Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

AP Processing Challenge No. 8 - The Sun

Post by Graeme1858 »

Welcome to:

AP Processing Challenge No. 8

It's Lowjiber's turn! This challenge is a bit of a treat and a first opportunity for many to process an image of the Sun.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Just click the link above to download and process using your preferred software and methods. There are three images, one shows a solar prominence, one the solar surface and the third is John's processed image.

AP Processing Challenge No. 8 starts today and ends on the 15th October.

Please keep the submissions coming in for future challenges, we're getting a bit short of data! Just send a PM to a Mod or an email to tssapchallenge@theskysearchers.com

And don't forget Challenge No 7 is still running. If you haven't already, jump in and have a go.

Have fun!

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: AP Processing Challenge No. 8

Post by Lowjiber »

I feel that I should tell you about that capture. I was fumbling around in my spare hard drive and stumbled on that AVI from 2016. I normally delete all capture data after processing, but evidently this one was never processed... likely because it was not really up-to-par when considering another capture.

That was shot with a Lunt 60 PT with a 1200 Blocking Filter. The cam was my very old ASI120MM. The pixel size of that cam is way too small by today's standards.

I thought I'd post a couple of processes of that image for reference... Both processed with IMPPG & Photoshop.
IMAGE FOR CHALLENGE WITH CAPTURE DATA NOTES.jpg
IMAGE FOR CHALLENGE WITH CAPTURE DATA NOTES INVERTED.jpg
Here's something else that you can do with that image. I cropped that one sunspot and stuck the crop into GigaPixel AI to double its size, and then processed with PS...
SUNSPOT UP CLOSE.jpg
Many Thanks to Graeme for putting these challenges on TSS.

If anyone has a question, just leave me a PM or post the question in this thread. We can all have a little fun with an image from the good-old-days. :)

Clear Skies & Stay Safe
John (Urban Astronomer) Apertura AD10 Dob; XLT 150 Dob; XLT 120EQ; Lunt Solar 60 PT/B1200; ES AR102; SW Pro 100ED; 2 SW Pro 80ED's; 90mm Eq; WO Z-61; SW 90mm Virtuso Mak; 2 Orion ST-80's; Quark-C; Cams: Polemaster, ASI120MM-S, ASI174MM & ASI174MM-C
Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Lowjiber »

I just noticed that I put the wrong year on the two images posted above. It truly IS 2016 vice the 2018 that I typed on the images posted. (You'll be old someday. :lol: )
John (Urban Astronomer) Apertura AD10 Dob; XLT 150 Dob; XLT 120EQ; Lunt Solar 60 PT/B1200; ES AR102; SW Pro 100ED; 2 SW Pro 80ED's; 90mm Eq; WO Z-61; SW 90mm Virtuso Mak; 2 Orion ST-80's; Quark-C; Cams: Polemaster, ASI120MM-S, ASI174MM & ASI174MM-C
Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Lowjiber »

Sometimes I get a little too agressive, as I did in the two images posted above. Here's a Nice & Easy look at the same data that I put together this morning during my practice session...
NICE & EASY.jpg
bradleybcraig
Jupiter Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bradleybcraig »

Thanks for the data John! I clearly am a rookie with this :-) Done entirely in PixInsight, winging it and watching video on YouTube .... Alignment of prominence and solar surface is a little off, among other things :-)
Challenge No 8 - LowJiber - Solar Surface.jpg
-Brad

Hardware: Meade 8" ACF, Mallincam CF VRC-8 & 0.75 reducer w/ Moonlite 2" CS focuser & High Res Stepper, WO Star 71 w/ Moonlite High Res Stepper,
iOptron CEM60, Modified Canon 450D, Atik 383L+ mono, Lodestar X2, 2" Atik EFW2, Astrodon 36mm 3nm NB Ha/Sii/Oiii Filters, LRGB Gen2 E-Series Tru-Balance Filters, PoleMaster
Software: SkySafari Pro, Sequence Generator Pro, PHD2, PixInsight
Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/a028964/
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bradleycr ... roimaging/
Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Lowjiber »

Nicely done, Brad. :) I'm unfamiliar with Pixinsight, but your image looks good. You dealt with the uneven light across the disk very well... That can be tricky sometimes, and even experienced solar-heads have issues at times.
bradleybcraig wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:04 pm Alignment of prominence and solar surface is a little off, among other things :-)
When we shoot the prom image it is almost always over-exposed to bring out the proms better. That over-exposure "bloats" the image... Usually by about 5%. So, when you place the surface on top of the prom shot the edges don't quite line up.

The key is to resize one of the images. Since making the surface larger would slightly stretch the data, reducing the prom image is the better choice. As I mentioned, I'm unschooled in Pixinsight, but in Photoshop I can resize both the width & height of the prom image... Usually to about 95% of the original size will work. You may have to bump that one a little more, but experimentation will prove beneficial.

