Harrington's STAR WARE

Discuss astronomy books / magazines.
mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Harrington's STAR WARE

Post by mikemarotta »

Star Ware: The Amateur Astronomer's Guide to Choosing, Buying, and Using Telescopes and Accessories by Philip S. Harrington; John Wiley and Sons, 2007.

You can find this on Google Books as the 3rd Edition (1995). https://www.google.com/books/edition/St ... iiSkLS04cC. I recommend buying the physical book in the current edition. You will refer to it often and mark it up for yourself. It has not been updated since 2007. So, some things have changed around the marketplaces, but not many. Most of the 417 pages are valuable information that you need to know.

Just for myself, I had three college classes in astronomy and had been certified as an operator on two different observatories, but my real learning as an observer has been over the past six years when I got my own 5-inch reflector. I now have four telescopes and a box of eyepieces. I wish that I had started with this book.

We live in a computerized society and our interfaces are very forgiving. Owning a telescope is a lot like owning a car. Once you make the purchase, you cannot just hit Ctrl-z or the Back Arrow. That said, when we get into discussions of which is good or better or best, I believe that almost any telescope is better than no telescope. That being as it may, good decisions just feel better because they are more rewarding on so many levels from your heart to your brain to your bank account.
Harrington Star Ware cover copy.jpg
Harrington's website is here: http://www.philharrington.net/sw2.htm. He warns that Amazon Kindle sells both the 3rd and 4th editions. He is also the author of Deep Sky: An Introduction, Touring the Universe Through Binoculars, and other books.
---------------------------------------
Michael E. Marotta
Astro-Tech 115 mm APO Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/6.47 Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/9.8 Refractor Bresser 8-inch Newtonian Reflector Plössls from 40 to 6 mm Nagler Series-1 7mm. nonMeade 14 mm. Mounts: Celestron AVX, Explore Twilight I Alt-Az, Explore EXOS German Equatorial
mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Harrington's STAR WARE

Post by mikemarotta »

Mine arrived on Christmas Eve. My wife picked up the mail yesterday. I originally borrowed it from the library, renewed it twice, and then decided that I need my own copy forever.

This is one reference that will be easy to recommend to newbies who ask our local club for help.
---------------------------------------
Michael E. Marotta
Astro-Tech 115 mm APO Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/6.47 Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/9.8 Refractor Bresser 8-inch Newtonian Reflector Plössls from 40 to 6 mm Nagler Series-1 7mm. nonMeade 14 mm. Mounts: Celestron AVX, Explore Twilight I Alt-Az, Explore EXOS German Equatorial