The Night Sky Maps – a personal observation

Discuss astronomy books / magazines.
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

The Night Sky Maps – a personal observation

Post by kt4hx »

The folks who know me well, know that I am a devotee of the printed sky atlas, such as the Pocket Sky Atlas (PSA), Sky Atlas 2000 (SA2000), Interstellarum (IDSA) and Uranometria to name the most popular currently in print. But not only do I love the beauty of a commercially printed sky atlas, but I also appreciate those atlases that are available online, having been painstakingly created by dedicated amateurs who wanted to not only fill a need for themselves, but also to share their results with other astronomers.

There are several online atlases of varying depth and complexity, typically in PDF format, that one can print out in toto or as individual charts as needed. One of the most popular is the Tri-Atlas Project (TAP) that portrays the whole sky utilizing three separate atlases (A, B and C), each with progressively more charts, 25, 107 and 571. Each step in the progression increases the plotting limits in terms of both stellar and DSO magnitudes. The scale of the charts also gets narrower at each level spreading out the presentation in order to accommodate more stars (up to mag 12.6) and DSOs (including galaxies to 15.5), plus the resulting labels. Despite that, sometimes certain fields in the TAP C-Set can become a little hectic with the proliferation of objects/labels in the view. But it is still managed well. As with any atlas all is not perfect, but it remains a solid atlas that is quite popular in the hobby.

Another popular printable atlas is the Deep-Sky Hunter Atlas (DSHA). In this case, the creator utilizes only one atlas of the sky with 101 primary charts to stellar magnitude 10.6 and DSOs to magnitude 14.0. Additionally, this atlas includes 21 “A” charts that presents a more close-in view of select fields that may otherwise be very crowded and are of special interest. All in all the DSHA is a nice atlas, but again, it does have its deficiencies. The DSHA does become a bit cluttered in its coverage of the heart of the Virgo Galaxy Cluster with some galaxies not having labels. However, the author handles this adeptly by using a close-up chart (A-14) in the appendix to cover this region, spreading out the field adequately to include the missing labels. But, the one thing this atlas does not do, which bugs me, is that it does not plot galaxies in their proper orientation. Sometimes in crowded fields, orientation aids the observer with proper identification. But again, not every atlas is perfect and cannot totally fit everyone’s preferences. As an nice addition the author also provides for download of an extensive list of DSOs (approximately 7,000) plus another of select images of objects to aid the observer with target identification.

So, after all the verbosity, what is my point? Well, in keeping with the title of this article, I have come across a new (to me) online printable atlas set – The Night Sky Maps (NSM). I happened upon this three tiered atlas during a Google search that led me to an approximately year old thread on another site where the creator announced his atlas. There was some modest chatter about it, but otherwise it seems to have been mostly forgotten. Fortunately, the author, a Swedish amateur astronomer named Olle Eriksson provided a link to his site where the atlas is still alive and well. So off I went!

Basically, what Olle has developed is a three level atlas of the entire sky in the same broad sense of the TAP, but using a different platform and less aggressive approach. He developed his atlas using a freeware program many know and use, Cartes du Ciel. By using this as his platform, he had to work within its parameters and structure. However, being a software designer by trade, he had the experience and knowledge to utilize CdC to its best advantages and make certain tweaks in areas that the program allowed him to do so.

I will let his own words speak to his motivations for creating the NSM with a couple of quotes. The first from his post announcing the atlas:

“To give some background I already have and use the Interstellarum atlas for when I’m at the eyepiece, and I have the Sky Atlas 2000.0 laying around, and also the Cambridge Atlas Of Herschel Objects. But sometimes I just want something smaller, but not so small that you can't see anything on it. Something that can be lying around on my desk, and be used for checking out a constellation for deepsky objects or for planning a night of observing. An atlas that shows you details, but where each chart covers quite of a bit of sky so that it doesn’t feel like you’re looking through a keyhole.”

and the second from his website:

“An amateur astronomer myself, I had been looking around for a general purpose overview sky atlas for a long time. Not necessarily an atlas to be used at the eyepiece (I already had that), but something that could be lying around on my desk, and be my go to atlas when looking up a constellation, or planning what part of the sky to visit next, or just to remember places already visited. To be that first map you look at when seeing what constellations are visible tonight and you have to decide where to go first.”

