Processing Challenge 28 IC1805 The Heart Nebula HOO

Every month a new challenge!
Jockinireland Ireland
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Processing Challenge 28 IC1805 The Heart Nebula HOO

Post by Jockinireland »

This month sees something we have not, I think, done before - OSC data captured with a dual band filter to allow for either standard colour or HOO processing.

Its my own data this time and my original post can be found here to see what you have viewtopic.php?f=66&t=22007

In that post the data was stacked in PI and then the red and green channels extracted as Ha and Oiii

However, APP has special stacking algorithm's which it says produce better Ha and Oiii images than a straight extraction of the channels. Thinking it would be interesting to test that claim, I have provided 3 images from APP -one Ha, one Oiii and one Ha/Oiii colour each produced using the HA/Oiii algorithms.

I've also provided the original PI stack.

Capture details; SW80 ED (SW 0.85 reducer/flattener), ASI2600mc pro, 2" Optolong L-enhance 90 x 180s Gain 100, Offset 50, -10c (FL 510mm Picel size 3.76 micron)

KNOWN ISSUES WITH THE DATA

1. Something happened while I slept to knock the mount very slightly out of line - (cable snag, gear slip, local Tom-cat having a laugh????) I dont know. but its produced a very noticeable overlap top and bottom.
2. There is a big dustbunny on the lights to the right of the fish-head. These are on the lights but not my flats (which were done first thing in the morning) again I don't know what happened between flats and light but it was on another data set I collected that night. In that one it was just on background sky so I just clone stamped it out in the starless version. But in this one it covers detail and I had no ides for how to get rid of it - Do you? Anyway - its why there is no fishhead in my image :D

I've provided each file as 32 bit fits and xisf and 16 bit tiff for anyone using PS. If you want something else, PM me.

Data is here https://1drv.ms/u/s!Alj6NhuYfZtW73SPHnW ... v?e=NelArv

So Download what files you want and process in your software(s) of choice then post in this thread. The purpose of the APP Challenge is to share techniques so we can all learn and grow in our abilities so please describe your process steps and any special tricks you used to get your result. If you have been finding something difficult to do with this data - tell us and hopefully someone will be able to help.

Please consider submitting some data of your own for future challenges. Just send me PM and I'll take it from there.

Enjoy the challenge.

David
Scope: Skywatcher Evostar 80ED (SW 0.85 FR/FF) on a SW NEQ6Pro
Guiding; SW Evoguide 50ED, ASI 120mm mini
Meade 8" LX200 GPS on wedge (Guided with a cheapo 50mm guidescope and a ZWO ASI 120mm mini)
Sharpstar 61EDPH II (with dedicated 0.8 reducer) with wiliam Optics 32mm uniguide
Camera: ASI2600MC pro. QHY 163M with ZWO 7nm NB filters, Canon EOS700D astro mod
Secondary mount: Skywatcher StarAdventurer

My Astrobin https://www.astrobin.com/users/mackiedlm/
Larry 1969 United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Processing Challenge 28 IC1805 The Heart Nebula HOO

Post by Larry 1969 »

Thank you, David, for taking the time to convert all of them and for providing a nice data set to work with!

I'm afraid I didn't do your data much justice though. I loaded the Ha data as red and the Oiii as blue in StarTools. I didn't know what "Ha Color" was so I didn't use it... I'm used to processing OSC data so this was a real challenge for me. I gave it my "cookie cutter" run through StarTools and a little final noise reduction / sharpening in Topaz DeNoise.
NewCompositeHeart-DeNoiseAI-low-light.jpg
Larry
For visual:
10" Skywatcher collapsible goto dob, various EP's and a Celestron StarSense auto align.

For imaging:
Orion 8" astrograph 800mm @ F3.9
Eq6-R Pro controlled by APT via EQmod with an OTA mounted mini PC
Tele Vue Paracorr Type 2 coma corrector
Altair Hypercam 26C
Jockinireland Ireland
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jockinireland »

Thanks for having a go at it @Larry 1969

Ha/Oiii colour is just APPs algorithm which takes the data, knowing it was shot with OSC and dual band and produces a stacked RGB image. It's essentially the same as what youd get putting the data through DSS or WBPP in PI although the APP sales pitch is that it will produce a less noisy image.

You could try doing the HaOiii Colour through you normal OSC flow. It will come out mostly red, like the RGB one in my original post, but I do like that effect.

I rather gave up on StarTools a while back because I just could not get on with it despite much help in here including from Ivo. So I've never done this type of channel combination in it. It will be interesting to see what others can do with it.

