The Conrady's Chromatic Condition ...

Discussion of optical systems and their characteristics.
j.gardavsky Germany
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

The Conrady's Chromatic Condition ...

Post by j.gardavsky »

... a historical math approach, not only of interest for our not Fritz Argelander.

From the historical perspective,
there is a downloadable article on the Conrady's Chromatic Condition (in the optical system with the lenses)
in the JRNBS, Vol. 52, No. 1, January 1954, by Donald P. Feder
available as *.pdf
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... P-I2qKx5bw

Happy reading on the rainy days,
JG
6" F/5 Sky-Watcher achro, 2" BBHS Star Diagonal, 2" zenith prism, 1.25" Takahashi prism
Leica 82mm APO Televid
Eyepieces: Docter UWA; Leica B WW and WW Asph. Zoom; Leica HC Plan S and L, monocentric; Pentax SMC XW, O-, XO; Tak MC O, Carl Zeiss B WW, and Pl, E-Pl, S-Pl, W-Pl;
Swarovski SW; Baader Symmetric Diascope Edition; Nikon NAV SW, ; TMB supermonocentric; Rodenstock; Vixen HR; TV Delos
Filters: Astrodon, Astronomik, Baader, Balzers, Zeiss West and East, Lumicon
Binoculars (7x42 up to 15x85): Docter Nobilem, Leica Ultravid, Nikon Astroluxe, Swarovski EL Swarovision; BA8 (Kunming Optical)
Don Pensack United States of America
Mars Ambassador

Re: The Conrady's Chromatic Condition ...

Post by Don Pensack »

CA-ratio-chart-achro.jpg
I usually look at several factors, such as those in this chart.
I used to own a 4" f/15 doublet refractor, which did not conform to the Conrady standard for absence of CA (f/20+), but did correspond to the Sidgwick standard (f/12+)
I could see no color at all at over 200x.
Many of today's doublets have so much color I call them "Jimi Hendrix" scopes ("Purple Haze").
Astronomer since 1963
Currently using a 12.5" dob and a 4" apo refractor
j.gardavsky Germany
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by j.gardavsky »

Hello Don,

and thank you for reminding the Conrady/Sidgwick matrix, which is very popular across The Pond, I mean in the U.S. and Canada.

There is a sort of conceptual problem with what the author(s) are calling the "CA index": f-ratio devided by the objective diameter (in inches).
This "CA index" smells to me like an inverse of truncated étendue. The truncation might have served to the purpose of getting the matrix quasi-diagonal.

Otherwise,
it is comprehensible by means of a trained intuition,
that the high étendue achromats (large aperture and high speed) will deliver more chromatic aberration
than the low étendue achromats (small aperture and low speed).

Another conceptual problem emerges with the "Visual Levels of Chromatic Aberration", on which I will comment later.

Best,
JG
6" F/5 Sky-Watcher achro, 2" BBHS Star Diagonal, 2" zenith prism, 1.25" Takahashi prism
Leica 82mm APO Televid
Eyepieces: Docter UWA; Leica B WW and WW Asph. Zoom; Leica HC Plan S and L, monocentric; Pentax SMC XW, O-, XO; Tak MC O, Carl Zeiss B WW, and Pl, E-Pl, S-Pl, W-Pl;
Swarovski SW; Baader Symmetric Diascope Edition; Nikon NAV SW, ; TMB supermonocentric; Rodenstock; Vixen HR; TV Delos
Binoculars (7x42 up to 15x85): Docter Nobilem, Leica Ultravid, Nikon Astroluxe, Swarovski EL Swarovision; BA8 (Kunming Optical)
Mars Ambassador

Post by Don Pensack »

JG,
Yes, it is more of a subjective scale and applies more to the older crown/flint objectives of 100 years ago than it does today in the era of FPL-53 and FCD100 glass.
There is math behind the CA index, however, in determining the amount of defocus at the spectral extremes.
A real examination has to be a lot more nuanced.
A more scholarly approach can be found here:
https://www.telescope-optics.net/refractor.htm
and in the pages that follow.
Astronomer since 1963
j.gardavsky Germany
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by j.gardavsky »

Hello Don,

I can easily decloak the matrix and put an explanation for the CA index, no problem, and with pleasure.
And I can return the matrix for other glass materials as well.

For the optics calculations, there are more modern (in terms of the mathematics) references than the telescopeѲptics.net.
This should be somehow updated for our forums.

Best,
JG
Leica 82mm APO Televid
Mars Ambassador

Post by Don Pensack »

True.
Vlad's work is a bit dated for the most recent developments in refractor lenses and glass types.
Fortunately, progress never stands still.
When describing CA as visible or invisible, however, that becomes a subjective evaluation.
And it also depends on circumstances.
In night use, I never saw CA in my 102mm f/15 refractor (CA of 3.75), but in the daylight I did.
I presume the activation of the cones in my eyes made me more sensitive to deep violet as well as orange and red, colors essentially invisible at night with scotopic vision.
And there is more than CA Index involved with more complex lenses.
My f/7 triplet is CA-free when in exact focus, but displays color on either side of focus.
In contrast. an f/5.4 quadruplet lens scope I once owned displayed no color when slightly out of focus on either side.
Optical lens configurations on modern scopes are all over the place in terms of their color correction.

Personally, I prefer scopes with mirrors, but, even there, lens assemblies are added to provide coma correction and magnification, so we don't escape from the issue of CA.
Astronomer since 1963
WilliamPaolini United States of America
Saturn Ambassador
Articles: 9

TSS Awards Badges

Post by WilliamPaolini »

I look at that chart as less of a visible color chart and more of a chart describing how picky an observer is :lol:
-Bill

U.S.A.F. Veteran - Visual Amateur Astronomer since 1966 - Fully Retired since 2019
8" f/5 Newt - Lunt 152 f/7.9 - TSA 102 f/8 - Vixen 81S f/7.7 - P.S.T. - Pentax 65ED II - Nikon 12x50 AE
Pentax XWs - Baader Morpheus - Takahashi LEs - Edmund RKEs - BST Starguiders - 6ZAO-II/5XO/4Abbe
PM and Email communications always welcomed
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

I do agree Bill, some people seem to be of the opinion that if a refractor shows any colour it needs to be condemed as unusable.
I thoroughly enjoy using my various achromats and have even been thinking of a Vixen A105M to add into the mix.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people