The Remote Telescope/Observatory Thread

Post your Remote Telescope images here and join in the discussion.
Ben Cartwright SASS
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: The Remote Telescope/Observatory Thread

Post by Ben Cartwright SASS »

pakarinen wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:24 pm
Ben Cartwright SASS wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:54 pm One thing that is unique about SLOOH is that you can watch your imaging run is real time, you get to watch the image develop on your screen as the scope gathers more light.
I've been surfing around the Insight site and while Insight looks more straightforward to me than Slooh, watching the image integration could be interesting, assuming I could stay awake. :lol:

I don't think iTelescope, Sky West, or Telescope Live are a good match for me.
Unless you go to bed around 3 in the afternoon, you will be awake. The Canary Islands are 5 hours ahead of us, the domes open at 3 pm, then Chile opens about 8 pm, the opposite in the summer also they are planning an observatory, we hope, in Abu Dubai, which would mean 22 hours of scope time. You don't have to be imaging you can just watch missions develop

The other sites make the process easier as they give really nice subs but you pay for that...
I might not always be right but I am never wrong, once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken...

Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #59
Free advice is seldom cheap

"Sometimes having is not so pleasing as wanting, it's not logical but it is true"
Commander Spock

Canon DSLR's R7, R6II, 5D, 7D2, 90D 21 lenses incl. 100-400L mk ii, 70-200L mk iii f/2.8, RF600/11
Lunt LS50 DS, LS80 DS, Lunt 102ED, Stellarvue SV80 APO, Orion ST80, 127 MAK, Skywatcher Evostar 120ED, 102 MAK, Celestron 8" Edge HD, 102AZ
Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro
ZWO ASI071MC-cool, ASI174mm, ASI174mm-cool, ASI178MC-cool, ASI290 mini, ASI120MM-S, ASI120MC Revolution Player One mm (178 chip)
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Ben Cartwright SASS wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:32 pm Unless you go to bed around 3 in the afternoon, you will be awake.
Nap time! :grin:
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s

TSS Awards Badges

Re: The unofficial Remote Telescope/Observatory Thread

Post by pakarinen »

Ben Cartwright SASS wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:54 pm
With Slooh [...] I can watch the image as it develops on the screen, can even see if it gets a plane or satellite or what is aggravating wind blown stars.
After some more digging, it seems to me the Slooh website is lacking a lot of info. Maybe there's a lot more available if you subscribe. Anyway, I found this on remoteastrophotography.com:

All of your images and FITS files are stored in the ‘My Photo Hub’ area. This area is subdivided into ‘Photo Roll’ which are images you take from the telescopes live as you watch the feed, ‘Observations’ which are your observations you share with others on Slooh, ‘Missions’ which is primarily where your images and FITS files are stored, and ‘Galleries’ where your collections of images are stored.

So Photo Roll is where you watch your images in realtime?
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Ben Cartwright SASS
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

No, that is where they go after they are taken. Here is a screen shot of the main observing page, I will describe it in detail below the image

This page is only available to members.
at the very top are 4 icons, the important one is the one that looks like a dome observatory, when you click on it you set the Mission Setup and the My Photos tabs.
the Mission setup allows you to schedule any of the slooh scopes for up to 7 days in advance. There are two types of missions (imaging runs) you can do, Standard - where you click on and attach yourself to someone elses mission - it is as if you scheduled it yourself but with less customizing available, i.e. you get the settings they set for their run. The other is ADVANCED, As an apprentice you can schedule a scope using 4 different catalogs (Messier NGC Caldwell and Bennet), or by Coordinates (RA/DEC) anywhere in the visible sky, Constellation (best objects in that constellation) or the SLOOH 1000 - 1000 of the best objects in the sky. You then have 8 different processing schemes you can use to adjust the PNG you get, you also get the RAW FITS files. As an ASTRONOMER level you get 5 of the advanced missions at a time and get to use 15 different catalogs including the IC, Herschell, the entire SAO catalog and then you have additional processing schemes that include only Lums with two different exposure times.

This screen shows all the Slooh scopes across the top bar they list all the Slooh scopes that you can schedule missions on. However Solar is only for observing not scheduling. When you click on any of the buttons it will take you to that scope and display a dark blue bar showing which scope is active - in this instance it is Solar. If the scope is not active you will get 3 pictures of the observatory including a skycam.

below the scope bar is the CAMERA icon and 6 blank boxes, if you click the camera it will snap a picture of what ever the scope is looking at and put it in the boxes as well as your photo roll. SOLAR ONLY gives PNG's the rest will give you PNG's and FITS files the next day although PNG's are available as soon as the mission ends and you can download them anytime. There is no limit as to how many snaps you can do you could snap missions from every mission on every scope all night long and get a ton of data.

the large box with the sun is where you watch the missions develop and you can see satellite trails appear, ouch, or the wind affect the scope, the first image is a luminence and you can see it start to show up and darken.
to the right of the sun is the name of the scope and then Live/Conditions/scope Live is what is actually showing on the screen and conditions is the temp wind humidity etc and scope is what the scope has just done, like finished red filter etc.

This is the screen where you watch missions in real time.

any other questions feel free to ask them.
I might not always be right but I am never wrong, once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken...