Take care

David
Meade 8" LX200 GPS on wedge (Guided with a cheapo 50mm guidescope and a ZWO ASI 120mm mini)
Sharpstar 61EDPH II (with dedicated 0.8 reducer) with wiliam Optics 32mm uniguide
Camera: ASI2600MC pro. QHY 163M with ZWO 7nm NB filters, Canon EOS700D astro mod

STEVE333 United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Thanks David for sharing the data. Here is my entry.

NR_LRGB.jpg

PROCESSING (PixInsight):
Crop
DBE
ColorCalibration
MultiscaleLinearTransform (noise reduction)
HistogramTransformtion (stretch to nonlinear)
TGVDenoise
Starnet (create Starless image plus Stars image)
  • Use Surface Blur Noise Reduction to reduce background noise in Starless image
Extract Luminance from starless image
  • TGVDenoise
  • MultiscaleLinearTransform (sharpen Luminance image)
  • LocalHistogramEqualization (increase Luminance image contrast)
Convolution (slightly blur Starless image))
LRGBCombination with only L checked (use Luminance from above to enhance slightly blurred Starless image)
PixelMath (add Stars image to LRGB image)
EZ Star Reduction to reduce number of stars
CurvesTransformation (S-Curve to enhance contrast and highlights)

I didn't do anything special to repair the dark region created by the dust bunny. It just ended up going away somewhere along the way. At least, I don't see it in the final image.

I look forward to trying the HOO processing.

Steve
Last edited by STEVE333 on Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve King: Light Pollution (Bortle 5)
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Software: PHD2; APT; PixInsight ***** My AP website: www.steveking.pictures
Larry 1969 United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Larry 1969 »

Our crops appear very similar Steve. Just enough to remove the stacking artifacts.

Larry
For visual:
10" Skywatcher collapsible goto dob, various EP's and a Celestron StarSense auto align.

For imaging:
Orion 8" astrograph 800mm @ F3.9
Eq6-R Pro controlled by APT via EQmod with an OTA mounted mini PC
Tele Vue Paracorr Type 2 coma corrector
Altair Hypercam 26C

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Here is my HOO version.

Heart_Blend_50.jpg

PROCESSING:
I added the G and B images together to create the Oiii image because there is significant signal in both channels.
The Oiii was stretched additionally with a Range Mask to make the signal comparable to the Ha signal.
Strong TGVDenoise was used to help with noise.
LRGBCombination was used to enhance the HOO image with the Ha used as the Luminance.

It's a bit pushed, but, the processing was fun especially with several days of rain ahead!

C and C welcomed. Thanks again David for all your work and for sharing your data.

Steve
Telescope + Mount + Guiding: W.O. Star71-ii + iOptron CEM40 EC + Orion Magnificent Mini AutoGuider
Camera: ASI 1600MM Pro + EFW Filter Wheel + Chroma 3nm Siii, Ha, Oiii + ZWO LRGB Filters
Jockinireland Ireland
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jockinireland »

Hi @STEVE333 those are both really good. I like the HOO especially. The deep contrast in the Ha makes it very dramatic and you have got great blue from the Oiii. I did the range mask stretch of the Oiii in my previous HOO and the one I'll post in a minute but cant get near the amount of blue you have.

A couple of questions;

When you combined the G & B did you do it 50;50?
I your HOO straight 1;1;1 or did you mix the channels at all.

Nicely done anyway Steve ad thanks for giving it a shot.

Jockinireland Ireland
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jockinireland »

Having done the Extract Ha and Oiii in APP I thought i should see f it made much difference.

I did a direct comparison of the APP Ha and Oiii stacks against R & G extracted from the PI stack. There was a little less noise in the APP ones but I doubt if it would be enough to make much difference to the finished image. Other than that they looked pretty much the same.

My new effort is below and the main difference to my original (link in top post) is the amount of blue in the original and the amount of outer faint Ha I've got in the new one. And I left the fisheah and its dustbunny in this time. As Steve said - it rather disapeared in processing.

But I dont think any of that is down to a difference between the APP and PI stacks - its more down to differences I made in the processing - particularly in the relative stretches of the Ha and Oiii before recombination.
HOO_fina;_s3_bal.jpg
processing was;

Ha & Oiii
Dynamic crop,
DBE
Deconv
EZ Denoise
I combined the two images with stars as HOO, extracted the stars using starXterminator and discarded the HOO starless (i did this because I was not sure how it would work trying to stretch Ha stars and Oiii stars/
StarXteminator on Ha and Oiii(discarded the stars from both)
stretch to non linear with HT and CT
Range mask and boost Oiii with more HT & CT
Combines Ha and Oiii in SHO-AIP (various blends till I got the colour I wanted).
LHE on the HOO
stretched the HOO stars using HT - then SCNR
Pixelmath to combine HOO and stars (stars at 70%)
@STEVE333 's "make it pop" method.
Into Photoshop for final tweaks on colour (in Camera Raw Filter) and a selective high pass routine to pull out melotte 15 and some of the structures around the inner rim of the heart. final balance on background in levels.

