SN6 Restore

Discuss Meade brand telescopes.
moonpie4594 Ukraine
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

SN6 Restore

Post by moonpie4594 »

I'm looking for advice on restoring a 2002 SN6 that has been stored away for 17 yrs. At the time I got so disgusted with the drive problems I mothballed it. Due to renewed interest and the fact that I have heard some positive reports on the OTA is it really worth messing with? Even though it was put away with all covers in place it now has spiderwebs inside and will have to have the optics removed. Any advice will be appreciated.
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1037

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Re: SN6 Restore

Post by Gordon »

Typically older meade optics are good so It's probably worth the effort. Do you have any photos?

After doing some poking around it appears you can find them used for about $100.00 so it has some value.
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

a100171 United States of America
Mars Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by a100171 »

I have all three of these (6" 8" 10") and have nothing but good to say. The 6" is light, and does not present a large wind target. I have had it out at -17 degrees looking at M42, which looked amazing, and almost 3D.

I spent more on the focuser (Moonlight) than the scope. And it is still in very-good shape, and was made very well.

I actually bought a special polymer ("First Contact Polymer) to try and thoroughly clean a hazy corrector on the SN-10. Brush-on and peel. Just haven't gotten around to it.
Meade 6", 8", and 10" SN, Meade 10" f/6.3 Lx200, ES ES-102, Meade 90mm DS-2000, Celestron CPC-800 HD, Celestron , AVX, CGEM-DX, Twilight I mounts. Omegon 2.1x 41mm Binocs.
Hyperstar for EdgeHD, ZWO and Celestron Nightscape CCD. A fully-functional Meade 12" RCX-400.
StarBru United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by StarBru »

I think the Meade SN's are an amazing design with great optics! I still can't believe they are no longer in production! The 6" would be nice because it is the lightest of the three, but Gordon can tell you a lot more about it since he owns one. Just be aware that the front and back optics come perfectly aligned and need to be marked with the tube before you take it apart. I can give you a copy of the file on how to do that along with other upgrades/maintenance if you need it, and it's also still available online, I think.

I currently own two of the LXD55 10" versions. I bought the 2nd one because it came with the JMI hard case, vixen style finder base, and an upgraded JMI motorized crayford focuser. I plan to sell one of them in the near future.

As for maintenance and upgrades I have taken both of them completely apart, cleaned the primary mirrors and front correctors, changed all the hardware to stainless steel, tightened the secondary assemblies because they come loose over time, added Scopestuff's secondary collimation screws and dovetail replacement bars, and added a GSO 8x50 RACI Finder with the Vixen style dovetail base to the first scope, and added home-made Wilson rotating rings.

The LXD mount that my first scope came with cannot handle the 30 pound OTA weight. I have converted my original scope to a Dobson mount until I can afford a larger mount. Here is a photo of it:
Attachments
IMG_20200517_192921893.jpg
Bruce

Refractors: Meade AR-5 127mm f/9.3, Meade ST-80 f/5 and Meade 60mm f/12, Jason 60mm f/15 #313, Jason 60mm f/12 #306 S7, Bushnell Sky Chief III 60mm f/15.
Reflectors/Catadioptrics: Meade 10" F/4 Schmidt-Newtonian, Galileo 120mm f/8.3 Newtonian, Meade 2045D 4" f/10 SCT, Meade ETX-90EC f/13.8 & Sarblue 60mm f/12.5 Maksutov-Cassegrains.
Mounts: Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro & Meade LXD55 Equatorial mounts, ES Twilight II and Meade 2102 ALT/AZ mounts, a modified 10" SkyQuest Dobsonian mount, various 60mm EQ mounts.
Misc: Celestron 20x80mm binoculars, Revolution II Imager/accessories, & lots of optical accessories/eyepieces.
Projects: 8" f/2.9 and 65mm f/10 reflectors, Dobson-style binocular mirror mount.
moonpie4594 Ukraine
Earth Ambassador

Post by moonpie4594 »

Thanks for the replies. It is very helpful to get advice from members who have been there. Sometimes there might maybe could possibly be some misinformation out there on the web. Yes?

Gordon,
I will try to post some pics tomorrow.
If the scope is only worth $100 I will keep it and make it my next project.
I'm presently recuperating from a ruptured quadriceps tendon resulting from a fall. Happened in the house, not out in the dark!
So I have plenty of time for this project.
And, one more thing - Do you play guitar left handed or is your avatar flipped? Ha

a100171,
This sounds very encouraging. If your 3 SNs are good mine should be worth cleaning/upgrading.
The "First Contact Polymer" sounds like a good way to clean the corrector. Less chance of scratching/sleeking.
But maybe you can go first and let me know.

