AP Processing Challenge 26 - KathyNS NGC 6559

Every month a new challenge!
Jockinireland Ireland
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: AP Processing Challenge 26 - KathyNS NGC 6559

Post by Jockinireland »

SkyHiker wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:13 pm Aside from the last one, I see enormous gradients introduced that I doubt are real, and that I don't see in Kathy's image.
Hmmm, I'm not really seeing gradients, there is extensive nebulosity which is changing from emission to more reflection across the image but I'd not call that "gradient". But it does make for a tough process.

Have you had a go at processing it, the more the merrier!!
Scope: Skywatcher Evostar 80ED (SW 0.85 FR/FF) on a SW NEQ6Pro
Guiding; SW Evoguide 50ED, ASI 120mm mini
Meade 8" LX200 GPS on wedge (Guided with a cheapo 50mm guidescope and a ZWO ASI 120mm mini)
Sharpstar 61EDPH II (with dedicated 0.8 reducer) with wiliam Optics 32mm uniguide
Camera: ASI2600MC pro. QHY 163M with ZWO 7nm NB filters, Canon EOS700D astro mod
Secondary mount: Skywatcher StarAdventurer

My Astrobin https://www.astrobin.com/users/mackiedlm/
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Jockinireland wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:53 pm
SkyHiker wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:13 pm Aside from the last one, I see enormous gradients introduced that I doubt are real, and that I don't see in Kathy's image.
Hmmm, I'm not really seeing gradients, there is extensive nebulosity which is changing from emission to more reflection across the image but I'd not call that "gradient". But it does make for a tough process.

Ouch I could have seen that one coming... now I may have to try, help this is mono imaging with multiple bands! I can only hope that the .TIFs are aligned... well I could use practice of course.

But, if you compare Kathy's image with the other ones you see a big difference in gradients don't you? Or is it my desktop settings that make it worse.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Jockinireland Ireland
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jockinireland »

SkyHiker wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:44 pm
Jockinireland wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:53 pm

Ouch I could have seen that one coming... now I may have to try, help this is mono imaging with multiple bands! I can only hope that the .TIFs are aligned... well I could use practice of course.

But, if you compare Kathy's image with the other ones you see a big difference in gradients don't you? Or is it my desktop settings that make it worse.
:lol: It was not meant that way at all -honest!

Yes they are all aligned/registered. Give it ago!

See I'm not really sure. I think what you are referring to is the orange/red colour which curves up the right hand side. That is coming mainly from the red channel and Lum channels but is absent in the Ha. Looking at other images of the area on astrobin, that area is definately not dark - but it may not nebulosity - it may be the density of Milky way stars which are giving it the brightness and thats translating into the colour at the right of image.

Also, Kathys is cropped quite hard in from the right so that glow is much less evident.
Scope: Skywatcher Evostar 80ED (SW 0.85 FR/FF) on a SW NEQ6Pro
Guiding; SW Evoguide 50ED, ASI 120mm mini
Meade 8" LX200 GPS on wedge (Guided with a cheapo 50mm guidescope and a ZWO ASI 120mm mini)
Sharpstar 61EDPH II (with dedicated 0.8 reducer) with wiliam Optics 32mm uniguide
Camera: ASI2600MC pro. QHY 163M with ZWO 7nm NB filters, Canon EOS700D astro mod
Secondary mount: Skywatcher StarAdventurer

My Astrobin https://www.astrobin.com/users/mackiedlm/