Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
oscaletrains
Articles: 0

Re: Going to need to know about the Meade ETX80

Post by oscaletrains »

Graeme1858 wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:00 pm No, but your avatar is very cute!

Are you thinking about buying one?

Regards

Graeme
All ready did. My boy expressed interest in hooking his camera to his telescope and I didn't think it'd be very easy to attach it to a Onesky. I am interested in knowing what upgrades this ETX might require.
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

I once had the ETX70
Not bad as I recall :)
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

Piet Le Roux South Africa
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Piet Le Roux »

oscaletrains wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:30 pm Anyone have or use this?
I have a ETX90 so similar mount but not a refractor telescope. It has the same controller. The type of controller would depend if you taking abould the old ETX or the new Observer ETX, the old had the Autostar and the observer is equipped with a Audiostar controller. I have both types of controllers so any questions about the controllers I could possibly help you.
Main Equipment : Tele Vue 27mm Panoptic, 7&13mm Nagler, Big Barlow : 8" Meade LX90ACF with Meade 2.0" Enhanced Diagonal : Camera Fuji XT100
Piet Le Roux South Africa
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Piet Le Roux »

Main Equipment : Tele Vue 27mm Panoptic, 7&13mm Nagler, Big Barlow : 8" Meade LX90ACF with Meade 2.0" Enhanced Diagonal : Camera Fuji XT100
oscaletrains

Post by oscaletrains »

That's the one. Hope they have decent directions.
StarBru United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by StarBru »

I own the ETX90-EC with #497 Autostar f/13.9 and the Meade Adventure Scope 80mm f/5.

At a dark sky site, the 80mm f/5 optics will stun you! It doesn't do too badly in backyard either. Just realize that high magnification is not it's strong suit. You really shouldn't try for more than 80x to 100x magnification with the 80mm, and I actually prefer the magnification for that scope at about 44x. The Mak can take more magnification, but I personally have not used it at more than about 139x. The Mak has very sharp, magnified views, making it perfect for viewing the planets and the moon, not so much for the brighter DSO's.

I have not had a lot of success with the go to mount of the ETX, but I think the faster optics of the ETX80 will make it easier to find objects than my ETX90 Mak because of the wide-field views, therefore making it easier to align the go to mount and eventually find objects with it. There are some good videos on youtube about aligning the ETX mount and about finding the HOME position, which can be confusing at times, maybe the newer ETX Observer series has better instructions, etc. I don't know.

The 80mm is a refractor just like the ETX80, but does not have the go to mount. It essentially has the same optics as the ETX80. The ETX80 is a wide-field fast refractor as opposed to the ETX90, which is of a slower focal ratio Maksutov Cassegrain (Mak) design. I prefer the wide-field views of the 80mm over the tighter, more magnified views of the ETX90, and the faster optics of the ETX80 is in my opinion, is more suited for the beginner. The 80mm refractor is not as powerful in magnification as the Mak, so it is suited better for nebulae such as the Orion Nebula and other deep sky objects (DSO's). However, I still enjoy the less magnified views of the moon and planets with the 80mm and the chromatic abberation (CA) does not bother me.
Just my :twocents:
Bruce

Refractors: Meade AR-5 127mm f/9.3, Meade ST-80 f/5 and Meade 60mm f/12, Jason 60mm f/15 #313, Jason 60mm f/12 #306 S7, Bushnell Sky Chief III 60mm f/15.
Reflectors/Catadioptrics: Meade 10" F/4 Schmidt-Newtonian, Galileo 120mm f/8.3 Newtonian, Meade 2045D 4" f/10 SCT, Meade ETX-90EC f/13.8 & Sarblue 60mm f/12.5 Maksutov-Cassegrains.
Mounts: Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro & Meade LXD55 Equatorial mounts, ES Twilight II and Meade 2102 ALT/AZ mounts, a modified 10" SkyQuest Dobsonian mount, various 60mm EQ mounts.
Misc: Celestron 20x80mm binoculars, Revolution II Imager/accessories, & lots of optical accessories/eyepieces.
Projects: 8" f/2.9 and 65mm f/10 reflectors, Dobson-style binocular mirror mount.
oscaletrains

Post by oscaletrains »

StarBru wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:57 pm I own the ETX90-EC with #497 Autostar f/13.9 and the Meade Adventure Scope 80mm f/5.

At a dark sky site, the 80mm f/5 optics will stun you! It doesn't do too badly in backyard either. Just realize that high magnification is not it's strong suit. You really shouldn't try for more than 80x to 100x magnification with the 80mm, and I actually prefer the magnification for that scope at about 44x. The Mak can take more magnification, but I personally have not used it at more than about 139x. The Mak has very sharp, magnified views, making it perfect for viewing the planets and the moon, not so much for the brighter DSO's.

I have not had a lot of success with the go to mount of the ETX, but I think the faster optics of the ETX80 will make it easier to find objects than my ETX90 Mak because of the wide-field views, therefore making it easier to align the go to mount and eventually find objects with it. There are some good videos on youtube about aligning the ETX mount and about finding the HOME position, which can be confusing at times, maybe the newer ETX Observer series has better instructions, etc. I don't know.

The 80mm is a refractor just like the ETX80, but does not have the go to mount. It essentially has the same optics as the ETX80. The ETX80 is a wide-field fast refractor as opposed to the ETX90, which is of a slower focal ratio Maksutov Cassegrain (Mak) design. I prefer the wide-field views of the 80mm over the tighter, more magnified views of the ETX90, and the faster optics of the ETX80 is in my opinion, is more suited for the beginner. The 80mm refractor is not as powerful in magnification as the Mak, so it is suited better for nebulae such as the Orion Nebula and other deep sky objects (DSO's). However, I still enjoy the less magnified views of the moon and planets with the 80mm and the chromatic abberation (CA) does not bother me.
Just my :twocents:
Thanks for the info, after he has a chance to use it awhile I might have more questions. Just getting in to the whole thing, I am betting he will be happy with whatever photos he can get from it for awhile.
StarBru United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by StarBru »

You are going to need this Meade 64ST adapter along with a T-Mount specific to your son's camera if you don't have these items already:
https://www.meade.com/meade-64st-adapte ... odels.html
Bruce

Refractors: Meade AR-5 127mm f/9.3, Meade ST-80 f/5 and Meade 60mm f/12, Jason 60mm f/15 #313, Jason 60mm f/12 #306 S7, Bushnell Sky Chief III 60mm f/15.
Reflectors/Catadioptrics: Meade 10" F/4 Schmidt-Newtonian, Galileo 120mm f/8.3 Newtonian, Meade 2045D 4" f/10 SCT, Meade ETX-90EC f/13.8 & Sarblue 60mm f/12.5 Maksutov-Cassegrains.
Mounts: Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro & Meade LXD55 Equatorial mounts, ES Twilight II and Meade 2102 ALT/AZ mounts, a modified 10" SkyQuest Dobsonian mount, various 60mm EQ mounts.
Misc: Celestron 20x80mm binoculars, Revolution II Imager/accessories, & lots of optical accessories/eyepieces.
Projects: 8" f/2.9 and 65mm f/10 reflectors, Dobson-style binocular mirror mount.
oscaletrains

Post by oscaletrains »

StarBru wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:40 pm You are going to need this Meade 64ST adapter along with a T-Mount specific to your son's camera if you don't have these items already:
https://www.meade.com/meade-64st-adapte ... odels.html
Thanks. I knew about the T mount and ordered it but did not know about the adapter.