StarBru,
Shame on you for hording SN10s! I went for the TP. I have the disassembly instructions from the Weisner LXD55-75 site. Can you verify this is the correct one?
My budget won't allow me to do all the upgrades, but cleaning and collimation are within my reach now.
Love the photo. The SN10 looks right at home on the SkyQuest rocker box. Also the home-made rotating ring is great to get that eyepiece in the no-contortionist position
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1037

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Gordon »

I'm a lefty.
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by StarBru »

moonpie4594 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 12:49 am StarBru,
Shame on you for hording SN10s! I went for the TP. I have the disassembly instructions from the Weisner LXD55-75 site. Can you verify this is the correct one?
My budget won't allow me to do all the upgrades, but cleaning and collimation are within my reach now.
Love the photo. The SN10 looks right at home on the SkyQuest rocker box. Also the home-made rotating ring is great to get that eyepiece in the no-contortionist position
Thanks, and yes, the Weasner site is the correct one. At one time Ocean Pacific Telescopes (OPT) had some good hints & tips, I don't know if it's included at the Weasner site or not. It helps to be able to add on upgraded focuser or a vixen style finder base if needed when you remove the back and front optics from the tube, otherwise you will have to remove them again when you add those items down the road.
Bruce

Refractors: Meade AR-5 127mm f/9.3, Meade ST-80 f/5 and Meade 60mm f/12, Jason 60mm f/15 #313, Jason 60mm f/12 #306 S7, Bushnell Sky Chief III 60mm f/15.
Reflectors/Catadioptrics: Meade 10" F/4 Schmidt-Newtonian, Galileo 120mm f/8.3 Newtonian, Meade 2045D 4" f/10 SCT, Meade ETX-90EC f/13.8 & Sarblue 60mm f/12.5 Maksutov-Cassegrains.
Mounts: Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro & Meade LXD55 Equatorial mounts, ES Twilight II and Meade 2102 ALT/AZ mounts, a modified 10" SkyQuest Dobsonian mount, various 60mm EQ mounts.
Misc: Celestron 20x80mm binoculars, Revolution II Imager/accessories, & lots of optical accessories/eyepieces.
Projects: 8" f/2.9 and 65mm f/10 reflectors, Dobson-style binocular mirror mount.
moonpie4594 Ukraine
Earth Ambassador

Post by moonpie4594 »

Thanks StarBru
Maybe I should hold off on the teardown until I at least have an upgrade for the focuser on hand. I will consider this.
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by StarBru »

moonpie4594 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 10:00 am Thanks StarBru
Maybe I should hold off on the teardown until I at least have an upgrade for the focuser on hand. I will consider this.
I actually didn't install an upgraded focuser on my original OTA when I took it apart to clean and tighten up the optics, I didn't want to wait. I have taken it apart several times since then to perform the Ultimate Collimation procedure and for other reasons. Once you get past the nervousness of tearing it apart the first time, it's no big deal after that.
Bruce

moonpie4594 Ukraine
Earth Ambassador

Post by moonpie4594 »

Ok, I have completed my considering. It's time for me to have at it!
moonpie4594 Ukraine
Earth Ambassador

Post by moonpie4594 »

Pics of Meade SN6's current condition.
Attachments
SN6 Corrector.jpg
Home of the arachnids.jpg
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by StarBru »

Yep! Both the front corrector front and back, the primary, and probably the secondary mirrors are going to need a good cleaning! Looks like spider webs in the tube as well! Did you get the front cover with it to protect the corrector?

Whew! I thought mine was bad before I cleaned it! Be careful with taking it apart and cleaning it! You can probably Google info on how it should be done unless you already have it. Unless you have cleaned telescope optics before?
Bruce

moonpie4594 Ukraine
Earth Ambassador

Post by moonpie4594 »

Hey StarBru

It did come with the front cover. Both it and the focuser plug were in place when I stored it away. Also I added a few packs of desicant and wrapped it in plastic. Placed in one of those Rubbermaid bins that I lined with foam. And there it sat in the corner of the observatory for 17 years. Seems time wins out over the preparations made.

I have cleaned the optics in my 6" f8 newt following the instructions in the Meade owner's manual. Running water, mild detergent solution, and then alcohol to prevent spotting. But I've never cleaned a corrector so I need to research that.

BTW I always wondered why the Meade LXD55 mount didn't come wtith hearing protectors?
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by StarBru »

I carefully cleaned my corrector, secondary, and primary on both my SN10's by blowing off loose dust using a combination of canned air and a photographer's air bulb without the brush attached. Then I used Zeiss liquid optics cleaner and Zeiss wipes and finished with a lens cloth often provided when buying eyeglasses or other optics. It worked really great but yours looks like it will need the same cleaning you gave your 6" f/8.

Lol, Meade motors are so loud my neighbors' dogs start barking! To be fair they bark whenever I am observing in my back yard without using the LXD55. No complaints from the neighbors yet.
Bruce