"Sometimes having is not so pleasing as wanting, it's not logical but it is true"
Commander Spock

Canon DSLR's R7, R6II, 5D, 7D2, 90D 21 lenses incl. 100-400L mk ii, 70-200L mk iii f/2.8, RF600/11
Lunt LS50 DS, LS80 DS, Lunt 102ED, Stellarvue SV80 APO, Orion ST80, 127 MAK, Skywatcher Evostar 120ED, 102 MAK, Celestron 8" Edge HD, 102AZ
Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro
ZWO ASI071MC-cool, ASI174mm, ASI174mm-cool, ASI178MC-cool, ASI290 mini, ASI120MM-S, ASI120MC Revolution Player One mm (178 chip)

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Excellent. Very informative, thanks.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

I just downloaded a free 230-page (!) Slooh's users guide. I suspect it has more content than just how to reserve a Slooh scope. Should be an interesting read.
Ben Cartwright SASS
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I have it and it is good

Commander Spock

Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro
Groovy2
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Groovy2 »

HI
your pictures are Great - Really Impressive -

Remote access Kit is a good idea - I would do it -

How much Online data used to make a photo like that ? ?

Does company offer a simple shot setup for beginners ?
so that person gets a ok photo easily ish ?

Renting gear makes since for a lot of people - me included -
Im doing small RV travel life and things need to be tiny -

I am a member of a Hacker Space - similar ish idea -
for a fee I get use of complete work space with many tools - its Nice

Thanks for writing about this - Jay

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Well, I've become a SLOOHvian. Bought the Apprentice membership so I'm only out $100 if it turns out no bueno.

With garbage observing conditions most of this summer, I reckon I might as well try some remote imaging. My other thought was to maybe use SLOOH in the summer when the skeeters, extended daylight, and humidity are a hassle and then do visual the rest of the year. Plus I've been chasing my tail looking at ZWOs versus a DSLR versus an Atik video cam, EAA versus AP versus whatever. So I've decided not to buy any of them. 😜
Ben Cartwright SASS
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Welcome SLOOHvian's I started with the Apprentice but after a couple days went with the Astronomer, more catalogs, coordinate missions and 5 advanced missions at a time. This spring I even got a second login, jpadell2019 and Solarhead_2021 so I can do 10 at once, useful when trying to get a lot of subs on a single object.

Commander Spock

Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro
Ben Cartwright SASS
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Groovy2 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:12 pm
How much Online data used to make a photo like that ? ?

Does company offer a simple shot setup for beginners ?
so that person gets a ok photo easily ish ?

Thanks for writing about this - Jay
They call their imaging runs "missions" and depending on the object and the seeing conditions you can get a nice image from a single mission with a Light, Red, Green, and Blue filters. Or it can take many missions, the most I have done is 25 missions with 100 subs.

They do make it easy for beginners, with every mission you can download the PNG file which is a finished image from your imaging run. Many of then are really nice. The quality depends on the processing scheme you use when you run the mission. for example if you say process as a faint galaxy rather than a globular cluster when you take the images you will get a different result than if you said process as a globular, They have a help area and a forum where they discuss processing presets.

Slooh and other remote scopes are not really discussed in forums like this one or CN as many people look on them as cheating.

Oh BTW they also have a Lunt 60mm HA solar scope where you can watch live feeds of the sun and capture images of it.

They have 5 scopes in the Canary Islands and 3 in Chile any of which you can schedule time on.

here are some of the PNG's that were captured by my wife with a single mission when she was trying it out these were all 1 5 minute mission, amazing what really dark skies can do
Attachments
M81 Bodes Galaxy.jpg
m51_20190623_215804_0_ir7ptn_lrgb.png
m5_20200624_211358_3_u9eyqv_lrgb.png
m8_20190623_002222_0_oyhtdb_lrgb.png

Commander Spock

Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

I'm more interested in the pseudo-EAA option right now, assuming I can log on when my "mission" (odd choice of words IMO) is running. That could be great if / when I have to go back to the office in person. :shifty:

But that could change. I'll probably shoot a random cluster to get my feet wet and decide where to go from there.
Ben Cartwright SASS
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Yes it is EAA as when the scope swings to the target the screen is black and slowly you see the stars appear and the object appear. There is also an info screen that tells you what it is doing, i.e. taken lum, taking Red etc

Commander Spock

Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

What does the suffix "m" on a file name mean? Merged? As in lrgb merged?

I also have some with "cal". I assume that's calibration? Tnx.

I'm started to see the advantage of upgrading my membership - being able to run only one "advanced mission" at a time is a bit limiting, especially since I like to schedule by scope (for now).
Ben Cartwright SASS
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

The "m" is on images from the 11" astrograph only to my knowledge, it is a single from a color camera

the "cal" are the fits files that have been calibrated with Flats and Darks etc

Also with the high level you get more catalogs and more processing presets including lums only missions

Commander Spock

Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Ben Cartwright SASS wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:52 pm [...] lums only missions
Tempting!

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Well, I think I'm being assimilated. Having played around for a couple weeks now, I took out my 80mm last night for some visual observing. It was nice, but there's no way I can get views at home visually like I can with the remote scopes. And moving to darker skies is not going to happen any time soon, so...

Maybe I should stick to doubles and variables at home, dunno.
Ben Cartwright SASS
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Don't forget globular and open clusters from at home!!

Also the SUN! My poor skies and limited views are why I do solar

Commander Spock

Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Globs at home are not that great visually, even the big, "bright" ones, but OCs are better.