So to that end, he developed the NSM, a series of three complete atlases of the sky in sets of 10, 20 and 30 double-spread charts. In order to gain a sense of what the three tiers bring to the table (or desk), below is the general information he provides on his website for comparative purposes:

10 charts (double-page spreads) of the whole sky (both hemispheres).
Each chart 109° x 74° (for A4 w/o inside overlap)
Stars down to magnitude 8.
Deepsky objects to magnitude 8.5.
Labels to varying magnitude.

20 charts (double-page spreads) of the whole sky (both hemispheres).
Each chart 67° x 51°
Stars down to magnitude 9.
Deepsky objects to magnitude 12.5.

30 charts (double-page spreads) of the whole sky (both hemispheres).
Each chart 52.5° x 40°
Stars down to magnitude 9.3.
Deepsky objects to magnitude 13.

As I mentioned, his approach is less aggressive than either the TAP or DHAS online atlases. But his goal here, as he stated, was not necessarily to create an atlas for use in the field under a red light, rather more as a desk reference for planning purposes. The true utility for the observer however, would be up to them. While some may find them field worthy, others may lean toward Olle’s idea of a desk reference. I have taken some time to study them, and will share my perceptions of his atlas.

So as a comparison, I include scans of the chart showing the dipper’s bowl in Ursa Major from each level – the 10, 20 and 30 chart sets. The most pronounced change is from the 10 chart to the 20 chart, with a more modest difference between the 20 and 30 chart sets. Note the galaxies that are unlabeled. That was a particular problem for me.

Night Sky Maps - 10 chart (example)
NSM 10 Chart.jpeg
Night Sky Maps - 20 chart (example)
NSM 20 Chart.jpeg
Night Sky Maps - 30 chart (example)
NSM 30 Chart.jpeg
My Initial Impressions:

In looking at all three levels, I found the NSM to be generally attractive and pleasant to the eye. He utilizes black stars on a white background and colored DSO symbols (similar to the PSA, SA2000 and IDSA), a format of which I am quite fond. Some folks do not care for colored charts, feeling they are more difficult to read under a red light in the field, but I’ve never found that to be the case for myself. But of course the author developed these with more of a desk reference in mind. I do like that he omits the traditional Milky Way outline with a blue filled field. Though that feature is quite pretty in presentation, I find it somewhat distracting and not particularly useful for my purposes. Of course the reader’s mileage may vary.

Each side of the two page spread could be inserted into its own plastic sleeve and mounted in a traditional ring binder so that the whole chart is splayed out flat on the desk or table. Remember, for the 10 chart batch, there are 20 printed pages because of the double-spread format, and thus 40 and 60 for the larger versions. Each atlas set has two index pages, one for the northern hemisphere and one for the southern. They are each centered on the respective poles with an overlap for the equatorial region maps. On the second index chart there is a legend showing the symbols utilized to denote various types DSOs as well as the boundaries and grid lines.

I will note here that the right ascension and declination lines and their hour and degree labels are very in appearance, particularly when printed. Of course the author purposely did that as he doesn’t like heavily weighted coordinate lines and boundaries in a desk reference because he finds them distracting. He does however concede that for field use under a red light they do need to be more visible. Again, we fall back on his intended use for these atlases as a desk reference.

The 10 chart atlas is indeed pretty basic. Multiple constellations are fully contained on each double-spread chart and the fields are very much uncluttered by stars and DSOs alike. In fact, for the most part, the only galaxies that are shown are those found within the Messier list. However, there are a fair number of non-Messier open and globular clusters, as well as various classes of nebulae. Overall, it is a good basic atlas that gives a nice feel for the sky and its brightest objects for the most part. However, one thing that bugged me just a little is that for something like NGC 1499 (the California Nebula), the author only labeled it with the “nickname” and omitted the catalogue designation. While there is nothing wrong with annotating with the nickname, I really want to see the predominant catalogue designation as well. I also noted this trend for some other nebulae. While the author would label the embedded star cluster with a catalogue designation, the nebula itself might simply have the nickname. Again those are my personal druthers.

As one moves into the 20 chart atlas its increased depth is readily apparent. The proliferation of stars and DSOs plotted is quite noticeable. Fields that were totally devoid of DSOs in the first set might now be littered with them, and thus become more interesting. Here we get into a deeper layer of the night sky that will aid in both planning and observing. With the doubling of the number of charts, the resulting field of view is narrower and focused on smaller regions of the sky. Therefore, the clutter from the additional stars and DSOs is not significant, except in some particularly crowded areas like the Virgo Galaxy Cluster and the area between Sagittarius and Scorpius.