C&C very much appreciated.

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by STEVE333 »

Jockinireland wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:36 pm Hi @STEVE333 those are both really good. I like the HOO especially. The deep contrast in the Ha makes it very dramatic and you have got great blue from the Oiii. I did the range mask stretch of the Oiii in my previous HOO and the one I'll post in a minute but cant get near the amount of blue you have.

A couple of questions;

When you combined the G & B did you do it 50;50?
I your HOO straight 1;1;1 or did you mix the channels at all.

Nicely done anyway Steve ad thanks for giving it a shot.

Thanks David - You got some good details in your repro, looks nice.

Yes I combined the G & B using (G+B)/2.
Yes I used straight 1:1:1 when combining the HOO.

The pictures below show the Ha and O3 after stretching (O3 boosted with Range Mask). These are starless images as you can see. I boosted the O3 until it's brightness was "comparable" to the Ha.

Ha
Ha_Starless.jpg

O3
O3_Starless.jpg
I did use a color mask on the Blue at some point. I believe I increased the color saturation and likely boosted the Blue a bit. Hope this helps.

Steve
Mirrorgirl Great Britain
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

This months AP challenge heart nebula

Post by Mirrorgirl »

Hi there

I processed this image in pixinsight and adobe light room....i would like to learn how to remove stars from your image because they were just getting in the way...apart from that I really enjoyed processing the heart nebula and I hope you guys like my image
heart nebula done.jpg
Eqm35 Skywatcher mount..Skywatcher 80 ed telescope, 71 W/O GT ...bunch of eye pieces 25,mm 32mm etc...Nexter 4,se...385 mc Zwo camera, Zwo 183 colour cooled pro camera... Orion 80 ed...two compass...
Sky fi wireless telescope controller.. Rebel t3i.. light pollution L XTREME, Idas light pollution filter and Antlia 3nm gold, Antlia h alpha filter filter..other filters .. pixinsight .. startools..

:observatory: NONE :observatory:
BABOafrica Kenya
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: This months AP challenge heart nebula

Post by BABOafrica »

I know nothing about PI processing. But one thing is obvious in your version of The Heart: lots of color.

BABO
"In lumine tuo videbimus lumen."

Scopes: Stellarvue SV80 Raptor Carbon Fiber ED Doublet / Celestron SCT C8
Williams Optics 66mm APO / DIY 8" f/4 Newtonian astrograph / Nikon 180mm f/2.8
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-G / Celestron AVX / DIY mini-equatorial
Cameras: QHY163m / Fujifilm X-A1 (modded) / Fuji X-A2 (not modded) / Orion StarShoot Auto Guider
Filters: ZWO 7nm NB set / ZWO LRGB set / ZWO Dual Band / Astronomics UHC
UkDave Great Britain
Moon Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UkDave »

