New User Need Help with StarNavigator 90

Discuss Meade brand telescopes.
mgedit
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

New User Need Help with StarNavigator 90

Post by mgedit »

I am a complete novice, and I just bought this scope used to introduce my Grandkids (and me) to the skies. This interest grew from a great learning holiday at the Northern Studies Centre in Churchill, Manitoba.

So in any case, I bought the scope from a guy who told me it was working as it should (and was only used a couple of times), but that the batteries had leaked and the battery compartment would need cleaning. After cleaning all contacts, and installing new batteries in the scope (8 AA for power, and a watch battery in body of mount) I am getting no power to unit. The battery pack is outputting power fine, but the indicator light is not coming on. On further investigation, I noticed that someone had done a horrible job of soldering on the switch portion of the board.

I want to try to clean up that soldering job ... the contacts are joined with a big glob of solder. Ideally, it would be nice to get at the board to do the work, but I don't see how to disassemble the mount. I'm thinking there are screws below the pads, but don't want to start at that if I'm heading in the wrong direction.

At this point I'm looking for suggestions before going any further.

Cheers, Mike

Hopefully this link will work to pictures:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ePRYGw5RBJU3V1wz8
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Re: New User Need Help with StarNavigator 90

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Hello and welcome to the forums :)

Check out this site: http://www.weasner.com/etx/menu.html
It is mostly for the ETX telescope line but there is information on some of the other Meade series as well.
Hopefully some of our members with Meade experience will be along to help you out.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
mgedit
Earth Ambassador

Re: New User Need Help with StarNavigator 90

Post by mgedit »

Thanks. Will check that out.