I noted in the 10 chart set that there were some objects that were plotted but unlabeled, presumably to lessen the clutter. This also increases in the 20 chart atlas. I find this a bit annoying. What I envision happening is that when one encounters several galaxies within the Virgo Cluster that are unlabelled then the observer will be forced to look elsewhere, such as the IDSA. But even that excellent atlas does not label all galaxies on its chart 45 and 57 coverage of this field. However, the IDSA authors did include two close-up charts (D2 and D3) which delve deeper into this vast field and does label all the plotted galaxies. So that raises the question of why include objects that one does not label. I suspect this may be inherent to the settings within CdC and the author’s wish not to overly clutter the field by labeling all objects.

Finally we get into the 30 chart set, the deepest of the whole project. As shown earlier this atlas plots stars to magnitude 9.3 and DSOs to magnitude 13.0. Even with the narrower field of view, though there are noticeably more stars and DSOs, the cluttering is fairly well controlled. However, we face the same issues as before – the absence of labeling for some objects. While for some that may not be truly critical, I personally find it annoying. When I look at a chart, I don’t like seeing mystery objects that I am forced to go elsewhere to identify.

My Thoughts:

I also noticed in my cross checks of the atlas that an incorrect designation pops up here and there. As we all know there are many items within the NGC/IC that contain multiple labels because of independent re-discoveries. This can often happen when the original discoverer’s positional information is not quite accurate and someone else comes along later and doesn’t find anything at that position. However, they do locate the original object but at slightly different coordinates and thus feel they have proved the original was non-existent, and that they have discovered a new object. So into the catalogue it goes under a new designation.

Eventually those that undertake unraveling these discrepancies uncover the truth that the original discoverer had merely miscalculated the position but their description was accurate. In most cases formal credit goes to that person and the accepted identifier is typically the one that had been assigned to that discovery. The others are simply erroneous duplications. So this kind of situation is not really significant, but can cause mild confusion from time to time. It can often times be found in almost any atlas in a few cases.

I will relate one instance that did irk me, and it’s not a problem with the NSM, rather one with the IDSA. As I was looking at the 30 chart set, on the left hand page of map 19, and comparing it to my IDSA chart 45, I made a discovery! In the very southwestern corner of Bootes where it borders Virgo, the NSM plotted two galaxies, NGC 5239 (mag 12.8) and UGC 8614 (mag 12.7), but the IDSA did not! I honestly was flabbergasted by this and had to check other references to insure to myself that these were accurately plotted. Checking Sky Tools 3, I indeed found these two galaxies plotted as indicated in the NSM. How and why they were omitted in the IDSA I cannot understand, as they easily fall within the plotting limits of the atlas. So I say bravo NSM and CdC, and shame on you IDSA for this oversight! I then penciled them into the IDSA for my use at a later time. :)

Overall, I find the NSM a user friendly charting project that hopefully prove useful for many observers. It does indeed have its limitations of course, and Olle very clearly states his purposes for creating it and his intended use. It is attractive and well laid out, yielding an increasingly deeper view of the sky. If one were to print out all three, they could be placed into sleeves and mounted within a ring binder to use as a desk reference, or in the field if one chooses and accepts its shortcomings in that environment. The labels and objects generally tend to be on the small size, so reading them under a red light might be a little challenging for some. I always have to use reading glasses anyway, so that is not especially an issue in my case.

If there were one major criticism I would voice about the atlas it would simply be the practice of plotting objects that are not labeled. If that has to be done in order to keep clutter down, then why not simply utilize the IDSA (or similar atlas) as a desk reference for planning purposes? I have always preferred an atlas that plots and labels deeper than I can see because I do not like finding objects that I cannot identify in the moment. Granted that can still occur with my 17.5 inch at our dark site using the IDSA and Uranometria. However, that is more the exception than the norm. But however deep my atlas of choice does plot, I want every object within its pages annotated with an identifier. That makes a more complete and useful package.

In conclusion, I wanted to bring this set of progressive atlases to your attention so that if interested, you could download them, review them and see if they are something that you might wish to employ. Personally, I am quite pleased to have them on my machine along with the TAP and DHSA. Though they share a commonality, they are each quite different. For my own planning sessions, I will continue to utilize the IDSA and/or Uranometria in league with Sky Tools 3, plus a few other sources. While I do not see myself utilizing the NSM, I do applaud Olle’s initiative to fill a personal niche and in turn make it available for others. To that end, I include below the links to NSM site, the Tri-Atlas Project site (not mine) and the Deep Sky Hunter Atlas site. Take a look at all of them, and make good use of them, because they are there for your enjoyment, free of charge!

