Balancing the LX90

Discuss Meade brand telescopes.
Piet Le Roux South Africa
Jupiter Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Balancing the LX90

Post by Piet Le Roux »

I am working towards getting into AP with my 8" LX90ACF in 2020 and one of the steps to making this happen is getting it balanced . There is a weight kit available but the price is a bit high, if you can get one. The other problem is that with the Meade weight kit you cannot use a flexible wrap around dew shield you have to use the Meade one that attaches with screws, also very expensive and hard to get. My answer to the problem is to attache a piece of heavy duty stick on velcro to the OTA and then got a collection of stick-on lead weights, the type that they use at tire shops to balance wheels, the 50 gram weights are for trucks, I had to experiment to find the best place to mount them and I found the Meade OTA to be heavier on the focuser side and not the spotting scope side as I had thought. So I had to mount them off centre, something the weight kit cannot do! With the velcro it is easy to attach and to remove the weights again. I use some of the same weights on the dew shield when I attache it.
Meadebalance 001s.jpg
It took about 690 grams to balance it with the camera mounted.
Main Equipment : Tele Vue 27mm Panoptic, 7&13mm Nagler, Big Barlow : 8" Meade LX90ACF with Meade 2.0" Enhanced Diagonal : Camera Fuji XT100
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Balancing the LX90

Post by JayTee »

Hi Piet,

I followed the directions for balancing my CPC1100 found on the Starizona website. Go here and scroll down to Balancing a Fork-Mounted Telescope: https://starizona.com/tutorial/balancing-for-imaging/

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Piet Le Roux South Africa
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Piet Le Roux »

Thanks for the link JayTee. I have achieved all that they have recommended and more. I must say the double weight kit from Celestron is an improvement over the single one from Meade but they are both lacking in the near horizontal position when you are facing your polar home position. The Meade is definitely heavy on the focuser side and if you loosen the Ra clutch, in this position, it rotated. My goal was to get it to be balanced in all possible positions and I think I have achieved that at very low costs. The advantage of using velcro and lead weights is that you could attache them anywhere that you need to without damaging your OTA.
Last edited by Piet Le Roux on Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Main Equipment : Tele Vue 27mm Panoptic, 7&13mm Nagler, Big Barlow : 8" Meade LX90ACF with Meade 2.0" Enhanced Diagonal : Camera Fuji XT100
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

An interesting modification, I hope it works well for you.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people