Annals of the Deep Sky - Volume 7 now available

Discuss astronomy books / magazines.
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Annals of the Deep Sky - Volume 7 now available

Post by kt4hx »

Just received a card in the mail from Willmann-Bell announcing that Volume 7 of the series is now available for the introductory price of $20.95 (+shipping). It covers the constellations Corona Borealis, Corvus, Crater and Crux. It is an excellent series, though limited in scope as far as the number of objects it covers. It does present some of the more recent scientific findings regarding some of the objects in each volume.

Though touted by some as an update of the seminal Burnham's Celestial Handbook, I would never call it that. The BCH is much more in depth as far as sheer volume of objects covered and its more of a true field guide than the more clinical approach of Annals. Though different approaches, I find them both as worthy of being in anyone's astronomy library.

Link: https://willbell.com/HANDBOOK/Annals.html
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Don Quixote
Articles: 0

Re: Annals of the Deep Sky - Volume 7 now available

Post by Don Quixote »

:?
kt4hx wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:27 pm Just received a card in the mail from Willmann-Bell announcing that Volume 7 of the series is now available for the introductory price of $20.95 (+shipping). It covers the constellations Corona Borealis, Corvus, Crater and Crux. It is an excellent series, though limited in scope as far as the number of objects it covers. It does present some of the more recent scientific findings regarding some of the objects in each volume.

Though touted by some as an update of the seminal Burnham's Celestial Handbook, I would never call it that. The BCH is much more in depth as far as sheer volume of objects covered and its more of a true field guide than the more clinical approach of Annals. Though different approaches, I find them both as worthy of being in anyone's astronomy library.

Order as soon as I got the notice from willbell.
This is a great series.
XCalRocketMan United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by XCalRocketMan »

Don Quixote wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:32 pm :?
kt4hx wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:27 pm Just received a card in the mail from Willmann-Bell announcing that Volume 7 of the series is now available for the introductory price of $20.95 (+shipping). It covers the constellations Corona Borealis, Corvus, Crater and Crux. It is an excellent series, though limited in scope as far as the number of objects it covers. It does present some of the more recent scientific findings regarding some of the objects in each volume.

Order as soon as I got the notice from willbell.
This is a great series.
Indeed. This is an item that my wife gets me every Christmas. Well worth it.
Scopes Celestron EdgeHD-11; William Optics GT102; William Optics ZS61; Criterion Dynamax-8 SCT
Mounts AP1100GTO mount w/APCCpro; iOptron iEQ30 Pro; Criterion Dynamax-8 SCT
Lenses Hyperstar-III; Celestron 0.7x FR; WO Flat/Reducer 0.8x
Guiding Celestron OAG w/ASI174mm mini; WO 50mm; Orion ST80
Cameras and Filters ZWO2600mm Pro w/Optolong 3nm NB and RGB; ZWOASI1600mm Pro (ZWO LRGB and Astrodon Ha-5nm, Oiii-3nm, Sii-5nm), QHY10, Canon 50D; ASI174mm mini; ASI462MC; ASI120MC
Misc Moonlite focuser on Edge - Feather-Touch focuser on GT102; ZWO EAF on ZS61; ZWO 2" and 31mm FWs; Kendrick Dew System, Temp-est Fans
Software NINA; PHD; APT; BYE; PI; APP; PSP; Registax; FireCapture; SharpCap
Blog at: SkyAndRockets
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Yep, I have gotten the latest volume the past few Christmases as well. Makes for a nice gift that the person who gives knows you appreciate. :)
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
SKEtrip United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by SKEtrip »

The email notification came in and it is on order 60 seconds later - My first Christmas present is now on the way - gotten it under the tree several times running too.
https://willbell.com/WillmannBellNL/Annals7.html
I like getting them with the initial deal and I've said it before, nobody packs & ships a book like Will-Bell.

The down side to this is when thinking about the release dates & timing I'm wondering if the series will last longer than me.
When V4 came out I did some projections on the length of the series. I'm kind of chuckling, the release rate has slowed &
the original estimates are looking optimistic:

From AF.net (May it rest in peace) November of 2016 when V4 came out:
Just did some projecting - at the current rate the totals will be:
20 volumes
@ 2 per year the final volume will be out about 2024.
7,000 + pages
20" of bookshelf space

Going to have to run the numbers again....
And for those of you who are looking to buy your first volume, Warning - they are like potato chips....

Alan - when do we start the TSS Altoholic sub-forum & threads?
AD10, SV102T, AR127 & ST80
M2 & SW AZEQ6 GT Mounts
ES82 11 18 24, ES100 5.5 9 14 20, KK Orthos, BCO's, Vixen HR 2.4, 3.4 Vortex 10X50,
ACD 75 Astro Mutt - Rest in Peace Wubby
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Robert A. Heinlein

SKEtrip United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by SKEtrip »

OK, made up a quick .xls. Here are the updated projections:

Catergory Nov. 2016 Est. Nov 2019 est.
# of volumes 20 21
Total Pages 7000 7400
Bookshelf space 20" 22.75"
Completion date 2024 2031*

Based on the rate of 1every 11 months, 14 volumes remaining.

Another interesting note, With this volume the total number of pages (2500) surpasses Burnham's total for all 3 volumes of close to 2200 pages.
AD10, SV102T, AR127 & ST80
M2 & SW AZEQ6 GT Mounts
ES82 11 18 24, ES100 5.5 9 14 20, KK Orthos, BCO's, Vixen HR 2.4, 3.4 Vortex 10X50,
ACD 75 Astro Mutt - Rest in Peace Wubby
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Robert A. Heinlein

pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

I've been thinking about these, but since I have a set of Burnham's which I rarely open, I'll probably take a pass. They would look nice on the shelf, I'm sure.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s