Nice data David thanks for sharing ,processed in startools 1,8,522 log attached -----------------------------------------------------------
StarTools 1.8.522RC
Fri Dec 24 16:23:56 2021
-----------------------------------------------------------
Loading luminance channel data
File loaded in LRGB module [C:\Users\DAVID\Downloads\Fits\Heart_2021_app_Ha.fits].
Loading red channel data
File loaded in LRGB module [C:\Users\DAVID\Downloads\Fits\Heart_2021_app_Ha.fits].
Loading blue channel data
File loaded in LRGB module [C:\Users\DAVID\Downloads\Fits (1)\Heart_2021_app_Oiii.fits].
--- Compose
Parameter [Luminance, Color] set to [L + Synthetic L From R(2xG)B, R(GB)(GB) (Bi-Color from OSC/DSLR)]
Parameter [Color Ch. Interpolation] set to [On]
Parameter [NB Accents Type] set to [Ha/S-II from NB filter]
Parameter [Lum Total Exposure] set to [1h00m (60m) (3600s)]
Parameter [Blue Total Exposure] set to [1h00m (60m) (3600s)]
Parameter [Green Total Exposure] set to [Not set]
Parameter [Red Total Exposure] set to [1h00m (60m) (3600s)]
Image size is 6292 x 4380
Type of Data: Linear, was not Bayered, or was Bayered + white balanced
--- Auto Develop
Parameter [Ignore Fine Detail <] set to [Off]
Parameter [Outside RoI Influence] set to [15 %]
Parameter [RoI X1] set to [0 pixels]
Parameter [RoI Y1] set to [0 pixels]
Parameter [RoI X2] set to [6292 pixels (-0)]
Parameter [RoI Y2] set to [4380 pixels (-0)]
Parameter [Detector Gamma] set to [1.00]
Parameter set to [50 %] --- Bin Parameter [Scale] set to [scale 50.00% / +2.00 bits / +1.00x SNR improvement] Image size is 3146 x 2190 --- Crop Parameter [X1] set to [34 pixels] Parameter [Y1] set to [42 pixels] Parameter [X2] set to [2993 pixels (-153)] Parameter [Y2] set to [2166 pixels (-24)] Image size is 2959 x 2124 --- Crop Parameter [X1] set to [0 pixels] Parameter [Y1] set to [77 pixels] Parameter [X2] set to [2959 pixels (-0)] Parameter [Y2] set to [2124 pixels (-0)] Image size is 2959 x 2047 --- Wipe Parameter [Synthetic Dark/Bias] set to [Off] Parameter [Gradient Edge Behavior] set to [Bounce Back] Parameter [Synthetic Flats] set to [Off] Parameter [Sampling Precision] set to [128 x 128 pixels] Parameter [Dark Anomaly Filter] set to [3 pixels] Parameter [Gradient Falloff] set to [0 %] Parameter [Synth. Bias Edge Area] set to [100 %] Parameter [Gradient Aggressiveness] set to [0 %] Parameter [Correlation Filtering] set to [Off] Redoing stretch of linear data --- Auto Develop Parameter [Ignore Fine Detail <] set to [1.2 pixels] Parameter [Outside RoI Influence] set to [15 %] Parameter [RoI X1] set to [256 pixels] Parameter [RoI Y1] set to [272 pixels] Parameter [RoI X2] set to [2717 pixels (-242)] Parameter [RoI Y2] set to [1953 pixels (-94)] Parameter [Detector Gamma] set to [1.00] Parameter [Shadow Linearity] set to [50 %] --- Contrast Parameter [Expose Dark Areas] set to [No] Parameter [Brightness Retention] set to [Global Mode Align] Parameter [Precision] set to [256 x 256 pixels] Parameter [Shadow Detail Size] set to [10 pixels] Parameter [Locality] set to [50 %] Parameter [Shadow Dyn Range Alloc] set to [100 %] --- HDR Parameter [Signal Flow] set to [Tracked] Parameter [Quality] set to [Medium] Parameter [Gamma Shadow (Lift)] set to [1.00] Parameter [Gamma Highlight (Tame)] set to [1.25] Parameter [Gamma Smoothen] set to [20.0 pixels] Parameter [Context Size] set to [50x50 pixels (1.69% image W, 2.44% image H)] Parameter [Shadows Detail Boost] set to [30 %] Parameter [Highlights Detail Boost] set to [30 %] --- Wavelet Sharpen Parameter [Structure Size] set to [Large] --- SNR-aware Wavelet Sharpening Parameter [Protection] set to [Shadow/Highlights] Parameter [Scale 1] set to [100 %] Parameter [Scale 2] set to [100 %] Parameter [Scale 3] set to [100 %] Parameter [Scale 4] set to [100 %] Parameter [Scale 5] set to [100 %] Parameter [Mask Fuzz] set to [4 pixels] Parameter [Amount] set to [300 %] Parameter [High SNR Size Bias] set to [85 %] Parameter [Low SNR Size Bias] set to [0 %] Parameter [Dark/Light Enhance] set to [50% / 50%] --- Color Parameter [Bias Slider Mode] set to [Sliders Reduce Color Bias] Parameter [Style] set to [Artistic, Not Detail Aware] Parameter [LRGB Method Emulation] set to [RGB Ratio, CIELab Luminance Retention] Parameter [Matrix] set to [HOO Duoband 100R,50G+50B,50G+50B] Parameter [Dark Saturation] set to [2.0] Parameter [Bright Saturation] set to [2.0] Parameter [Saturation Amount] set to [270 %] Parameter [Blue Bias Reduce] set to [1.14] Parameter [Green Bias Reduce] set to [1.00] Parameter [Red Bias Reduce] set to [1.02] Parameter [Mask Fuzz] set to [1.0 pixels] Parameter [Cap Green] set to [0 %] Parameter [Highlight Repair] set to [Off] --- Shrink Parameter [Mode] set to [Tighten] Parameter [Halo Extend] set to [3 pixels] Parameter [Iterations] set to [10] Parameter [Regularization] set to [0.85] Parameter [Color Taming] set to [2 pixels] Parameter [De-ringing] set to [Off] Parameter [Un-glow Strength] set to [Off] Parameter [Un-glow Kernel] set to [Off] --- Entropy-driven Detail Enhancement Parameter [Resolution] set to [Medium] Parameter [Channel Selection] set to [All] Parameter [Strength] set to [100 %] Parameter [Midtone Pull Filter] set to [20.0 pixels] Parameter [Midtone Pull Strength] set to [50 %] Parameter [Dark/Light Enhance] set to [50% / 50%] --- Super Structure Parameter [Detail Preservation] set to [Linear Brightness Mask Darken] Parameter [Compositing Algorithm] set to [Multiply, Gamma Correct] Parameter [Brightness, Color] set to [Process Both] Parameter [Brightness Retention] set to [Local Median] Parameter [Mask Fuzz] set to [1.0 pixels] Parameter [Airy Disk Radius] set to [50 %] Parameter [Gamma] set to [0.75] Parameter [Detail Preservation Radius] set to [20.0 pixels] Parameter [Saturation] set to [50 %] Parameter [Strength] set to [100 %] --- Unified De-Noise Parameter [Grain Size] set to [4.0 pixels] Parameter [Walking Noise Size] set to [1.0 pixels] Parameter [Walking Noise Angle] set to [0] --- Unified De-Noise Parameter [Scale 1] set to [99 %] Parameter [Scale 2] set to [95 %] Parameter [Scale 3] set to [95 %] Parameter [Scale 4] set to [95 %] Parameter [Scale 5] set to [50 %] Parameter [Equalized Grain] set to [3 %] Parameter [Scale Correlation] set to [50 %] Parameter [Color Detail Loss] set to [50 %] Parameter [Brightness Detail Loss] set to [50 %] Parameter [Grain Dispersion] set to [4.0 pixels] --- Fractal Flux: Setup Parameter [Wavelet Library] set to [Small] --- Fractal Flux Parameter [Brightness Mask Mode] set to [Off] Parameter [Algorithm] set to [Modulate Unsharp Mask] Parameter [Negative Flux] set to [0 %] Parameter [Positive Flux] set to [500 %] Parameter [Detail Filter] set to [1.0 pixels] Parameter [Filter Fuzz] set to [1.0 pixels] Parameter [Filter Radius] set to [1.5 pixels] Parameter [Filter Amount] set to [200 %] Parameter [Mask Fuzz] set to [1.0 pixels] Parameter [Brightness Mask Power] set to [1.0] File saved [C:\Users\DAVID\Downloads\Fits (1)\TSSHeart.jpg].
Attachments
TSSHeart.jpg
CuriousFin
Earth Ambassador

