TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: AP Processing Challenge No. 5

Post by Thefatkitty »

Maybe a little better? You AP folks amaze me, as for myself I'll stop now :lol:
Challenge No 5 - BobHarmony - NGC7023 - Iris Nebula_16_PS_1.png
All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Oh yeah, and Solar Cycle 25 :D
gcisko United States of America
Saturn Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by gcisko »

Thefatkitty wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:28 pmI downloaded the file, and first opened it with Gimp, as it was the only thing I had that reads it. It opened... in greyscale. And as you can see in the colors tab, the options are limited.

Once you open it in GIMP, you can EXPORT AS and select TIFF. There are many other file types to choose from. Also either in GIMP or Photoshop you should change the MODE of the file to 16 bit RGB. It was 32 bit Grey Scale which as you saw has few options.

Anyway after you save as TIFF you are off and running to do whatever Photoshop magic you can.

Hope this helps :telescopewink:
Celestron EdgeHD 8, AVX | StarSense | 2" Star Diagonal | Astrotech Illuminated finder
F/7 Focal Reducer | Powertank | Orion 7x50 Binoculars
Astrotech AT72ED | Star Adventurer by SkyWatcher
Eyepieces: Tele Vue 32mm WideField & 6mm Ethos | Nagler - 9mm & 16mm Type 2
Filters: Lumimcon & Baader OIII, Baader Sky & Moon Glow, 13% Moon
ASIair Pro & ZWO ASI533MC
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

gcisko wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:45 pm
Thefatkitty wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:28 pmI downloaded the file, and first opened it with Gimp, as it was the only thing I had that reads it. It opened... in greyscale. And as you can see in the colors tab, the options are limited.

Once you open it in GIMP, you can EXPORT AS and select TIFF. There are many other file types to choose from. Also either in GIMP or Photoshop you should change the MODE of the file to 16 bit RGB. It was 32 bit Grey Scale which as you saw has few options.

Anyway after you save as TIFF you are off and running to do whatever Photoshop magic you can.

Hope this helps :telescopewink:
It actually does, thanks :D I wasn't too sure if doing the conversion to 16bit RGB was just adding color to greyscale. I tried it doing that and it seems fine in PS. Thanks again!

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Oh yeah, and Solar Cycle 25 :D
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Thefatkitty wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:28 pm Well, here's what happened when I tried to play with it.
First off, I have only done AP with the Sun/Moon, so any processing from me would be, well, bad... :lol: But I ran into the same thing JT did.

I downloaded the file, and first opened it with Gimp, as it was the only thing I had that reads it. It opened... in greyscale. And as you can see in the colors tab, the options are limited.

Hello Mark.

When you first open an fts file in Gimp a box opens with various options. The bottom option defaults to greyscale (can't remember what it is, I'm not on my laptop!) if you change that to Naxis 3 (Dunno what that means!) the file will open in colour. At the top of the screen a couple of file thumb nails will be displayed, select the black one. Then click the Curves command from the Colour Menu and stretch the curve up and to the left. Try experimenting with different amounts and from different positions. Then, as if by magic, an Iris will appear! Then after messing with Levels and other functions, Export as a png or jpg and post up the result.

Good luck.

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

andrewsscope wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:31 pm Hi all this is my effort using adobe cs2 and affinity,I used the develop tool by altering the clarity,blackpoint,exposure,shadows.I used the curves tool in adobe cs2 on each point of the nebula to bring out the details.This is my attempt of Bobs image.Thanks for sharing and I used Graeme tiff file.

Excellent detail in the Iris and the black nebulosity shows up well too Andy.

Adobe CS2 does a good job. Would you say it's a step up from Gimp or on a par?

Regards

Graeme

andrewsscope Great Britain
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by andrewsscope »

Graeme1858 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:57 am
andrewsscope wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:31 pm Hi all this is my effort using adobe cs2 and affinity,I used the develop tool by altering the clarity,blackpoint,exposure,shadows.I used the curves tool in adobe cs2 on each point of the nebula to bring out the details.This is my attempt of Bobs image.Thanks for sharing and I used Graeme tiff file.

Excellent detail in the Iris and the black nebulosity shows up well too Andy.

Adobe CS2 does a good job. Would you say it's a step up from Gimp or on a par?

Regards

Graeme
Hi Graeme I used to use gimp,but I find I get on better with Adobe cs2 and was free to download.I also use deepskycolours and I paid for anstronomy tools that I use for the plugins on Adobe cs2,also the deepskycolours works in affinity as a plug-in,only paid £23 for affinity as was on promotion.Thats all I use,as some other software is expensive.
Thanks
Andy
Andy
Telescopes :Skywatcher 80ed,Skywatcher 200p,Altair astro 60mm guidescope
Cameras: Canon 550d,Altair gp cam mono,gp cam 290c
Tripod: Eq5
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

AP Processing Challenge No 5 is now closed.

A popular challenge, 9 of us had a go at it, experienced and beginners alike. So a big thank you to BobHarmony for the data, NGC7023, the Iris Nebula in Cepheus.

Don't forget AP Processing Challenge No. 6 is still running. An excellent opportunity to have a go at processing an image of Comet C/2020 F3 Neowise with data submitted by GCisko.

The next one is AP Processing Challenge No. 7, starting today, which will be a chance to have a go at processing an image of M57 the Ring Nebula in Lyra submitted by me! Come and have a go.

If anyone would like to submit some data for a future challenge please send an email with a link to your data to tssapchallenge@theskysearchers.com. Feel free to PM a Mod if you would like further instructions.

Regards

Graeme

Return to “AP Processing Challenge”