LX90 LNT Smartfinder module

Discuss Meade brand telescopes.
otaphil
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

LX90 LNT Smartfinder module

Post by otaphil »

Just coming back to astronomy after a long break. I've been sorting out my LX90, and unfortunately have found that the lens on the smartfinder has broken off. I did wonder about just replacing it with a red dot finder, but then realised the telescope also uses this unit to achieve level and find North. For the time being I have managed to repair the lens so the smartfinder can function again for the time being.
A couple of questions- I've found one offer for a replacement lens in Lexan from the USA, but with postage the cost is about £40 (postage is actually more than the lens cost, iirc) which seems incredibly steep. Does anyone know of another source for the lenses?
Second question - there is a 3.5mm jack socket on the 'back' side of the LNT unit. The manual makes no mention of it and internet searches have drawn a blank. Does anyone know what it's for? I'm hoping it will provide a power source for my illuminated reticle eyepiece, but don't want to plug it in and have something go pphhut!
Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer.

Clear skies!

Phil
Piet Le Roux South Africa
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: LX90 LNT Smartfinder module

Post by Piet Le Roux »

Good day Phil,
The 3.5 mm jack appears to be for the Meade Atomic Time Update Module (ATUM)
opplanet-meade-atomic-time-update-module-atum-07581.jpg
Main Equipment : Tele Vue 27mm Panoptic, 7&13mm Nagler, Big Barlow : 8" Meade LX90ACF with Meade 2.0" Enhanced Diagonal : Camera Fuji XT100
otaphil
Earth Ambassador

Post by otaphil »

Thanks for the response Piet,
As it has the GPS module as well, it's probably why no mention is made of that module; it would be a bit superfluous with GPS time updates as well. I shall definitely not be plugging my illuminated ep into it then

Clear skies!
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Piet Le Roux »

I think the LNT was developed before GPS was available to the public and the low frequency atomic time signals was the only way to sync time automatically although there were also the WWV time signals on shortwave but they were more complex to utilise......that brings back memories! As a teenager and novices radio ham I use to pickup these signals to calibrate my frequency, time and get the latest news on sunspots and solar wind conditions, that has a big influence on shortwave radio. Low frequency time signals have newer been available in the southern hemisphere and is not available everywhere in the northern hemisphere. I am surprised that your LX90 has both GPS and LNT, did you add one of them later?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WWV_(radio_station)
I got goosebumps listening to the audio file!
Main Equipment : Tele Vue 27mm Panoptic, 7&13mm Nagler, Big Barlow : 8" Meade LX90ACF with Meade 2.0" Enhanced Diagonal : Camera Fuji XT100
otaphil
Earth Ambassador

Post by otaphil »

Piet Le Roux wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 8:12 am ...I am surprised that your LX90 has both GPS and LNT, did you add one of them later?...
It's as it came Piet. It is one of the first LX90 GPS, so perhaps that's why it has both? I see that they now come with GPS and just a red dot finder instead of the LNT Smartfinder. Not sure if that means it no longer has LNT?
I know little about the atomic clocks, other than having several clocks in the house that receive their timings from the UK's NPL in Cumbria, about an hours drive from where I live.
Thanks again for your help :text-thankyouyellow:

Clear skies.

Phil
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Piet Le Roux »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthorn_Radio_Station
A lot of people are getting excited about the few watts of RF power coming from 5G towers.....the VLF transmitter near you has output power of 550 kilowatts!