Below is a screenshot of the (selected) surface being moved into position on that prom image that had been "shrunk" to 95.5% of its original size. (The blue square is simply the Move Tool in PS.) You can see that the edge of the surface is going to marry perfectly with the reduced prom limb.
MOVING SELECTED SURFACE OVER PROMS.jpg
As an aside, you'll notice that my surface has been processed (still in monochrome) before pasting it on the proms. That keeps one's further surface adjustments (sharpening, etc.) from affecting the proms which usually don't need much.

I'm going to send you a PM with my email & phone number.

Thanks much for accepting the challenge. They're fun for everyone.:)

Clear Skies & Stay Safe
Ruud
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Ruud »

Hi guys,

Thank you Graeme and John. It was a pleasure to work on this one.

I scaled and combined, then saved as 16 bit greyscale tif.
Then opened the B&W and went to 16 bit RGB

I used three adjustment layers:
- a gradient map layer to add colour (black-orange-yellow, 54% fill)
- Col Burn, a hue/saturation adjustment layer with no settings other than blend mode = color burn, fill = 5%.
- Col Dodge, a hue/saturation adjustment layer with no settings other than blend mode = color dodge, fill = 21%.

I put a final copy in a separate layer for a tiny bit of sharpening (Topaz InFocus) and removed the sharpening from the edges of the disk.
In InFocus I used moderate presharpening That looked fine, any sharpening would have worked

I saved the 16bit PSD and an 8 bit PNG

This is what the layers looked like in PS
Layers8.png
and this is the result. Click for full size.
Ruud Challenge 8.png
I'm content with the result and happy that I chose these three adjustment layers. It made the work easy!
7x50 Helios Apollo 8x42 Bresser Everest 73mm f/5.9 WO APO 4" f/5 TeleVue Genesis 6" f/10 Celestron 6SE 0.63x reducer 1.8, 2, 2.5 and 3x Barlows eyepieces from 4.5 to 34mm
Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Lowjiber »

Nice job, Ruud! :)

I like the use of the two Color Dodge & Burn Layers. I've done something similar in the past using a Curves adjustment layer in mono... One layer for Dodge & another for Burn. I like your way much better... Now I have some practicing to do. :text-thankyouyellow:

Thanks for your contribution to this challenge.:)

Clear Skies & Stay Safe
Ruud
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Ruud »

Thank you John.

I've been using the 'special blend mode and fill' trick ever since I learned how opacity and fill have different effects with certain blend modes. Color dodge and color burn are just two of them. Here is how Jesus Ramirez explains it.

I further use that an empty adjustment layers acts like a copy of everything beneath it, so what is being blended is a copy of the work so far. A layer containing an actual copy would do as well, but would increase file size.

The reason why I use Hue/Saturation layers (instead of other empty adjustment layers) is the colourise option and the saturation slider. If your highlights are a too pale for instance, you can liven them up a bit by increasing the saturation of the Col Dodge layer.

The reason why I put the Hue/Sat layers in a group is that you can put them out of sight when not working on them. Also, you can use a mask on the group as a whole.

[mention]Graeme1858[/mention] After duplicating everything to a new layer (Final copy) and sharpening that layer, the edge of the Sun looked like it was made of Lego. To block the unwanted sharpening there, I clicked on the mask and painted in black over the edge of the Sun. You can see that in the screenshot. Where the mask is black, the Final copy layer is see through, revealing the non-sharpened layers below. Only where the mask is white can you see the sharpened content of Final copy. That's the basis of masking: white is opaque,black is see through and grey is partially see through.
7x50 Helios Apollo 8x42 Bresser Everest 73mm f/5.9 WO APO 4" f/5 TeleVue Genesis 6" f/10 Celestron 6SE 0.63x reducer 1.8, 2, 2.5 and 3x Barlows eyepieces from 4.5 to 34mm
Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Lowjiber »

Wow! That Ramirez video is awesome, Ruud.:)

I've been practicing your Dodge/Burn techniques, and that just opened my eyes a bit further. Thanks!
RUUD METHOD.jpg
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

i gave it a go, wasn't worth posting ahaha
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Lowjiber »

While I don't use that little, old camera anymore, I'm sort of impressed with what one can pull out of that data with very little work. Below is that sunspot on the right side.

Cropped the spot and enlarged it (2.5x) in Gigapixel AI to be large enough for the web.
Very slight noise reduction in PS
Gaussian Blur 1.1 pixels
Colored with Color Balance in PS
Gamma adjusted with Exposure layer in PS.
Overall brightness adjusted in PS to allow for dimming when saved as JPEG for web.
SUNSPOT COLORED-JPEG.jpg
SUNSPOT COLORED-JPEG.jpg (279.18 KiB) Viewed 8543 times
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Looks like the usual curves, levels, colour balance and saturate doesn't work with solar!

