Useful Tomes

Discuss astronomy books / magazines.
mcolbert
Saturn Ambassador
Articles: 0

Useful Tomes

Post by mcolbert »

In this section would it be possible to have people contribute their favourite or most useful books?

Sections could include but not be limited to; photography / imaging, atlases, observer's guides, and so on.

Then perhaps a sticky for novices?

A few to start things off;

Atlas of the Southern Sky - Massey and Quirk A good introduction to the Southern Hemisphere for the beginner.

Practical Astronomy with your calculator - Duffett-Smith. A convenient handbook.

Astrophotography - Legault. Another excellent introductory text.

Obviously to create a proper list, full author's details, ISBNs, publisher and so on would be included.

A follow on from this would then include journals, websites and fora, but one step at a time. ;)
Refractor - APQ 130 Reflector - Meade SCT Au coating. Mount - AYOMaster (on order)
Cameras - Blads, D70s, D3300, Lunar and Planetary Cameras (2)
DIY Glass - German military and opthalmic sourced items, AGFA AVIPHOT DIA C
Don Quixote

Re: Useful Tomes

Post by Don Quixote »

"The Clockwork Universe" Edward Dolnick.

Read it only if you are not a coward. :-)
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

I don't have ISBN numbers, but I've been checking various copies of Patrick Moore's practical astronomy series out of my community college library. These look like really good books for bino and small scope observers from what I've seen so far.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
jerryTheC
Earth Ambassador

Post by jerryTheC »

For an excellent overview of what sort of stuff is around, and what to look for when purchasing, with extra reference stuff on star testing etc,
I'd reccomend Dickinson and Dyer's _The Backyard Astronomer's guide_. Well worth reading _Before_ you go out to buy a scope. (US Publisher)

For inexpensive introductions (at least here in the UK) Philip's do a range of paperback astronomy books, around the size of a normal paperback.
Price typically around £8-£10, though they sometimes show up in discount bookshops at around £2-£3. All the ones I've read (about half a dozen
or so) have been well written.

Somewhat more expensive (and bigger) are the Patrick Moore's practical astronomy series published by Springer (despite the series name, most of them are written by other authors (including one of the AF mods). It's a big series, and - to me, anyway - somewhat of a mixed bag. There are a number of very good books, and also several that didn't appeal to me because I'd already got other stuff that covered the same area. That's one reason I like going
to the annual UK Astrofest exhibition - they usually have a stand there, so I can have a look and flip through the new titles to see if they interest me.

I also like Steven James O'Meara's observing guides.

And I also have to recommend tbe three volumes of Burnham's Celestial Handbook - the info is a bit dated these days, since they were written quite a few years back now, but the author's love for the subject shines through. Still available new, or as ebooks, but readily available second hand too.
--
Cats: Celestron N11GPS Refractors: Tak FS60C/CSV, WO ZD66, Vixen SS80, Tak FSQ106ED Bins:Bushnell 8x40, Celestron 15x80. Main Eyepieces: Vixen LVWs, Televue Naglers 12T4, 17T4, 2.5T6, Old Meade 2"40mm.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

I still have my Burnham's from about 40 years ago. Glad I never recycled them as I changed addresses over the years although I rarely refer to them nowadays.
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

I got three good ones for Christmas:

Mission Moon 3-D - David J. Eicher and Brian May
The 100 Best Astrophotography Targets - Ruben Kier
Your Place in the Universe: Understanding Our Big, Messy Existence - Paul M. Sutter

I'd say all three are useful tomes.

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Just stumbled on a copy of "The Year-Round Messier Marathon" by Pennington at Half Price Books for $12, so I grabbed it. I'd rank this with "Turn Left at Orion".

This would make a good addition to a beginner's library, but I think it could be good for more experienced observers as well, especially those who haven't bagged all the M-objects yet (like me - 40-ish to go). I really like the charts even though I have other atlases, Sky Safari, etc.
Baurice
Vendor
Vendor

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baurice »

pakarinen wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:33 pm I don't have ISBN numbers, but I've been checking various copies of Patrick Moore's practical astronomy series out of my community college library. These look like really good books for bino and small scope observers from what I've seen so far.
I have written 4 books in that series!

The series is mostly aimed at intermediate astronomers. However, they were unwilling to publish a beginner book.
Baurice
Vendor
Vendor

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baurice »

I'd add Stuart Clark's books. They are more about the history of science than practical observing and photography but a very good read, nevertheless.

I have a personal bias but I couldn't put them down.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

I'll suggest one more - this is for people learning their way around the sky, but still fun to skim, sort of like the ancient "Sky Observers Guide".

"Discover the Stars" by Berry. Nice monthly constellation charts and some more detailed maps.

I rediscovered a copy on my bookshelf yesterday while starting to cull the herd.
DEnc United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by DEnc »

Here are my favorites:--

The Handbook of Astronomical Image Processing, R. Berry and J. Burnell. A lot of great background on image processing. I have the associated software but I prefer PixInsight and MPO/Canopus for what I’m doing.

