POTD for another day (and an idea)

Give us your suggestions for a Photo of the Day!!!
Jockinireland
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

POTD for another day (and an idea)

Post by Jockinireland » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:49 am

I fully agree with OzEclipse's suggestion for 28/11.

Now can I make a suggestion for how this POTD idea could be even better.

I browse around many Astro forums but the reason I like TSS above all others is that it is much more friendly and encouraging to beginners - particularly beginner AP'rs. There is a recognition that people may not have the time or resources to buy the very best top notch equipment and spend the enormous amount of time to put together the breathtaking images which we all love so much, but that their images are no less worthy for that. I personally have been made to feel very welcome and been very encouraged by the willingness of people to help me develop and grow in the hobby when I have shown images which, while I am proud of them, are far from what would be considered standard AOPD fare on other sites.

So,with that in mind can I respectfully suggest we can make suggestions for POTD which may not be spectacular but which, taking all circumstances into account, is worthy of recognition. I'm thinking here of situations where, for example, we may have a beginners early picture, taken on an ALT-AZ in Bortle 8 but which, all things considered, is a really good effort. Or a situation (as I'm going to propose below) where someone has coaxed a nice image out of "sub-optimal" equipment.

I am not suggesting that we don't award POTD to the fantastic images like yesterdays or the one Oz has suggested today - clearly those are very worthy of recognition, -but if we are doing it every day I think there is room to recognizes different types of achievement.

What say everyone else?

Therefore, my proposal (not for 28th as I agree with Oz on that one), but for a future date, is the moon image in Marks post below. Its a nice image but the way he's got it, the equipment hes' used and the obvious enjoyment he has got from doing it makes it wonderful.

viewtopic.php?f=67&t=4439

Kind regards

David.
Scope: Meade 8" LX200 GPS on wedge
Meade series 4000 f0.63 FF/FR
Camera: Canon EOS 1100D (X2)
Secondary mount: Skywatcher StarAdventurer
Various eypices
Vixen 7x42 binocs
bladekeeper
Co-Administrator

Re: POTD for another day (and an idea)

Post by bladekeeper » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:41 pm

Sounds like a fine idea to me, David. Mark's lunar efforts are always worthy in my mind. :)

And you do make excellent points.
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

JayTee
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

Post by JayTee » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:54 am

I always seem to be the buzz-kill guy.

Your idea is laudable, but every time we make a suggestion for picking this or that, someone has to do the picking.
Right now, Gordon goes through every image submitted every day to determine who gets the award, so your idea, as wonderfully intentioned as it is, means that there will need to be someone (Gordon) who will have to take the time to do it.

I'm not saying he or someone else won't, I'm just putting this out there.

Cheers,
JT
Main: C-stron CPC1100 #2 Scope: 8" f/7.5 Dob mounted Newt AP Scopes: TPO 6" f/9 RC, ES 80mm f/6 APO G&G Scope: Meade 102mm f/7.8, Bresser 102mm f/4.5 Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs Mounts: C-stron AVX CGEM & GT Alt-Az, Meade DS2000 Cameras: Canon T3i (x2), ASI120MC Binos: 10X50,10.5X70,15X70 (x2), 25X100 EPs: ES: 21 100°, 30 82° X-Cels: 9, 12, 18, 25 Clubs: RCA & HAS
HOME Image

My Wx https://dashboard.ambientweather.net/de ... 837a4f803c
I never met a scope I didn't want to keep. "My God, it's full of stars."
Gordon
Site Admin
Articles: 11

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Gordon » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:05 am

Well David.....

You figured out my plan....

I still want members suggestions and recommendations as its really nice to have some to pick from on those busy days when I can't find the time to go through and find a TSS APOD.

In the mean time the only qualification is it need to be the members image taken with their own equipment. (Yes cell phone images qualify!).
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 254N, Orion ST80, Orion Atlas EQ-g mount, Orion SSAG guider. Baader MPCC MkIII coma corrector, Vixen 70mm refractor. Lunt LS35THa solar scope. Skywatcher EQ5pro mount. Imagers: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm Eyepieces: a few, Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, EQMOD, SGP, Nebulosity, Photoshop, StarTools V1.4
Blog: http://ghswen.blogspot.com/
Graeme1858
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Graeme1858 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:17 am

Jockinireland wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:49 am
I personally have been made to feel very welcome and been very encouraged by the willingness of people to help me develop and grow in the hobby when I have shown images which, while I am proud of them, are far from what would be considered standard AOPD fare on other sites.

Seconded.

And:

Jockinireland wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:49 am
Therefore, my proposal (not for 28th as I agree with Oz on that one), but for a future date, is the moon image in Marks post below. Its a nice image but the way he's got it, the equipment hes' used and the obvious enjoyment he has got from doing it makes it wonderful.

Seconded.

Regards

Graeme

Return to “Your picks!”