Mystery OTA

Discuss Meade brand telescopes.
Indytom
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

Mystery OTA

Post by Indytom »

I am really hoping someone here can shed some like on this particular scope. I just recently picked up an8” Meade SCT at the swap meet during the Almost Heaven Star Party, I am trying to find out more about it. Like I said, its 8”, its a blue tube, and there is a sticker on the side that says LX90. But it is not like any LX90 I can find online. To begin, it came with a dovetail, and no signs of ever being fork mounted. There is nothing after the LX90 on the label. There is a paper sticker on the tube that is partially covered but the dovetail that appears to have the year 2003 on it, but that is the only other marking I can find.
Whatever it is, I am pretty happy with it. When I got it the corrector plate was filthy, but once I got that cleaned, the views through it are very nice.
Clear Skies,

Tom

Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Mystery OTA

Post by Thefatkitty »

Hi Tom, sounds like a good find! Can you post a picture of it? I'm sure someone on here would know :D

Glad you're enjoying the views and all the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Oh yeah, and Solar Cycle 25 :D
smeyer8015
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by smeyer8015 »

Celestron Classic 8, Old Sears 60mm f/15 refractor, Old Edmund Scientific 6 inch F/8 newt, GSO 2" Diag, ES 30mm/70, ES 25mm/70, Orion 32 Super Plossl, Mead 24mm MA,
X-Cel LX 18mm, Luminos 15mm, F/6.3 reducer, Luminos 2.5x barlow, Telrad, Celestron 9x50 RACI, DIY Baader Solar Filter, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Bresser EXOS-2 Goto, Revolution Imager R1

No trees were killed in the sending of this post. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
Indytom
Earth Ambassador

Post by Indytom »

Ok, here are some pictures of the OTA in question. You can see the sticker I mentioned sticking out from under the telrad mount that someone else had already attached before I got it..

Clear Skies,

Tom

Indytom
Earth Ambassador

Post by Indytom »

Thank you for this link. I am pretty sure I have seen this document before, but because I have never owned an SCT before, it wasn't important. The section on the history of the LX90 was a very cool read. it seems that the LX90 was introduced in 2000, and was always sold as a fork mounted scope. This one must have spent some time on a fork even if there is no sign it was ever mounted that way. And it seems that $200 was a pretty fair price for the OTA alone. Thanks again for the help.
Clear Skies,

Tom

Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Good find, welcome to the SCT club! :D
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 584

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

NIce scope and a good pick-up. Enjoy!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N