The Scientist and Engineer’s Guide to Digital Signal Processing, S.W. Smith. Free PDFs of the individual chapters are available. Very readable, great background on sampling theorem and Fourier transforms, among many other things.

A Practical Guide to Lightcurve Photometry and Analysis, B.D. Warner. Background for CCD photometry with a really helpful breakdown of photometric calibration. Applications for observing asteroids and variable stars. There is a companion software, MPO/Canopus, and I rely on it for astrometry and photometry.

Inside PixInsight, W.A. Keller. There are tons of videos on the web, but having a hard copy of this great overview is really helpful.

https://www.willbell.com/aip/
http://www.dspguide.com/pdfbook.htm
https://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/ ... 19-32750-1
https://www.springer.com/gp/book/9783319256825
515bonner United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by 515bonner »

1. Night Sky Observer's Guide, Vol. 1 & 2
2. Rukl's Atlas of the Moon
3. Craters of the Near Side Moon
14.5" f/5.3 Starmaster with Sky Commander XP4 | 9.25" Celestron SCT | 8" f/7 Starmaster (only 5 made) with Sky Commander V3
6" f/12 Orion 150mm Mak | 4" f/9 Celestron Refractor (Vixen) | 80mm f4 unbranded refractor
iOptron CEM40 | iOptron Cube Pro
Large Assortment of Nagler and Konig Eyepieces | ZWO ASI290MC & ZWO ASI120MM-s Cameras

Member of the Astronomical Society of Kansas City / Astronomical League
Member of the British Astronomical Association
V.P. of Occultation Services, International Occultation Timing Association
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

I guess this is a little bit of retrospect, but I still enjoy the book my father gave me the summer before I turned 6, back in 1971, which was A Dipper Full of Stars. Obviously dated, it's still a nice intro to the heavens, with the mythology behind the naming. This was "the book" that got me started, and I still have it :D

Obviously dated; first published in 1944:

IMG_9046 (2).jpg

Amazon has it here: A Dipper Full of Stars

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Oh yeah, and Solar Cycle 25 :D

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

"The Universe" from the Time-Life Nature Library which I borrowed from a school friend got me started. Fabulous pre-Hubble pics. I found a used copy several years ago and snatched that puppy. That one goes to the nursing home with me when I go...
Jay6821 United States of America
Earth Ambassador

Post by Jay6821 »

"Turn Left At Orion" is a favorite of mine, and considered a classic read by many.
Celestron NexStar Evolution 8, StarSense AutoAlign, 1.25 "Stellarvue Dielectric Diagonal, Celestron X-Cel LX eyepieces, 2" Celestron diagonal, 2" Luminos eyepieces

Celestron Wedge, Canon EOS 7D

Oberwerk 20x65 ED Deluxe binoculars, Oberwerk 8x42 Sport ED binoculars, Oberwerk Series 4000 tripod with Series 5000 head, Oberwerk Series 2000 monopod (for airline travel)

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

I have to add one to the list: "The Monthly Sky Guide" by Ridpath and Tirion. I picked up a clean, used copy at Half Price Books for $6.

Geared toward beginners, but I really like it - monthly sky maps and several more detailed constellation / region maps showing things like the location of the Veil, etc. The monthly maps are in a nice at-a-glance form and there's a reasonably detailed correct image lunar map. Another cool feature is they use the outstretched fist method for approximating angular distances. Great for naked eye observers.

The downside is the planetary positions in my 9th edition only go through 2017, but those are easy enough to look up on "S&T" or wherever.

I do wonder if Cambridge will be publishing any more editions. I thought I read they're getting out of amateur publications.
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 584

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Probably the most influential for me was "Find the Constellations" by H.A. Rey. I also more recently got Turn Left at Orion. Now I use the Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas. I also enjoyed the Time Life book "The Universe" as @pakarinen mentions.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi Olen and all. I was not aware of the "The Monthly Sky Guide" by Ridpath and Tirion. These are two giants in astronomy publications. Ian Ridpath is the editor of the Norton's Star Atlas and Wil Tirion is a master celestial cartographer and his star charts are used in all of the high quality publications. The below picture will illustrate what I mean:
Astro Books.JPG
My edition of the Cambridge Double Star Atlas is from 2004. By 2006 they started including the PAs (positional angles) of the double stars. As to current offerings, I still see a wide variety of fairly recent Cambridge publications offered by Amazon and other sellers.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by mikemarotta »

Sky & Telescope's Pocket Sky Atlas, Jumbo Edition, by Roger W. Sinnott, AAS Sky Publishing, 2020. $41.95 (80 pages plus 30 (xxx))
There's lots of star charts and sky maps out there and the one that's best is the one you like. That said, this book meets the highest standards of cartography. It is easy to read, indexed, and cross-indexed, with tables for constellations, Messier Catalog, Patrick Moore's Caldwell Catalog, and now Carbon Stars.

