Caldwell 103 the Tarantula Nebula

Post your Remote Telescope images here and join in the discussion.
Ben Cartwright SASS
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Caldwell 103 the Tarantula Nebula

Post by Ben Cartwright SASS »

The Tarantula Nebula Caldwell 103 In the Tarantula Nebula, the massive stars are carving deep cavities in the surrounding material by unleashing a torrent of ultraviolet light, which is winnowing away at the enveloping hydrogen gas cloud in which the stars were born. Besides sculpting the gaseous terrain, the brilliant stars may be triggering a new generation of offspring. When the ultraviolet radiation hits dense walls of gas, it creates shocks, which may generate a new wave of star birth. In fact, scientists believe that a shock wave from a nearby supernova may have caused the cloud of gas and dust that the Sun formed within to collapse, leading to the creation of our solar system. If correct, that means we owe our lives to the violent death of a massive neighboring star.

Taken by me using the SLOOH Chile 17" scope and processed in Pixinsight This is about my 5th image using Pixinsight, I am trying to learn it, it has a steep learning curve. I am using a script written for the slooh scopes and then adjusting with the histogram - haven't learned other tools yet. Finally finished in Lightroom, PhotoshopCC and AI Denoise

I might not always be right but I am never wrong, once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken...

Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #59
Free advice is seldom cheap

"Sometimes having is not so pleasing as wanting, it's not logical but it is true"
Commander Spock

Canon DSLR's R7, R6II, 5D, 7D2, 90D 21 lenses incl. 100-400L mk ii, 70-200L mk iii f/2.8, RF600/11
Lunt LS50 DS, LS80 DS, Lunt 102ED, Stellarvue SV80 APO, Orion ST80, 127 MAK, Skywatcher Evostar 120ED, 102 MAK, Celestron 8" Edge HD, 102AZ
Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro
ZWO ASI071MC-cool, ASI174mm, ASI174mm-cool, ASI178MC-cool, ASI290 mini, ASI120MM-S, ASI120MC Revolution Player One mm (178 chip)