Post by CuriousFin »

Hi All,
This is my first post, and my first attempt at processing an image - I'm a want-to-be astro-photographer and this seems like a good place to start a hobby.
I used PS and followed a couple of You Tube videos. I did the following;
an initial stretch on the PI image
separated out the stars using StarNet++
further stretched the nebula further
darkened the surrounding with a mask
overlaying the stars back.

I must admit it was a lot of fun - thanks so much for the data to play with - it makes a great learning tool!
Comments very welcome please - I did find it tricky to darken the background without removing the surrounding clouds too much.
Heart.jpg
Jockinireland Ireland
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jockinireland »

Hi @CuriousFin Thats really nicely processed - especially as your first attempt.

For me the background us just a shade dark and that is probably losing some of the fainter surrounding nebulosity. You could try putting a sample point on an area of real background i.e. without any nebulosity. On this image thats tricky as there is not much space without nebula. But if you look at some of the images above you can see some clear background in the lower leff and at the extreme right. Put a sample point in there then use levels to adjust the black point down to somewhere between 25 and 30. That will give you a nice dark (but not pure black) background sky and leave some of the nebulosity showing.

Also, on my monitor some of the stars are a bit green, you can get the HLVG plugin for PS (google deep sky colours HLVG)which would solve that in one click.

i hope that helps and look forward to seeing you on TSS in the future.

CuriousFin
Earth Ambassador

Post by CuriousFin »

Thanks @Jockinireland for your reply - I appreciate your comments. Sorry for the delay, I just got back from hols. Looking at some of the other great images I can see what you mean about the background. I also hadn't noticed the green stars but I'll have another go so I can learn more! There is so much to understand and learn about processing these images and the tools and methods available!