Does anyone use the RASC Observer's Guide?

Discuss astronomy books / magazines.
jrkirkham United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Does anyone use the RASC Observer's Guide?

Post by jrkirkham »

I have thought about it for years, but never ordered it. This year I ordered the 2021 USA version of the RASC Observer's Guide. I noticed that RASC has in depth tutorials on how to get the most out of the guide. I was just wondering if anyone on here has used the guide and, if so, what you thought of it?
Rob
Telescopes: 50mm refractor, ED80 triplet, 90mm makcass, 10" dob, 8"SCT, 11"SCT
Mounts: Celestron CGX, Orion Sirius + several camera tripods
Cameras: Canon 6D, Canon 80D, ZWO-ASI120MC
Binoculars: 10x50, 12x60, 15x70, 25-125x80
Observatory: SkyShed POD XL3 + 8x12 warm room
AL Projects Completed: Lunar #645, Outreach #0280, Universe Sampler #93-T, Binocular Messier #871, Messier #2521, Messier Honorary #2521, Constellation Hunter Northern Skies #112, Planetary Transit Venus #1, Galileo #26, Outreach Stellar 0280, Meteor Regular #157, Solar System Telescopic #209-I, Observer Award #1
AL Projects Currently in Process: Double Stars, Comet, Lunar Evolution
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Does anyone use the RASC Observer's Guide?

Post by KathyNS »

I get it every year as part of my membership in the RASC. I wouldn't be without it! Lots of good information in it, both recurring articles and yearly tables.

A local friend of mine, Dr. Roy Bishop, is a long-time member and past-president of the RASC, as well as having been a long-serving editor of the Handbook, and the author of many of its articles. Whenever anyone asks an astronomical question at a meeting, he is likely to reply, "It's in the Handbook." :)
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

There is some excellent information in the book, I think the last one I purchased was in 2015 though.
I probably should purchase a new one.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
Star Dad United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Star Dad »

I bought the 2018 one. I really should buy the next one. I think it was worth it. Just keep forgetting to purchase it.
"To be good is not enough when you dream of being great"

Orion 203mm/f4.9/1000mm, converted TASCO 114mm/f9/1000mm to steam punk, Meade 114mm/f9/1000, Coronado PST, Orion EQ-G, Ioptron Mini-Tower and iEQ30, Canon 70D, ASI120MM,ASI294MC, Ioptron SkyHunter
mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by mikemarotta »

I just got it and wish I had bought in when I started in 2014. In numismatics, we have a saying: "Buy the book before you buy the coin." Here, I say, "Buy the book before you buy the telescope."
jrkirkham wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:42 pm I have thought about it for years, but never ordered it. This year I ordered the 2021 USA version of the RASC Observer's Guide. I noticed that RASC has in depth tutorials on how to get the most out of the guide. I was just wondering if anyone on here has used the guide and, if so, what you thought of it?
In a world where you cannot buy anything for a dime, at USD 29.95 for its 352 pages, the book costs 8.5 cents per page. It is a bargain.

This is one of the few books that every hobbyist needs. The Observer’s Handbook is more like an annual almanac, a single reference that you can turn to for a broad range of useful information. (It is like the hefty World Almanac and Book of Facts as opposed to the skinny Old Farmer's Almanac.) Now in its 113th year, the RASC Handbook has been polished to the finest accuracy and precision. The writing is clear and concise, never over-simplified or needlessly detailed. And, of course, it provides positional data for the year 2021 for the planets, their observable moons, minor planets, stars, and deep space targets.

But 2021 aside, you will see in the comments here from [mention]Lady Fraktor[/mention] and [mention]Star Dad[/mention] that people use the same one year after year.

It is not the only book you need, and certainly not the only one you ever will need. It does deliver summaries and outlines about measuring time and space, telescope optics (14 pages including charts and formulas for magnification ranges), month-by-month viewing for the year (conjunctions, opposition, Lunar occultations for 18 cities from Halifax to Honolulu, moons of Jupiter and Saturn, Algol's minimums, etc.), eclipses, the Moon, Sun, planets (major and minor), asteroids and comets, the stars (of course: interesting stars, double stars, colored doubles, clusters, etc.), and deep sky objects.
KathyNS wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:25 pm I get it every year as part of my membership in the RASC. I wouldn't be without it! Lots of good information in it, both recurring articles and yearly tables.
The version for sale through USA retailers such as Astronomy magazine's "Science Shop" is a US edition.
---------------------------------------
Michael E. Marotta
Astro-Tech 115 mm APO Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/6.47 Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/9.8 Refractor Bresser 8-inch Newtonian Reflector Plössls from 40 to 6 mm Nagler Series-1 7mm. nonMeade 14 mm. Mounts: Celestron AVX, Explore Twilight I Alt-Az, Explore EXOS German Equatorial
jrkirkham United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by jrkirkham »

Thanks everyone, I went ahead and ordered it when I renewed my Astronomical League membership. After looking it over and can see that it is filled with useful information. I've already begun using it to plan sessions for 2021.
Rob
Telescopes: 50mm refractor, ED80 triplet, 90mm makcass, 10" dob, 8"SCT, 11"SCT
Mounts: Celestron CGX, Orion Sirius + several camera tripods
Cameras: Canon 6D, Canon 80D, ZWO-ASI120MC
Binoculars: 10x50, 12x60, 15x70, 25-125x80
Observatory: SkyShed POD XL3 + 8x12 warm room
AL Projects Completed: Lunar #645, Outreach #0280, Universe Sampler #93-T, Binocular Messier #871, Messier #2521, Messier Honorary #2521, Constellation Hunter Northern Skies #112, Planetary Transit Venus #1, Galileo #26, Outreach Stellar 0280, Meteor Regular #157, Solar System Telescopic #209-I, Observer Award #1
AL Projects Currently in Process: Double Stars, Comet, Lunar Evolution