Change your eye pupil size voluntarily?

Discussion of optical systems and their characteristics.
AntennaGuy
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

Change your eye pupil size voluntarily?

Post by AntennaGuy »

I wonder if this might be a useful skill for visual astronomers to master?
"Man Can Change His Pupil Size on Demand, Something Scientists Thought Was Impossible"
https://www.sciencealert.com/this-germa ... on-command
(as linked from Instapundit.)
:eye:
* Meade 323 refractor on a manual equatorial mount.
* Celestron C6 SCT on a Twilight 1 Alt-Az mount
* Losmandy GM8G mount.
* Vixen VMC260L.
Don Pensack
Moon Ambassador

Re: Change your eye pupil size voluntarily?

Post by Don Pensack »

This is easy to accomplish with a light at night that causes the pupil to shrink.
You voluntarily turn the light on.
I'm just saying......

Seriously, though, the dilation of the pupil is part of the autonomic nervous system, so beyond your conscious control.
Astonomer since 1963
Currently using a 12.5" dob and a 4" apo refractor
KingNothing13

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KingNothing13 »

It would be nice to be dark adapted in a matter of seconds.....
-- Brett

Scope: Apertura AD10 with Nexus II with 8192/716000 Step Encoders
EPs: ES 82* 18mm, 11mm, 6.7mm; GSO 30mm
Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars
List Counts: Messier: 75; Herschel 400: 30; Caldwell: 12; AL Carbon Star List: 16
Brett's Carbon Star Hunt

AntennaGuy
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by AntennaGuy »

KingNothing13 wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:11 pm It would be nice to be dark adapted in a matter of seconds.....
Yes. I think most of that dark adaption occurs in the retina, not the pupil. But I wouldn't mind having some ability to consciously control my pupils. I mean, not that it could ever compare to being able to wiggle one's ears...
:shock:
* Meade 323 refractor on a manual equatorial mount.
* Celestron C6 SCT on a Twilight 1 Alt-Az mount
* Losmandy GM8G mount.
* Vixen VMC260L.
notFritzArgelander
Infinity and Beyond Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Well, now I'm wondering if any among us who might be ophthalmologists get naughty with those dilating drops?
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker III, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5, Orion Sirius EQG
Don Pensack
Moon Ambassador

Post by Don Pensack »

KingNothing13 wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:11 pm It would be nice to be dark adapted in a matter of seconds.....
You do get dark adapted, where pupil size is concerned, in seconds.
But since 99% of dark adaptation occurs on the retina, not the pupil, it still takes 30-45 minutes to fully dark adapt, and some improvement is noted after 2 hours.
Astonomer since 1963
Don Pensack
Moon Ambassador

Post by Don Pensack »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:49 pm Well, now I'm wondering if any among us who might be ophthalmologists get naughty with those dilating drops?
Those drops affect the small muscles that control the lens as well, so acuteness of vision goes down with their use.
But pupil size isn't really important in dark adaptation.
An 8mm pupil admits 4x the light of a 4mm pupil. Ooh, 4X.
But dark adaptation on the retina has been measured to be up to a 90,000x improvement in light sensitivity in a lab setting.
Even if it's only a third of that in the field, you can see that pupil diameter is NOT where dark adaptation occurs.
Astonomer since 1963
notFritzArgelander

TSS Awards Badges

Don Pensack wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:14 pm
notFritzArgelander wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:49 pm Well, now I'm wondering if any among us who might be ophthalmologists get naughty with those dilating drops?
Those drops affect the small muscles that control the lens as well, so acuteness of vision goes down with their use.
But pupil size isn't really important in dark adaptation.
An 8mm pupil admits 4x the light of a 4mm pupil. Ooh, 4X.
But dark adaptation on the retina has been measured to be up to a 90,000x improvement in light sensitivity in a lab setting.
Even if it's only a third of that in the field, you can see that pupil diameter is NOT where dark adaptation occurs.
Yes, I know that dark adaptation happens at the retina. My question was whether anyone heard of folks who abused the drops. People do wacky things. I’ve heard of folks hyperventilating and overcaffeinating in an effort to squeeze a little more out of the retina, for instance.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker III, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5, Orion Sirius EQG
Don Pensack
Moon Ambassador

Post by Don Pensack »

I have read of people who used the dilating drops in the field and found their vision blurred.
They didn't get back their acuity for many hours after the drops were administered.
And, of course, since we all have terrible astigmatism in the eye when the pupils are dilated to large sizes, even non-glasses wearers would find their vision wonky, needing astigmatism correction and possibly spherical as well.
Astonomer since 1963
KingNothing13

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KingNothing13 »

Don Pensack wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:21 pm I have read of people who used the dilating drops in the field and found their vision blurred.
They didn't get back their acuity for many hours after the drops were administered.
And, of course, since we all have terrible astigmatism in the eye when the pupils are dilated to large sizes, even non-glasses wearers would find their vision wonky, needing astigmatism correction and possibly spherical as well.
Well, that doesn't sounds like fun at all.
-- Brett

Scope: Apertura AD10 with Nexus II with 8192/716000 Step Encoders
EPs: ES 82* 18mm, 11mm, 6.7mm; GSO 30mm
Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars
List Counts: Messier: 75; Herschel 400: 30; Caldwell: 12; AL Carbon Star List: 16
Brett's Carbon Star Hunt

John Fitzgerald
Mars Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Fitzgerald »

AntennaGuy wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:46 pm
<snip> I mean, not that it could ever compare to being able to wiggle one's ears...
Hey, I can do that rather well. :shhh:
notFritzArgelander

TSS Awards Badges

John Fitzgerald wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:50 pm
AntennaGuy wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:46 pm
<snip> I mean, not that it could ever compare to being able to wiggle one's ears...
Hey, I can do that rather well. :shhh:
Hey! Me too. I also have a devastating one-raised-eyebrow that has been described as "the basilisk's glance" by literary friends.

Return to “General Optics”