Night Sky Maps: http://www.olle-eriksson.com/night-sky-maps/index.html

Tri-Atlas Project: https://allans-stuff.com/triatlas/

Deep Sky Hunter Atlas: http://www.deepskywatch.com/deep-sky-hunter-atlas.html
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Re: The Night Sky Maps – a personal observation

Post by Bigzmey »

Thanks for the review Alan. Looks like a nicely executed atlas. Using colors definitely helps to reduce the clutter.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
NGC 1365 Australia
Saturn Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by NGC 1365 »

Thanks for the review Alan. Do you use Wikisky at all. I find it useful for generating findercharts and for retrieving the magnitude of nearby comparison stars.
Ivan

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Bigzmey wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:07 am Thanks for the review Alan. Looks like a nicely executed atlas. Using colors definitely helps to reduce the clutter.
Thanks Andrey. Its not a bad atlas, just something I feel I will not truly utilize in any substantive manner. But again, I emphasize that he really did it to fill a personal need, which of course may not coincide with that of the next person. I am uncertain of your last statement however. I cannot see how using a color fill for a DSO symbol reduces clutter. The symbol and its label will still be present whether the symbol is color filled or not? But the use of colors does make the symbols stand out better in my view. :)
NGC 1365 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:58 am Thanks for the review Alan. Do you use Wikisky at all. I find it useful for generating findercharts and for retrieving the magnitude of nearby comparison stars.
Thanks Ivan. While I do utilize Wikisky from time to time during my research of objects, I do not typically utilize it for generating charts. I typically utilize Sky Tools 3 for that, as well as stellar magnitudes. But I also utilize other specific documents for printing out field charts for things such as Abell Galaxy Clusters, Hickson Groups, etc.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
10538 United States of America
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by 10538 »

Great review Alan! While I like to use the IDSA out at the scope I also use it along with SkySafari Pro to prepare my observing lists. I admit that there is nothing I enjoy more than scanning through various sky atlases on those nights when the weather won’t cooperate. Thanks for the links and all the hard work and time to provide us with this information. :text-thankyoublue:
Ed :Astronomer1:
Scopes: Orion 14 inch f/4.6 Dobsonian w/MoonLite focuser. Meade LX200 Classic 10”w/AudioStar and MoonLite focuser, Criterion RV6, Orion ST80A w/2” GSO micro focuser.
Eyepieces: ES 5.5mm 100*, 6.7mm 82*, 11mm 82*, 14mm 100*, 18mm 82*, 20mm 100*, Meade 9mm XWA 100*, 24mm UWA 82*, 56mm 50*, TV Delos 6,8 & 10mm, Panoptic 24, 27 & 35mm, 17mm Nagler, Powermate 2X, Baader 6mm Ortho, Paracorr II.
MISC: William Optics Binoviewer, Revolution 2 Imager, Orion Skyview Pro Mount, Skymaster 15x70, 20x70, 25x100 Binos, HoTech Collimator, Kendrick Dew System,Catsperch Chair.
Messier 110 Complete/ Messier 110 Sketches Complete / Herschel 400 Complete / H-2 and H-3 Complete
Bortle 3 Skies in Down Eastern NC
“Starlight, I hear you calling out to me so far away” Jeff Lynne ELO.
Dragonsfire Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Dragonsfire »

Thank you !
Neil
Orion XT8i Dob, ES AR102
9x50 RACI Finder, TELRAD Reflex Sight, Electro Dot Sight RD400X
Agena SWA 38mm 70 FOV 2" EP, Orion 25+10mm Sirius Plossl 52 FOV EP
ES 82* 11mm, 18mm 2", ES 68* 24mm, 6mm, 25mm Ortho. EP, Televue 3X Barlow,CS lens 2.8mm-12mm F1.4
Filters Baader Continuum, UV/IF cut, Lumicon UHC, DGM OIII. ND5/3.8 Kendrick
GX1 Lumix, E-PM2, ASI224mc, SteadyPix Deluxe, iOptron SkyTracker 7.7lb
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Thanks as well Alan, those are great links too! The only one I was aware of was the Deep Sky Hunter Atlas. Good review by you as well; and personally, I would be tempted to use Night Sky Maps at home, where my LP is pretty bad.