My CS2 doesn't seem to be able to work with two images at the same time either. I'll give it another go in Gimp.

Challenge No 8 - LowJiber - Solar Surface.png

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Lowjiber »

That is a very intense color, Graeme.:) Thanks for sharing it with everyone.

I've noticed that darker colors tend to hide details... If one looks at all the images posted above it is evident.:)
Graeme1858 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:44 am My CS2 doesn't seem to be able to work with two images at the same time either. I'll give it another go in Gimp.
Gimp is probably the better choice, as later versions are more advanced that CS2. There are a couple of guys on Solar Chat that use Gimp quite successfully.

However, if you can stand this guy's voice, he demonstrates techniques in CS2 that would work with multiple images. (He's using two images and pasting them together.)
https://youtu.be/BaPIMe5dCv0

Clear Skies & Stay Safe
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 584

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Cool Graeme!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Ruud
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Ruud »

This time I tried GIMP. Everything relies heavily on the G'MIC plugins: I used Local Contrast, Colorize and Sharpen Inverse Diffusion. There are about 250 more plugins in the package. If you guys don't have G'MIC: Get it now. It's free.

This result is from the Solar Surface.tif image alone. That has the proms too. I did not expect this!

These are the layers in GIMP:
Challenge8 GIMP layers.png
"Visible" means the result so far, based on the layers below.

This is the result (Click for full size):
Challenge8 GIMP + GMIC 8 bit.png
It was a struggle, but a stimulating one and again: I am happy with the result! I really liked Challenge number 8.

Looking forward to the next one!.
Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Lowjiber »

Nice workflow and final image, Ruud. :)
Ruud wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:49 pm This result is from the Solar Surface.tif image alone. That has the proms too. I did not expect this!
Okay, here's the deal... The prom data is actually in the solar shot. In PS, one can make them "rise from the dead" by altering the Curves like this...

BEFORE...
BEFORE.jpg

AFTER...
AFTER.jpg

HERE'S WHAT THAT CURVES LAYER (Hidden as a Smart Object in the Before stack.) LOOKS LIKE...
CURVES.jpg

There are other ways to do that in Photoshop (Shadows/Highlights, etc.)

The major reason we don't normally do it is because we want to process the proms separately before having the prepared surface disk "pasted" on.

Solar-Heads are a tricky bunch. :lol:
Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Lowjiber »

There are a zillion color schemes for solar images, and several ways to apply them... Color Balance, Levels, etc. Some are better than others depending on the particular image and the "mood" of the imager at the time. Being partially color-blind, I live/die by "the numbers" and repeatability is always a major concern.

In Photoshop, I have about ten preset "actions" that I've developed over the years... All of which can be applied with a single click. This sort of stuff is too boring for most people, but I'm sharing a lot here because of the members who are participating in this challenge. (Thanks Graeme :))

Here's one that I like a lot. It uses the Color Mixer to adjust the RGB channels. Here are the settings...
CHANNEL MIXER.jpg

That scheme works well with an image that has had a lot of contrast applied beforehand.
COLOR WITH CHANNEL MIXER.jpg
Of course, that image still needs a bit of work before it's ready-for-prime-time, but I'm just putting it here for a color example.... Overall brightness and a Gaussian Blur are a couple of examples, but you get the idea.:)

Those familiar with PS will notice that the Red channel is over saturated (+173%), but that won't get you in trouble on a hard-contrast image.
Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Lowjiber »

Today's Secret Word is "Smooth".:)

Still using our original surface image... I took that image and cooked it up to 5856x 7296 pixels and then cropped that lower sunspot down to 800x625 pixels (6x). As you know, had I tried to crop from the original sized image it would have been too small to post on the web... See my post #2 above.

Then, a straight forward process IMPPG followed by Photoshop for every thing else.:)
6X cropped SMOOTH.jpg
gcisko United States of America
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by gcisko »

Here is my attempt at it. I used Photoshop and Topaz Studio, and that is about it. I would have liked to do more with the proms on the edge. Perhaps later. The ASI120MM is the same camera I normally use as I cannot find a better one like the ASI224 in stock anywhere. What I am impressed with based on my own captures is the entire disk was in sharp focus.

Great exercise! Thanks for sharing it John!
Challenge No 8 - LowJiber - Solar Surface-COLORflatten.jpg
Celestron EdgeHD 8, AVX | StarSense | 2" Star Diagonal | Astrotech Illuminated finder
F/7 Focal Reducer | Powertank | Orion 7x50 Binoculars
Astrotech AT72ED | Star Adventurer by SkyWatcher
Eyepieces: Tele Vue 32mm WideField & 6mm Ethos | Nagler - 9mm & 16mm Type 2
Filters: Lumimcon & Baader OIII, Baader Sky & Moon Glow, 13% Moon
ASIair Pro & ZWO ASI533MC