Updating an c1990 LX200

Discuss Meade brand telescopes.
bscloutier
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

Updating an c1990 LX200

Post by bscloutier »

So I have a 12" LX200 from the early 1990s. I had once updated the chipset back then. It has been stored for over a decade. Now that I want to get it back out and up and running, I am curious if there is a current update for it? I have half the mind to design a new board for it. So when I had bought this scope we all were on Compuserve!
JCINGA
Moon Ambassador

Re: Updating an c1990 LX200

Post by JCINGA »

I have either the same or one model after as you - 12" classic LX200

I cannot give any feedback as it relates to electronics except cleaning all contacts (on wire connections) with cleaner/alcohol and checking all wiring on the boards as I was cleaning/taking apart with the soldering iron on the ready.

I can attest to the scope needing a good service as it relates to the gears and their lubricant.

I pulled mine apart (and I'm about to redo it with Pete's red grease - used white lithium first round and read thats not great for longevity) and cleaned the graphite grease from all gears as it was caking up and causing stuttering and slowed slewing.

This did wonders for mine as over decades that stuff degrades considerably.

I installed bobs knobs on the secondary, Peterson engineering EZ focusing kit, cleaned the corrector, diagonal mirror (the main was still in relatively clean shape), tripod and cleaned and waxed (auto wax) the exterior.

Looking and working very good

I also got a new power block as those can start to send wonky signals and irregular current to the main board.

Oh and I did swap out the fuse and CR2320 battery

Good luck!
Meade LX200 12" CLS, Orion XT8i, Meade ETX70
Televue: 17mmNAG, 55mmPL, 2Xpowermate, Ex.SCi 4.7mm, Orion Strat 13mm
Baader 2" Moon&sky, Orion 2" 13%
Meade giant field tripod, bobs knobs, peterson focuser, Telerad
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

I would agree that if the telescope has been sitting for so many years a thorough re-greasing should be done on it.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
bscloutier
Earth Ambassador

Post by bscloutier »

Yeah, I had figured that I would have to give it some TLC before it'll be back in prime shape. New grease sounds like a good recommendation.
robf
Earth Ambassador

Post by robf »

This is an old thread, but if anyone reads this, if you have not replaced the under-spec'd 25V tantalum capacitors in the LX200, and are using the supplied 18V DC power supply, you will want to replace those caps asap since they fail hard and can damage other parts of the scope. 35V is the minimum voltage rating you should replace with.