Star Ware: The Amateur Astronomer's Guide to Choosing, Buying, and Using Telescopes and Accessories, 4th Edition, by Philip S. Harringon, 2007, John Wiley and Sons (417 pages)
Now somewhat dated for lack of today's newest product releases, this book remains the primary resource to explain all of the basic instruments and supporting hardware that comprise the "telescopes" we use. This includes the mounts, tripods, focussers, lenses, eyepieces as well as theoretical optics, (and simple geometry to explain that). Even though the book has not been updated, Harrington does have a website: https://www.philharrington.net with updates and extensions.

Observer's Handbook: 2021, James S. Edgar, editor, The Royal Astronomical Society of Canada, (352 pages).
This is the 113th edition. You do not necessarily need a new one every year, but you do need at least one. The RASC also supports a USA edition. From the basic mathematics of telescopes and eyepieces to detailed summaries of what to expect when viewing the Moon, Sun, planets, stars, minor planets,comets, and the deep sky, this handbook is a reliable reference for beginning and advanced amateurs.

Burnham's Celestial Handbook, 3 volumes, by Robert Burnham, Jr., Dover Publications, 1966, 1978. (2138 pages)
Despite the extreme age of the work, it is as close as we have to an Encyclopedia for Amateur Astronomers and it was written by a professional working at the Yerkes Observatory in Flagstaff, Arizona. And he wrote it for himself. Burnham built massive 3-ring binders of compiled information about all of the research topics in his purview. This book was published from those notebooks. It is organized in alphabetical order by constellation. Within each is a list of double and multiple stars, a list of variable stars, a list of star clusters, nebulae, and galaxies. Each list is a table with relevant data of names, catalog citations, RA and DEC location, magnitudes, etc. Following those tables are descriptive notes about each special target star or other object. In addition, the chapters are supported by cultural notes for context, mythology, history, etc. Moreover, the book is loaded with photographs, charts, and graphs. Burnham died alone and socially isolated. Everyone thought that this Robert Burnham was the Robert Burnham working at Sky & Telescope. He would show up at sidewalk star parties, standing at the back, watching people being introduced to the sky. You can find these all over at used bookstores and second-hand shops in your town or online for about $35 a set. There is no better bargain in astronomy.
---------------------------------------
Michael E. Marotta
Astro-Tech 115 mm APO Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/6.47 Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/9.8 Refractor Bresser 8-inch Newtonian Reflector Plössls from 40 to 6 mm Nagler Series-1 7mm. nonMeade 14 mm. Mounts: Celestron AVX, Explore Twilight I Alt-Az, Explore EXOS German Equatorial
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

mikemarotta wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:42 pm
Burnham's Celestial Handbook, 3 volumes, by Robert Burnham, Jr., Dover Publications, 1966, 1978. (2138 pages)
Despite the extreme age of the work, it is as close as we have to an Encyclopedia for Amateur Astronomers and it was written by a professional working at the Yerkes Observatory in Flagstaff, Arizona. And he wrote it for himself. Burnham built massive 3-ring binders of compiled information about all of the research topics in his purview. This book was published from those notebooks. It is organized in alphabetical order by constellation. Within each is a list of double and multiple stars, a list of variable stars, a list of star clusters, nebulae, and galaxies. Each list is a table with relevant data of names, catalog citations, RA and DEC location, magnitudes, etc. Following those tables are descriptive notes about each special target star or other object. In addition, the chapters are supported by cultural notes for context, mythology, history, etc. Moreover, the book is loaded with photographs, charts, and graphs. Burnham died alone and socially isolated. Everyone thought that this Robert Burnham was the Robert Burnham working at Sky & Telescope. He would show up at sidewalk star parties, standing at the back, watching people being introduced to the sky. You can find these all over at used bookstores and second-hand shops in your town or online for about $35 a set. There is no better bargain in astronomy.
Mike,
Thanks for your post.
I need go no further than my bookshelves to find the Burhams set which I have owned for coming up to 40 years.
IMG_1599.jpeg
IMG_1598.jpeg
You will also see "Observational Astronomy for Amateurs," and "Amateur Astronomers Handbook" both by Sidgwick and "How to Build a Telescope" by Jean Texereau. I don't recommend the latter for most people, a lot of the book deals with mirror grinding, polishing, and optical testing.

I also have a small collection of paper Star Atlases - Nortons, the Herald Bobroff Atlas, and the Skalnate Pleso Field Edition (all pictured) and the Tirion 2000 field edition (not pictured). If I do use an atlas at the telescope, I still like the Skalnate because it's in plastic sleeves. When I was 19, I bought some sheets of tough plastic from a department store and my lovely late mother cut the sheets and sewed them into large plastic pockets on her semi industrial sewing machine.
IMG_1601.jpg
I also have the NASA Five Millennium Canons of Solar And Lunar Eclipses and their respective catalogues and I have kept the solar eclipse bulletins that NASA used to publish before modern online tools made them somewhat redundant.
IMG_1600.jpg
Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members)