Thanks again and all the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Very nice review Alan, thank you.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

10538 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:05 am Great review Alan! While I like to use the IDSA out at the scope I also use it along with SkySafari Pro to prepare my observing lists. I admit that there is nothing I enjoy more than scanning through various sky atlases on those nights when the weather won’t cooperate. Thanks for the links and all the hard work and time to provide us with this information. :text-thankyoublue:
Thanks Ed. I find that the IDSA is certainly a good planning tool, as is Uranometria if I am aiming a bit deeper. I too enjoy looking through an atlas when I have the time to sit, relax and do so. I find that when I am not focused on working out an observing plan, that I often run across objects that pique my interest while just perusing. I also have a deep appreciation for the beauty of a nice printed atlas. :)
Dragonsfire wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:37 amThank you !
Thank you sir, hope you found it useful. :)
Thefatkitty wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:47 am Thanks as well Alan, those are great links too! The only one I was aware of was the Deep Sky Hunter Atlas. Good review by you as well; and personally, I would be tempted to use Night Sky Maps at home, where my LP is pretty bad.

Thanks again and all the best,
Many thanks Mark. The Tri-Atlas has been around for some time now, going through various updates. However, its original link hosted at the University of Valencia has been broken for over two years now. The originator of it, JR Torres, still has a page on the server, but the link to his atlas project is no longer working. Fortunately, Allan Hall now hosts the mirror site I linked to, so the Tri-Atlas does live on for everyone's use.

I hope that you can make use of the Night Sky Maps. I feel it is very much something that could be useful for the right circumstances. Again, Olle never truly intended it as a field atlas, but it certainly could be used in that manner. I find the 10 chart version is excellent for a beginner getting a feel for the layout of the sky and the relative positions of the Messier objects plus some other brighter objects. The only drawback might be the limited stellar depth for someone who is star hopping. The 20 and 30 chart versions certainly add a lot more to the mix and could keep many folks busy for some time to come. :)
Alan

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:42 am Very nice review Alan, thank you.
Thank you Gabrielle, it was my pleasure to highlight a resource that perhaps very few were aware of. :)
Alan

Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

A good downloadable atlas for people just starting out is the Mag 7 Star Atlas.
In colour, 21 pages A4 size and fairly well laid out.
https://archive.org/details/Mag_7_Star_Atlas/mode/2up

I have the black and white PDF charts as well if anyone is interested in them
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Another well known one that has been around for some time is Taki's 8.5 Mag Star Atlas, also hosted by Allan Hall:

https://allans-stuff.com/takis-8-5-magn ... tar-atlas/
Alan

helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

This is very good stuff, great links as well. Thanks Alan!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

helicon wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:37 pm This is very good stuff, great links as well. Thanks Alan!
You're quite welcome Michael. Hopefully we can find a place to park these various links as a resource for those who would like to check them out.
Alan

bladekeeper
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

Thanks for the heads up and thorough review, Alan! Bookmarking Olle's site now! :)
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

bladekeeper wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:13 pm Thanks for the heads up and thorough review, Alan! Bookmarking Olle's site now! :)
Thank you Bryan. Hope you can find a use for it. :)
Alan

Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Hi Alan, in response to you question. Colored atlases look less cluttered to me. I guess it is easier for brain to separate subsets by color. Easier to focus on one and ignore the others.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Bigzmey wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:00 am Hi Alan, in response to you question. Colored atlases look less cluttered to me. I guess it is easier for brain to separate subsets by color. Easier to focus on one and ignore the others.
That is kinda of what I thought you meant. That really isn't about clutter as such, but about recognition of the symbols because the colorization makes them stand out better from the background and one another. I find those atlases or charts that utilize only a black and white approach with no fill, are a little more difficult for myself because one can overlook an unfilled symbol easier than one that has a distinctive color fill.

As much as I like Uranometria, mostly because of its depth, I am not as fond of their simplistic approach of using no fills. I also prefer atlases that draw in the constellation stick figures, which Uranometria does not. I have become so accustomed to them being on charts that it helps me mentally visualize the constellation while looking at the sky. If I had a way of drawing the lines on the sky itself, I would do that as well! :lol: But of course ultimately we all like what we like for our own personal reasons.
Alan

Buckethead 2.0
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

Thanks for all this great material, Alan. These are the tools you showed me last week, but this article helps dig deeper vis your thoughts and reviews. Well done!
~Eric
Binos: Bushnell Falcon 10x50

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Buckethead 2.0 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:00 pm Thanks for all this great material, Alan. These are the tools you showed me last week, but this article helps dig deeper vis your thoughts and reviews. Well done!
Thank you Eric. I had almost forgotten about this review to be honest. Glad you found it interesting and hopefully you can find practical use for the information presented .
Alan