120MM; Planetary ASI224MC; DSLR Canon EOS100 stock.

Filters: Astronomik IR cut; Optolong L-Pro; Optolong L-Enhance.

Binoculars: Celestron 15 x 70.

Latitude: 52.219853
Longitude: -1.034471
Accuracy: 5 m
Bortle 4 site. https://maps.google.com/?q=52.21985,-1.03447

JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

CWPI still has bugs - my recommendation is to not use it yet. Instead, download and load the ASCOM drivers for Celestron telescopes. You will also need the RJ6 to Serial and the Serial to USB cables (you may already have these). So plug the USB connector into your laptop and the RJ6 into either the base of the HC or into the PC or AUX port (depending on which Celestron mount you own). If you use the plug on the HC you will still be able to control your mount with both the HC and the slew controls provided by either ASCOM or the Planetarium or Image Acquisition software. If you choose to plug the RJ6 into the mount base, you will lose HC control capability. I prefer to plug into the base of the HC.

Next, go into the device manager and then select COM ports to see which Com port has been assigned to the cable. Now when you set up the ASCOM drivers you will tell it which Com port the cable is using. If you don't do this then no communications can happen between your mount and the laptop. Once ASCOM is running (in the background) you can start a myriad of free planetarium software titles to run/slew your mount. These are Cartes du Ciel, Stellarium, SkyTech X (STX), and Computer Aided Astronomy (C2A) to name a few. All of the Image Acquisition software titles (APT, BYE/N, SGP, NINA, etc) will also slew your mount to your intended target.

One of the nice things about the type of software title (Planetarium or Image Acquisition) they give you the ability to "sync" your mount. Meaning if your goto puts the intended object near the edge of the FOV, you can center it with your HC then tell the laptop software to "sync" the mount to correct the small error that caused the object to not be centered in the FOV after the slew.

Hope this helps,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Rick2057
Earth Ambassador

Post by Rick2057 »

Thanks for the last two posts Greenman and Jaytree. I appreciate your time and input and will study the advice and suggestions. I have two cables arriving early next week to make a start towards computer controlled astronomy. I have a DSLR to use with the scope but not had an opportunity, or a clear night to dip my toe in the water yet. Sending live images to a pc based control system may be better achieved with a dedicated camera. I need to spend more money.....
Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Greenman »

I have used APT with my DSLR Canon 100D and it works well, I would play around with DSLR first and then decide on the Astro camera you want. As that will always depend on what you decide to concentrate on. Have fun on the journey.
Cheers,

Tony.

Smart Scope: Dwarf II - Club and outreach work.

AP Refractor: Altair 72EDF Deluxe F6;1x & 0.8 Flatteners; Antares Versascope 60mm finder. ASIAir Pro.Li battery pack for grab & go.

Celestron AVX Mount; X-cel LX eyepieces & Barlows 2x 3x, ZWO 2” Filter holder,

Cameras: main DSO ASI533MC; DSO guide ASI120MM; Planetary ASI224MC; DSLR Canon EOS100 stock.

Filters: Astronomik IR cut; Optolong L-Pro; Optolong L-Enhance.

Binoculars: Celestron 15 x 70.

Latitude: 52.219853
Longitude: -1.034471
Accuracy: 5 m
Bortle 4 site. https://maps.google.com/?q=52.21985,-1.03447